• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sekirei DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
Also, they don't stand for poor treatment. For instance, Seo's twin-Sekirei constantly get on his case about his attitude and smack-him-down several times throughout the series when he acts up.

Sounds like mere tsundere. :p

....you obviously won't watch the show, and have some unexplainable need to dislike it anyways, so I'll decline from explaining to deaf ears Rolling Eyes .
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I've liked the series much so far... second disc tonight. One thing is the ISN'T the "complete series" It's the first of at least 2 hopefully 3 of them...
Another thing... don't bail after one ep, or even 2. If you hate it after 4 then it's not for you. In 3 and 4 it hits it's stride that pulls you in.
What I am finding is on rewatch I am seeing even more to like about the hero, and earlier. Initially we, and our hero, know nothing about this "plan" and what he finds out brings the darkness. Admittedly it moves pretty fast, so there are things that are glossed over that would make it a bit richer... particularly how quickly the hero accepts his situation.

Yeah, he is initially a thinking wimp. We see them so damn often, but it also gives him a great territory to move from. This also give him a great depth to plumb, and is very much a reason that Sekerei give themselves to him. THAT is very important. The series goes to great pains to separate the people who regard this as a game, and the ones who regard it as lives.

The speed with which characters grow, would be better served by a longer buildup, but that's just a wish.

I am also particularly amused by the older character Seo and his 2 Sekirei the Thunder Twins, not just as comic relief, but the deeper meanings and way he centers what the Ashikabi are about. The fact that his twins keep electrocuting him when he hasn't really done anything is just Icing.

there is a lot of fan-service to get past, too true. Didn't fan service used to just mean jiggling? Here we are talking anatomically correct oppai, though sometimes there is some betweening off model drift generally. at least the well endowed have appropriate other curves. There are many secondary characters that have normal sizing, including the hero's mother and sister, one of the Twins, and Miya who is the Pillar with a secret, that much of this revolves around.

I'll be interested to see where this all goes in the second series, whenever funimation puts that out.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a case of a show I actually like but the marketing of it turns my stomach because it overemphasizes one aspect of the show (fan service) to the detriment of other aspects of the show i.e. character devlopment.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
But the marketing was obviously effective, seeing as how all copies in the first run of Sekirei were sold rather quickly, so one can't fault FUNimation for knowing what sells.

That said, the show has frequent nudity and lots of bounce. It's obvious to see why it was made and why people buy it.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Another thing... don't bail after one ep, or even 2. If you hate it after 4 then it's not for you. In 3 and 4 it hits it's stride that pulls you in.

Why? I hated it after the first ep, so why would I subject myself to more even it it supposedly gets better. That doesn't negate the awfulness of the beginning. Now, if I had an ambivalent reaction to the first episode instead, I would watch a few more to determine if I wanted to keep watching. I do that all the time. Sometimes the shows work out, sometimes they're barely watchable, and sometimes I eventually drop them. But, that first episode of Sekirei was chock full of all the things I hate about anime and none of the things I like, so I don't need any more episodes to know that it's not for me.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
if you only watch 1 episode of a show, then you can only have an opinion of that episode, you would have to watch the whole season in order to form a proper opinion of it, even if the show starts out horrible, once I start watching it, I have to finish it, in order to be able to make a proper review of it,

there have been shows that start slow, then there are shows that are great for the first few episodes, then die a horrible death after that, but you will never know, unless you watch the whole thing,

that's like going to watch a movie, and walking out 15 minutes later, because it started out bad, granted I did do that with one movie, but because of that, I wont comment on how bad the movie was, since I didn't see the whole thing
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
By the way, does anyone know why Funimation uses the term "to emerge" in most of the dub/subs to refer to when a sekirei is bonded to an ashikabi? In every other translation that I've seen of either the anime or the manga, the term "to be winged" is used. I've never seen the term emerge used with regards to Sekirei before this, and there are several places in the dub where they refer to winging even though the subs still say emerge in those spots. I have to wonder why they chose the term emerge instead of winging, particularly when they didn't even entirely stick to it. Winging makes a lot more sense to me too. It would be nice to know why the change was made.

Blood- wrote:
@ PrettyKitty20034 - actually, even though I ended up being a fan of the show, I wasn't crazy about the first two eppies, either. I think it was only around episode three that the series kicked in for me.

Less than half of the second season is from the manga. Most of it is filler. The beginning of the second season is more elaborate than what happens in the manga (particularly since they moved some of the events that happened in the manga at the end of the first season into the second season in the anime - in particular, in the manga, spoiler[Kazehana got winged right before helping to throw the escaping ashikabi and his sekirei across the bridge, whereas in the anime, she did it on her own, and they had a small arc after that to get her winged]), and the second half of the second season is just totally filler. The problem is that after spoiler[Homura is winged], the manga goes into the next stage, and last I heard, it hadn't even finished that stage yet (it appears to be a rather long one, and the manga is coming out slowly). So, they didn't have enough episodes to really get into the next part of the story, and they opted for filler. The overall result is that less than half of the second season is based on the manga, whereas the entire first season is based on the manga. So, quality problems are likely going to be due to that. Hopefully the next season (whenever it comes out) actually manages to focus on adapting the manga rather than creating filler.

Fronzel wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I hate it when FUNi uses "boobs" as a method to advertise the show. I find it really stupid and misleading.

It's not misleading at all. This show exist (at least in part) to display cartoon boobs. The women could have been drawn with reasonable chests, but they aren't.

LOL. Much as I like Sekirei, I must agree that the women tend to have ridiculously large breasts. The result actually starts to become unattractive in my opinion. As good looking as the women are, I think that they'd look better with more realistic proportions than they have.

But Sekirei does a much better job than many shows like this on focusing on characters and character development, and I think that the end result is quite good. So, it is somewhat misleading in that Sekirei has more depth than you'd typically expect for a show that focuses on fanservice this much, but it's definitely a very fanservice-laden show, and while it does have more to it than your typical fanservice-laden, fighting show (particularly considering that it's also a harem show), it is far from the deepest show ever. I think that it's well worth watching though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Well I kinda thought it would have gotten bad grades since every single harem series as well as over the top ecchi/fanservice series also gets axed, this review has me very happy but shocked.

The last ones in these generes to get good grades were Strike Witches as well as Queens Blade (which in a way have some similatries) Also having the same studio that also did my fav magical girl series ( Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha) is also a big plus.

Also since I am also a dub person having it's grade higher than the sub means it's a really really good one too. Hopefully it'll change people's minds on Funi's dubs since some people think that unless it's a FMA or DBZ or OP series , Funi's dubs / infamous rewrites suck .

I was already gonna get it cause I am a die hard fanservice junkie, but this review now I'll definitely geting this and the blue ray version too when it releases.

Quote:
If you're concerned about the potential loli aspect that Kusano introduces, her fanservice scenes are limited to adorable costumes, including a wagtail bird outfit that references the meaning of the word Sekirei

Damn. Crying or Very sad

I was kinda hoping it would have had more fanserive with Kusano. Possibly to the same level as Strike Witches or in the magical girl preety sammy OVA (that I would love to have seen) or possibly like on Kodomo no Jikan. Hey , that fanservice worked well with Strike Witches , it may work with this character,wont it? And I am one person is all for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well I kinda thought it would have gotten bad grades since every single harem series as well as over the top ecchi/fanservice series also gets axed, this review has me very happy but shocked.

The last ones in these generes to get good grades were Strike Witches as well as Queens Blade (which in a way have some similatries) Also having the same studio that also did my favorite magical girl series ( Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha) is also a big plus.

If you'll notice, the reviewer is the same person who reviewed Strike Witches and is not one of the typical reviewers here on ANN. He's someone from the forums that liked Strike Witches, wanted a good review of it, and was able to write one which Zac was willing to post. It appears that Zac has decided that he's a good reviewer to have for some of these types of shows, so here he is again.

jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
If you're concerned about the potential loli aspect that Kusano introduces, her fanservice scenes are limited to adorable costumes, including a wagtail bird outfit that references the meaning of the word Sekirei

Damn. Crying or Very sad

I was kinda hoping it would have had more fanserive with Kusano. Possibly to the same level as Strike Witches or in the magical girl preety sammy OVA (that I would love to have seen) or possibly like on Kodomo no Jikan. Hey , that fanservice worked well with Strike Witches , it may work with this character,wont it? And I am one person is all for it.

Loli fanservice is fairly rare overall. There are shows which do it, but it's not all that common. And out of those that do do it, there's only a small number which will ever get licensed here. It's just asking for legal trouble in many cases, regardless of how it's viewed by many anime fans.

As for Sekirei, Kusano is definitely a token loli. She's a good character to have around, but she's not there for fanservice. The fanservice focuses on the big-breasted gals - of which there are many. If loli fanservice is your thing, Sekirei is definitely the wrong place to look.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
The overall result is that less than half of the second season is based on the manga, whereas the entire first season is based on the manga. So, quality problems are likely going to be due to that. Hopefully the next season (whenever it comes out) actually manages to focus on adapting the manga rather than creating filler.

Ah, did not know that. Yeah, that would explain why I was less satisfied with the second season versus the first. Pity that so often when an anime version runs out of source material the new stuff is noticeably weaker.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Never cared about marketing but I knew Sekirei was going to be a huge force for Funimation. Both season's are good and I'm willing to see where this would go for S3 and not said this once but AS or SyFy could pick this up and becomes a ratings smasher on late night television and possibly a franchise hit, all you need to do is get T&A and consistent plot to ring them in.

The only reason why Sekirei had their dubbing better: spoiler[Because of Jamie Marchi as Uzume that what saved it.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Quote:
If memory serves, this is the 2nd T&A anime this year that's been released that's supposed to be "better than the norm".

The first is Strike Witches(yes, T&A might not completely apply to that but... you get me).

Don't forget about Martial Hearts.

No one called Martial Hearts better than the norm. At least, no one I've seen. Theron's review gave it pretty much C's across the board, implying it was thoroughly average.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Loli fanservice is fairly rare overall. There are shows which do it, but it's not all that common. And out of those that do do it, there's only a small number which will ever get licensed here. It's just asking for legal trouble in many cases, regardless of how it's viewed by many anime fans.

As for Sekirei, Kusano is definitely a token loli. She's a good character to have around, but she's not there for fanservice. The fanservice focuses on the big-breasted gals - of which there are many. If loli fanservice is your thing, Sekirei is definitely the wrong place to look.

ah I know that. Sure loli fanserivce is my fav (hence my avatar of Nanoha & Fate) Laughing

But overall I like ALL fanservice including harem fanservice along as it has a interesting storyline as well as a good english dub.

I have been saying that I'm a die hard fanservice junkie after all Laughing .

it was also the reason i can watch all fanservice and ecchi /harem type series no problem. even the so called bad ones are ok in my view. Which was why i got the same type series like Queens Blade & Strike Witches. Even the so called bad ones like Girls Bravo , Popotan and many others i already have in my collection. So I was gonna get serikei without the review. Though one with good grades would also help if it means that it sells well.

Kalessin wrote:
If you'll notice, the reviewer is the same person who reviewed Strike Witches and is not one of the typical reviewers here on ANN. He's someone from the forums that liked Strike Witches, wanted a good review of it, and was able to write one which Zac was willing to post. It appears that Zac has decided that he's a good reviewer to have for some of these types of shows, so here he is again.

That's a good thing. Hopefully he's here for a long time to come cause for some reason unless the harem series was from one of Ken Akamastu's gold mines (Love Hina & Negima ) most of the harem series get the brush off.

I gives me hope that Sora no Otishimosho (I think that's it's name though I could be wrong) as well as Rosario + Vampire might get decent grades.

Also What the heck is Martial Hearts??? I've never heard of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
Also, they don't stand for poor treatment. For instance, Seo's twin-Sekirei constantly get on his case about his attitude and smack-him-down several times throughout the series when he acts up.

Sounds like mere tsundere. :p

R315r4z0r wrote:
I hate it when FUNi uses "boobs" as a method to advertise the show. I find it really stupid and misleading.

It's not misleading at all. This show exist (at least in part) to display cartoon boobs. The women could have been drawn with reasonable chests, but they aren't.

Yes, but they don't need to plaster the words on the cover. Still remember 'Plastic Little' and the infamous jiggle counter that the distributer was so proud of.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
The overall result is that less than half of the second season is based on the manga, whereas the entire first season is based on the manga. So, quality problems are likely going to be due to that. Hopefully the next season (whenever it comes out) actually manages to focus on adapting the manga rather than creating filler.

Ah, did not know that. Yeah, that would explain why I was less satisfied with the second season versus the first. Pity that so often when an anime version runs out of source material the new stuff is noticeably weaker.

I actually think that the first part of the second season which differs from the manga manages to improve on what's in the manga, but the second half is a total tangent. The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure that the manga was far enough along when the first season finished that they could have created the second season at that point, because all of the relevant pieces had already been in the manga. But they still have to pace them out, I suppose, and putting out a second season quicker would have made the wait for the third season that much longer, I expect. That, and they may have been hoping that it would work well to adapt more of the manga than they did, and after waiting for more of the manga and seeing what it was doing, they decided that that wouldn't work, and then decided to create all the filler that they did.

Overall, my guess at the reason why filler is almost always worse than non-filler is two-fold:

1. You're adding material to a pre-existing story. Particularly if the story is well laid out, adding extra material is going to tend to bloat it a bit and not fit well. Often, the writers are forced to go on total tangents, adding entirely unrelated arcs just to fill in the space, because adding material in the middle of story arcs doesn't tend to work well (on top of them possibly hoping that they wouldn't have to add in filler and therefore not adding it until they have to).

2. The writers who adapt manga may be good at adapting manga, but that doesn't mean that they're any good at creating original material. When you're creating filler, you essentially have to create original material - original material which is on par with a pre-existing story by someone else no less. I don't expect the skill set needed to adapt stories to be quite the same skill set needed to create them. And adding material to someone else's story is never easy.

Still, it would be nice if filler wasn't generally of lower quality than the original. The only exception that I could list would be Case Closed, but that series lends itself really well to filler in terms of its very episodic format, and even then, the best stories end up being from the manga. It also helps that the filler is scattered throughout in that case rather than being put between long arcs of adapted material.

In any case, I'm glad that we at least got a second season of Sekirei, and hopefully future seasons manage to focus primarily on adapting material rather than adding filler. But I expect that the third season will be pretty much entirely adapted material, since they'll have plenty of it. The question then becomes how much they're going to alter it, since I'm not sure that there's going to be a good, climactic stopping point around episodes 12 or 13.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3