• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm waiting for the one about the wolf-boy and his nemesis, the money eating goat.

I'm waiting for the one about excellent characters playing engrossing card games, A.K.A. the best show of the season.

I didn't know there was going to be a new season of Yu-Gi-Oh!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Oh, Fence. I think dtm's referring to the Anti-YuGiOh.

You know, the one with superior unedited English cards.

This season's looking pretty thin so far for me. Aside from some carryovers from Fall, it's mostly going to be backlog season. Which is sort of hilarious considering I had the same issue last year.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm waiting for the one about the wolf-boy and his nemesis, the money eating goat.

I'm waiting for the one about excellent characters playing engrossing card games, A.K.A. the best show of the season.

Well, me too. But the one with the goat starts tonight, so I'm waiting to check it out.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Maoyu... hmm.... I don't think I'm going to like this one. The political intrigue and fantasy setting sound kind of cool, but the first episode was just a massive info dump which did zero to make me like these main two characters. The "Hero" seems like a total idiot, without any distinguishing features at all. He seems kind of like a more or less incompetent version of Kirito from SAO, which is VERY bad. Very very bad... The Demon King seems kind of interesting, and I'm sure that the fact that each of her boobs is bigger than her head will endear her to many of the male audience. She does seem to have some personality to her, but the introduction between her and hero was so heavily contrived and kind of awkward. I don't think I've ever seen a show get straight to the point so fast, as far as bringing two protagonists together and having them go from mortal enemies to lovers in like a few minutes. This show might get better now that this awful first episode is over, but I'm definitely iffy here.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

He knew what I meant. Fencey is many things, but he's no philistine.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

He knew what I meant. Fencey is many things, but he's no philistine.

Its still the most overrated-but-still-actually-good show in recent memory.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its still the most overrated-but-still-actually-good show in recent memory.

Something can't be overrated if it lives up to the hype. Now Kids on the Slope on the other hand . . .
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
All these discussions about the title of Mangirl! Razz Regardless, that's the official title:

Whether it makes sense or not, the mangaka can call it whatever he/she wants

Last edited by eaglestorm on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Maoyu
I really like the idea behind the show. A deconstruction of fantasy tropes mixed in with some political commentary. And there is some real-world truth to it as well, the Mongol Empire was only stable when it was conquering--the center could only hold when the outsides where expanding. And the Eastern Roman Empire and the Persians, two ancient and mighty empires, fought each other to the point of exhaustion, so that they barely could manage a whimper when Mohammad brought his army up out of the desert and rolled over them. Sparta and Athens fought a terrifying conflict that lasted 27 years, and it was not too much longer after Sparta's victory that they themselves collapsed from exhaustion, leaving Greece a shattered land that was easy conquered by Phillip of Macedon. The idea of conflict for economic reasons is a clever one too, we can not forget our current military-industrial complex, and in the Thirty Years War, Sweden deliberately extended the conflict so it could ransack enough land to pay off its mercenaries. In short, I'm seeing a smart, intelligent show in the same kind of vein as Spice and Wolf.

That said, the rest of the show left much to be desired. The animation was weak, the character designs bland and too much of the show was spent on stupid ero-gags that were unoriginal and unfunny. What made Spice and Wolf fun was the interaction between Lawrence and Holo. Whether the Demon and the Hero can repeat that chemistry remains to be see. But I really hope they do, this could be a really cool show.

As for the shorts, the only one I saw was the Mountain Climbing one, which was obvious and boring. Shorts just don't do it for me. It hard seems worth the effort, you know. I won't be watching any of them.

Next up on my list is Minami-ke 4, the boob-ninja show, and the "Let me get this straight, does anyone not have amnesia?" show. Oh, and Monkey Punch's latest weirdness. Really looking forward to that one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:

The English title doesn't have to follow the Manga's title, it can be something completely different. Something that won't result in awkward explanations to loved ones about why you're watching a show called "Mangirl".
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The English title doesn't have to follow the Manga's title, it can be something completely different. Something that won't result in awkward explanations to loved ones about why you're watching a show called "Mangirl".

I beg to differ on that point. Where there's no official English title, then and only then, a suitable translated title or romaji tile can be used. Otherwise, the original title should always be retained.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
OT NOTE: Just wanted to help out and noticed something Smile
The Banner ad for the Preview guide is cut off on the right hand side. I think something with the Shana ad perhaps? I'm running newest ver of Firefox, so not sure if it looks different on IE or Chrome.

Nothing so far seems to be of much interest yet but I will see what others come on the way Smile
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Damn. The premise of Maoyu sounds fascinating to me, but from the preview material and the reviews, it also sounds like it has enough pandering to a hypothetical all-teenage-male audience to make me want to hurl my monitor against the wall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Do people still operate under the impression that somehow these titles are unapproved English translations?

Every single show you see simulcasted, released in English officially on DVD or anywhere else has an English-language title that was dictated by the production company that licensed out the work. There is no one at Crunchyroll who gets to decide what the English title is - ever. They are all thoroughly approved by the R2 company responsible for production. Nothing you see is the result of some errant translator making a bad or too-literal choice.

If you wanna blame someone for weird English titles, it's all on Japan.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
eaglestorm wrote:

Tell them that they can fudge off if they're so goddamn narrowminded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 49