• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sekirei DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gishra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kalessin"][quote="Blood-"]
Kalessin wrote:
Still, it would be nice if filler wasn't generally of lower quality than the original. The only exception that I could list would be Case Closed, but that series lends itself really well to filler in terms of its very episodic format, and even then, the best stories end up being from the manga.

One series where I felt the filler was actually stronger than the original stuff was the first Saiyuki anime. The whole Homura story arc is probably my favorite one in the three television series. Usually though filler is fairly boring/aggravating.

Anyways, Sekirei is a fun series, especially if you're a fan of fanservice. Plenty of nudity in this one folks, but it actually has a decent story and characters too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
The lead was your typical loser type with no personality at all. When the girl (I call her Tits McGee) was going on and on about how special the loser boy was, I couldn't contain my laughter. The lead is so obviously an audience stand in. I realize I'm not the target audience here by a long shot, but still, couldn't they have made it less obvious?

See, this is what goes on when you judge something without actually seeing it. Minato is by far one of the great harem leads, because, guess what, he IS special. Turn out, he's not a loser at all. Only reason he failed getting into college was he's shyness. He's not good in stress, but he's actually over MIT level in intelligence. Not one that, he's extremely kind, and very brave. He would, and actually did, jump through (actually, it was into) fire for one of his Sekirei. If he's an audience stand it, I'd love to see the audience. Hell, I'd love to be IN that audience.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
The lead was your typical loser type with no personality at all. When the girl (I call her Tits McGee) was going on and on about how special the loser boy was, I couldn't contain my laughter. The lead is so obviously an audience stand in. I realize I'm not the target audience here by a long shot, but still, couldn't they have made it less obvious?

See, this is what goes on when you judge something without actually seeing it. Minato is by far one of the great harem leads, because, guess what, he IS special. Turn out, he's not a loser at all. Only reason he failed getting into college was he's shyness. He's not good in stress, but he's actually over MIT level in intelligence. Not one that, he's extremely kind, and very brave. He would, and actually did, jump through (actually, it was into) fire for one of his Sekirei. If he's an audience stand it, I'd love to see the audience. Hell, I'd love to be IN that audience.

That vom-inducing conversation happens at the end of the first episode. It's only a few hours or so (in the timeline) after the Sekirei falls on him. At that time, neither she nor the audience knows him. There is nothing to show that Minato is anything more than empty placeholder. You'd have a point if it had happened later in the show, but since it happens in the very beginning, I had a lot of trouble taking it seriously.

Also, as a character trait, intelligence really means nothing. I'm sure lots of basement dwelling otaku are intellegent too. Being intellegent doesn't make this character appear to be any less of a loser. I don't like those sorts of characters, which is one of the reasons I didn't like the show. And, before it gets suggested again: no, I'm not going to watch more. This isn't a show for me. There are lots of other shows to watch and I have other hobbies to devote time to. Since hobbies are supposed to be fun, I don't see the point of torturing myself with a show I'm not excited to watch.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Minato is kind of a weird case. He comes off as being very wimpy due to his complete lack of confidence and physical prowess. And yet he continually does things and makes choices which are very much not wimpy - particularly if it means putting his life on the line for someone else (in at least one case, even when they're trying to kill him). So, he's not exactly wimpy, but he very much comes across as being wimpy. In a way, he's wimpy because he thinks that he's wimpy rather than because he really is wimpy. It's primarily an attitude problem (though compared to pretty much any Sekirei, he'd obviously lose in a fight, so physically, he is wimpy).

He's definitely an improvement over many of the wimpy male characters of harem shows out there, but at the same time, if you don't like wimpy male leads, he's definitely going to irritate you.

Minato is not your average, wimpy male harem lead, but he's not enough of an improvement to really fix the problem.

Personally, I'd prefer it if harem shows like this generally had stronger male leads rather than going for wimpy viewer stand-ins (Princess Lover is one of the few that I can think of that actually had a non-wimpy male lead), but at least Sekirei did a better job with such a character than most such shows.

PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
And, before it gets suggested again: no, I'm not going to watch more. This isn't a show for me. There are lots of other shows to watch and I have other hobbies to devote time to. Since hobbies are supposed to be fun, I don't see the point of torturing myself with a show I'm not excited to watch.

The show definitely improves over what's in the first episode (the first episode has most of the negative aspects of the show up front - particularly the more stereotypical ones - and then a number of them go away or are diminished). However, if you really didn't like the first episode, I wouldn't expect you to like the rest. If you thought that the first episode was okay, but it had aspects that you didn't like, or it didn't quite grab you, then it may be worth watching more. But as much as the show improves, if you really dislike the first episode - as opposed to just not particularly liking it - then I wouldn't expect it to be worth your time to watch more. It's not like it completely changes what kind of show it is after the first couple of episodes. It improves considerably (in fact, the first episode is almost certainly the worst episode), but it still is what it is.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
I was just about to start downloading the series and I just find out they have an English dub and a DVD release. Awesome!
hajballzz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Very Happy serkirei on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the best
I say 7.5
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
So is Richard J going to be appearing more often, then? Either way, congrats to him for putting up another review.

I've only seen the first couple of episodes on Funi's YT channel, not nearly enough to form any meaningful opinion. But from what I've seen, the animation and dub were excellent, while the show's brand of humour left me cold.

Have to say I find the Pokemon analogy intriguing though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3