• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Man With The Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SerryHeart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
My pile of shame...Record of Lodoss War (all of it) was in my collection for over three years and in all that time I saw 15 minutes of the first episode. I finally ended up trading it for Gundam00. Gundam Wing is still better Laughing

My favorite anime of the year? I know its not really this year but when Funimation started putting more things on Netflix I fell in love with "Darker than Black". I hear the second season is coming next year. I'm so excited! Now if only Funimation would take on the third season of Kyou Kara Maou! I don't need it dubbed. Just a sub release would please me.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sad to say, hoping they fail and their inventory ends up on the bargain bin so the rest of us can afford it. Otherwise we will probably never get another legal chance to own it.

Most Japanese DVDs go out of print fairly quickly and they don't print much more than what the market needs. Chances of finding this particular boxset in the bargin bin? Next to nil. Well, you might get lucky on a Japanese auction site.

Considering the success of Kara no Kyoukai, both in the theatres and DVD sales, Aniplex likely wanted more money for the license than what FUNi was willing to offer at the time. And if this thread is any indication, KnK isn't close to being a popular title. Virtually unknown compared to the Rebuild of Eva movies. Whoever has their eyes on KnK are likely waiting for the licensing costs to go down

That's my best guess on the situation. I highly doubt Aniplex is doing this as an R1-sabotage -- Japanese marketing departments aren't that inept -- but on the same hand they could have done this far better. Has there been a single major review of the title from a legit source? No, and that's something that could drum up hype for those that haven't seen the movies yet.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, there's often a big disconnect between what the fans want versus what actually sells. Garden of Sinners (I haven't seen more than 15 minutes of the first movie, so I'm going on knowledge of the series I've gathered through fandom osmosis) is an oppressively dark, dense story filled with characters who commit suicide and murder and rape each other with a looming sense of dread and despair hanging heavily over every scene. Fullmetal Alchemist this ain't. Aniplex knows this. They are marketing this show directly to the small group of ardent fans who they know would buy it at any price; the fans who seemingly wouldn't really mind spending the 620 dollars to import the Japanese Blu Ray. (I mean, it has English subs!)

Since when did dark, mature anime not sell well in the US? If anything, I'd think that sort of thing does better on this side of the pond. I haven't seen the numbers, but FUNi seems to be doing all right with Mnemosyne, Black Lagoon, and Shigurui. Not to mention, y'know, that one anime with the genocide and human experiments and stuff. What was it called again? Oh yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist.

There's no way FUNimation hasn't already bid on this, and I'd expect other companies like Sentai and Media Blasters probably have as well. The fact that Aniplex decided to go ahead and release this on their own - I'm not really sure what that means. Did no one offer them enough money? Do they just want to wait a while to prevent reverse importation? Or are they actually pulling a Bandai Visual, and think they can make more money this way then they would licensing it to a local distributor? I guess only time will tell.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and we can all sit back and relax and enjoy a nice cup of hot cocoa while debating precisely which part of the Tron: Legacy script is the worst.

Easy... the part where it tells the actors what to do and say. Referred to in better works as a "story."
PmCheves wrote:
5. Mushi-Shi: I've heard so much about it, and seen some stills of it, that went out and bought it and promptly sat it in the corner to be watched when I have "time."

You've seen stills? You've seen the show.

Guess it's time to start working on Mount St. Backlog...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
My backlog is ghastly, but seeing as I'm constantly watching new series regardless, I don't feel too bad about it. Anime dazed Not...too bad. Just kinda bad. I can't begin to list it, though, just going by things I OWN and haven't actually watched.

World's Most Awesome Answerfan wrote:
I have yet to finish Princess Tutu, despite all the talk I hear about ninjas dueling with guitars in the second season (well, figurative ninjas at least) I have yet to power my way through the first season.

^ Looks like someone's been visiting our website! Laughing Awesome, dude, thanks for supporting the D2Brigade. Always nice to run across references like that. And yes, the Princess Tutu finale is pretty freaking fantastic, even if those guitar ninjas are metaphorical.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
Last I checked, I think my DVD backlog was at 250 DVDs. It's probably grown a bit since then, although I don't think it's hit 300 yet. Luckily, I've been forced to stop buying for awhile, so perhaps I can start making some headway into that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
My backlog even includes VHS fansubs.......... They'd probably disintegrate before I get to them.......... Crying or Very sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
They want how much? For a sub only? Yeah, only if I hit the lottery for a few Mill, otherwise good luck with that. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Love all this drama KnK has started. It's probably going to help sales.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Garden of Sinners (I haven't seen more than 15 minutes of the first movie, so I'm going on knowledge of the series I've gathered through fandom osmosis) is an oppressively dark, dense story filled with characters who commit suicide and murder and rape each other with a looming sense of dread and despair hanging heavily over every scene. Fullmetal Alchemist this ain't.

Do you remember Fullmetal Alchemist?

The one where Ed's goes all chibi-balistic whenever someone mentions his height? Mustang makes jokes about miniskirts? Armstrong rips his shirt off repeatedly and sparles? Where Winry conks Ed with a wrench?

Yeah, FMA can be very dark, dramatic, and serious...but it still has a crapload of comedy in it. KnK looks to be about absolutely pitch-black in terms of mood.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned why the movies are so expensive. I mean some people hinted at it a little bit.

Here's the reason. Aniplex is using a business strategy to sell at a high price because:

A) they know a lot of people do not even know of these movies. Heck a few of you even in this thread are not aware of it, not that there is anything wrong with that.

B) they KNOW hardcore people WILL buy this. If you definitely know there are dedicated fans who will purchase this, although a small number, a highly rational decision is to have a very high ass price. Japan does this all the time for their dvd/bluray releases (I think o_O) because they know the otaku will buy it up due to their low cost of living and disposable income.

Oh and just to address pirating, people are going to pirate and rip this even if it was for $30 bucks. You could argue that's another reason for the high purchase price, they make their money on each sale.

Now bottom line, don't get me wrong this is still expensive as hell, but you can kind of see why they're doing it. Does anyone honestly think they'd make more money than they are going to with a lower price? I've already seen a handful of people put down money/preorder this.

Now about a shamelist

What I find the most interesting about shamelists are that people I know have them but they end up watching some other mediocure show instead. Granted people are entitled to their own opinions and pleasures/have different tastes, but it's frusterating when someone you know is suffering through K-ON!! but won't touch Honey and Clover.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Considering how bad most sci-fi TV shows in the 70s and early 80s were, it's really surprising that at least a couple of these weren't picked up, especially Dr. Strange since he is a Marvel character (albeit a minor one IMHO).

Hey, if "The Powers of Matthew Starr" made it to series, why not?

Thanks for the clip! I especially got a kick out of BJ in space (shoulda had Bear with him, though!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3