• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MVM Acquires Four Unnamed Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This gets me excited.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
You're not the only one Smile

I'll look forward to finding out the titles Smile (although my wallet it protesting already).
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
"classics" after seeing so many people call shows like Cowboy Bebop classic I'm kinda worried about them being just some old shows from ADV's 1999/2000 library.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Has MVM ever released a sub-only version before? I don't recall any. Anyway I'm looking forward to see what these 4 are.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mayo Chiki! was already announced last year as being moved to 2013. So.... 3 new licenses really.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Mayo Chiki isn't one of these four titles.
The new sub-only title is something from 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh I hope it's Sankarea
Takuku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Has MVM ever released a sub-only version before? I don't recall any. Anyway I'm looking forward to see what these 4 are.

It's release of Mayo Chiki is going to be sub only after Sentai confirmed there was no dub for it's planned release.

So said title will probably be their 2nd sub only release.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:

The Urusei Yatsura Movies and OVA springs to mind
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
"classics" after seeing so many people call shows like Cowboy Bebop classic I'm kinda worried about them being just some old shows from ADV's 1999/2000 library.

Please. Whether you like Cowboy Bebop or not, it is a classic, unless you're just objecting because you think it's too recent to be eligible for classic status until more time has passed since it's release, in which case fair enough. More importantly, it's an exceptionally popular show, so I don't think the line of reasoning of "they called Cowboy Bebop a classic so these shows will probably just be some random average/crap stuff" follows. But it's reasonable to have doubts. I hope they announce at least one title that you want.

If they're shows that are new to the u.k., that makes it harder to guess... though I wonder if perhaps the one that's a rerelease might be Noir or Gurren Lagann?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Please. Whether you like Cowboy Bebop or not, it is a classic, unless you're just objecting because you think it's too recent to be eligible for classic status until more time has passed since it's release, in which case fair enough. More importantly, it's an exceptionally popular show, so I don't think the line of reasoning of "they called Cowboy Bebop a classic so these shows will probably just be some random average/crap stuff" follows. But it's reasonable to have doubts. I hope they announce at least one title that you want.

If they're shows that are new to the u.k., that makes it harder to guess... though I wonder if perhaps the one that's a rerelease might be Noir or Gurren Lagann?

I expect the re-rerelease to be one of the Geneon titles that MVM have lost the licence to in the past year, possibly Haibane Renmei or R.O.D. The TV, most likely Lain, (although I hope it isn't Lain yet, as it seems that none of the four will be released on Blu-ray, and I want Lain on Blu-ray)
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

I was using Cowboy Bebop as an example of the fact too many people call shows that are 10 to 15 years old classics where as shows like Lupin III and Galaxy Express 999 get ignored and those two are what I'd class as classics so I was just saying that these "classics" might not be what people are hoping for.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
So in other words it was the second thing I said? Then we're in agreement, I also think that it's frustrating that pre-90s anime hardly ever get licensed for the u.k. market.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
yeah just clearing up that it wasn't about like or dislike as i did enjoy the show but i feel it's sorta over hyped a bit anyhoo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1