• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
You all hate Mouse, Kiss X Sis, Saber Marionette, Fubuki, the Final Fantasy anime, Eiken, but you like the Love Hina anime?

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like Love Hina. I LOVE the manga, I hate the anime.

I'll agree to that, the manga is one of my favorites, but the anime butchered it. Seems they just can't adapt Ken Akamatsu's stuff right. I liked the second Negima anime, but that was pretty much it's own thing.

Exactly. Same thing with Negima as well. I like the manga, but the anime didn't get good until the last 4-5 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
I enjoyed those "Worst 10 Anime" lists a lot, though thankfully I've steered clear of most of them. I agree with the Saber Marionette series, though I think that's more just about me really disliking stuff that Satoru Akahori works on (though, Video Girl Ai is a personal favorite series and he worked on that, but hey, even Koichi Mashimo has Tylor to his name...). I think two of the worst things I've seen in recent years were Le Portrait de Petit Cosette and Ladies vs. Butlers. What was I thinking making myself sit through the whole thing, as though I was expecting something to suddenly happen that made the experience all worthwhile?

For the record, I'd cite VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire as being the worst anime I've seen. It was so bad, I actually got a refund on the fansub tape I blind-bought.

As far as the movie lists...it's pretty common for me to be at odds with movie critics, because the movies that are usually considered "Oscar bait" never really do much for me. With so many films, I could see them once, think "Ah, that was cool." and never feel a need to see the film ever again. I've only seen a couple of the movies on Zac's list (though I totally agree with the shout-out to Ratatouille as Pixar's best - and I think Brad Bird is damn excellent), but I don't know that I've seen a single movie on Justin's list, and hadn't even heard of the majority of them.

I guess, when it comes to movies in particular, that's one medium where I'm a pretty low-brow consumer. I mainly just see stuff that already fits in with what I know I like, and don't really consume much in the way of auteur or indie works, or seek out classics to see. Even if I took my favorite films, they're favorites because they're entertaining - most films don't really speak to me personally in the way some of my favorite anime have, and my favorite anime list would probably outrank a lot of my favorite film list if the two were shuffled together. But then, I don't really have the critical "tools" to appreciate film in the way people who took film classes do, so I end up using the tools I've got available to me, from study of literature (which unfortunately leaves out a lot of the 'cinematic language').

Still, an interesting show all around; I like to hear these kinds of opinions and discussions. I'm in the process of writing a "Top 10 Favorite Anime for 2000-2010" list and was wondering whether there'd been a podcast like that. If not, I'd certainly be up for hearing one. This decade has delivered some interesting stuff, and I think it's worth the contemplation.

Thanks again for a year of podcasting that has kept me very entertained at work, and happy holidays.

I'm with you on this. I like movies, but some of the Oscar ones don't always interest me. Personally, I tend to go for (nobody berate me for this, dammit! Twisted Evil ) movie adaptations of novels that I like. For instance, one of my favorite novel based movies is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. But the two movies that I really like that aren't based on novels, nor were they Oscar nominated, are Rat Race and School of Rock. However, I will say some movie adaptations of novels could be better, especially when it comes to the classics. Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was good, I enjoyed it, but it didn't follow the book much. And from what I've seen of the Gulliver's Travelspreviews, they're not following the original either. I just hope they don't make a Dracula adaptation yet, it might get a Twilight treatment and completely butcher they original. Shocked Evil or Very Mad Anime dazed
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
However, I will say some movie adaptations of novels could be better, especially when it comes to the classics. Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was good, I enjoyed it, but it didn't follow the book much.

That's because it's a SEQUEL, not an adaptation. They kind of made that very clear in the movie. Don't get me wrong, Burton's film definitely could have been better (it was okay, but man, I so wanted to see the "McGee Alice" so much more), but "Adaptation Decay" cannot be an issue here.

Anyway, I admit I haven't seen much terrible anime. Gundam Seed Destiny speaks for itself. I honestly thought Origin was okay. I stopped watching Gad Guard at episode 7, but I was merely bored and found it cliched and not in a good way, but not quite terrible. FF Unlimited I never made it past episode 2, but that was because I was busy at the time, I couldn't tell if it was going to be good or bad yet (some things interested me, others didn't).
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Honestly if Zac thinks that Saber Marionette J is one of the worst of that type of show than he must not have seen DearS, or Girl Bravo.

Except that Girls Bravo can actually make for some silly fun. Saber Marionette was just damn painful. And I watched it way back when anime was still new to me, so there wasn't much of anything for me to compare it to and I still hated it.

Justin's number 3... what a cluster-f**k of a title! Laughing
gordok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This will never convince Zac and company about the show's merit's, but the reason I appreciate the Saber Marionette J is because--while it looks, acts and behaves a lot like a Harem show--it's actually (IMHO) a spoiler["Training the courtisans/prostitutes show." i.e., it's the Japanese version of a Pygmalion story, except that the graduated trainee(s) is then exchanged for someone else important (e.g. given to a warlord in exchange for a captured local Lord or Lady). ]

Bad as that sounds from our perspective, I believe the plot is inspired by some kabuki plays with a similar plot. [But darn it, Wikipedia and other searches have failed me for an example!Sad ]

Now, I do have some gripes about the show in terms of its science premise: Depending on the technology available, it should be possible to generate females from males (since males have both X and Y chromisomes available).

Last edited by gordok on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I just hope they don't make a Dracula adaptation yet, it might get a Twilight treatment and completely butcher they original. Shocked Evil or Very Mad Anime dazed

Who's they? Don't forget that Francis Ford Coppola took a stab at it ("stab," get it?) back in the 90's with the help of Keanu "I'm British, honest!" Reeves. I rather liked that one, personally.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's because it's a SEQUEL, not an adaptation. They kind of made that very clear in the movie. Don't get me wrong, Burton's film definitely could have been better (it was okay, but man, I so wanted to see the "McGee Alice" so much more), but "Adaptation Decay" cannot be an issue here.

I should have been more specific. Tim Burton's film was basically a high-grade fanfiction. In the original novel, there was no "13 years later". It ended with Through the Looking Glass where Alice wakes up, realizing she dreamed the whole thing and was shaking her kitten (not on purpose). Burton came up with the idea. No, it isn't "Adaptation Decay" nor did I ever say it was. But it still didn't follow the original which had no sequel that took place 13 years later. That's what I was getting at. What I should have said was, if someone is going to make a movie of a classic work of literature, rather than write some fanfiction sequel, (or in Gulliver's case) a modernization, keep to the original material. It will actually turn out much better. Those work are classics for a reason, they've stuck around. There's no need to make any changes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Burton's film was okay, but it would have been better if it wasn't a fanfiction sequel. Okay, send the torches and pitchforks on me people. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Who's they? Don't forget that Francis Ford Coppola took a stab at it ("stab," get it?) back in the 90's with the help of Keanu "I'm British, honest!" Reeves. I rather liked that one, personally.

I am very well aware of Francis Ford Coppola's version. I respect that you like that one, but for me, he did not do justice to Dracula. And when I said "they", I meant whoever might want to adapt Dracula. I am a Dracula purist in case anyone else takes issue with what I said.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Zac on Tim Burton, he hit his peak with Ed Wood, but even before that, some of his movies don't hold up that well. with emphasis on his 2 batman movies.

Nice to hear Metropolis on Justin's list, which, i think, is the only movie on his list that I've seen (besides ghost world). I still say i like M better than Metropolis, then again i didn't see the complete version out now.

Zac picked a great number 1 movie, I liked Rushmore a lot, I liked The Royal Tenenbaums more i think, but thats just a personal thing, i grew up with a sort-of crazy family so i can relate more to the later. Also i wish Alec Baldwin could narrate my life.

I like that you guys talk about movies in here too, My love for anime started when i was a kid, but i think now it spreads more from my love and appreciation of film, and its nice to see that its the same for others as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I'm with Zac on Tim Burton, he hit his peak with Ed Wood, but even before that, some of his movies don't hold up that well. with emphasis on his 2 batman movies.

I disagree. His Batman movies hold up extremely well for me. I still like the original more than TDK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:

I disagree. His Batman movies hold up extremely well for me. I still like the original more than TDK.

for a lot of people thats sort of a nostalgia thing, I grew up with Batman: TAS and the larger DCAU, which led to my own interest in comics. I guess i'm used to the more realistic approach to Batman, but Burton's films always seem corny and silly to me. the first one is a good movie, i'll give you that. the 2nd one is laughably terrible though, regardless of what anyone says about the Penguin.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:

for a lot of people thats sort of a nostalgia thing, I grew up with Batman: TAS and the larger DCAU, which led to my own interest in comics. I guess i'm used to the more realistic approach to Batman, but Burton's films always seem corny and silly to me. the first one is a good movie, i'll give you that. the 2nd one is laughably terrible though, regardless of what anyone says about the Penguin.

What? Look, just because it doesn't skew as realistic as Nolan's Batman films does not make it "corny and silly". Burton's Batman movies are, to me, a lot more like reading Batman comics. Nolan's are like applying as much realism to Batman as possible, which makes for some gripping drama, but otherwise strips some of the mystique away. They get bogged down in their own self-importance.

Burton's films concentrated on the bizarre and freakish nature of Batman's world, as Burton is wont to do. This is why they work so well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
^ Personally, I recognize that the Nolan Batman films are superior as "drama", but, for the sheer silly spectacle of it all, I honestly prefer the Tim Burton Batman films especially the dark Gothic Christmas of Batman Returns.

My top 10 films (alphabetical order):

Airplane!
Back to the Future
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
Wayne's World

Personally, I like dramedies a lot, but I can't get into serious dramas done straight unless the story really clicks with me. I am, of course, a big fan of all of Wes Anderson's films except for The Life Aquatic (lots of quirky ideas that just didn't gel as a whole, though I still own the Criterion DVD of it for "completeness").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What? Look, just because it doesn't skew as realistic as Nolan's Batman films does not make it "corny and silly". Burton's Batman movies are, to me, a lot more like reading Batman comics. Nolan's are like applying as much realism to Batman as possible, which makes for some gripping drama, but otherwise strips some of the mystique away. They get bogged down in their own self-importance.

Burton's films concentrated on the bizarre and freakish nature of Batman's world, as Burton is wont to do. This is why they work so well.

maybe corny and silly is a poor choice of words, but there is a non-serious attitude in both of Burton's Batman movies, maybe its just Burton's "weirdness" that does it for me. I think I could chock this up to a different strokes for different folks bit. Although i will recommend watching those movies now, take a fresh look.

also as a side note, the fact that the Joker is named, and that Harvey Dent is Billy Dee Williams (while awesome) do not help curb the movie in my favor. But thats just nit-picking.

To this day my favorite interpretation of the character is from the Batman: TAS. one that none of the films have come close to capturing.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Homosexuality is the last forbidden love....The last frontier in love no one respects

But you guys forget the pure love that can only exist between a man and 2D! There is also the furries and I am sure love between men and machines is right around the corner.

Was pleased that Kimera was mentioned, like a lot of 80s and 90s OVAs its pretty crappy when watching it subbed but the dub takes it to that "so bad its good" level. To this day friends and I still quote it from time to time "But its a dude! Yes, but look at her face!"

kiddtic wrote:

Okay here we go Redline *sigh* I've said this before on the forums but Ill say it again. This movie was and is still being Incredibly Hyped. I will admit this movie has style but thats all it has going for it. I understand people love style but I don't go to the movies pay an extra amount for special service and posters (which I did and REGRET) to watch a motion picture book. I was so bored in the theater all i did was close my eyes and wait for the final race the music was good it fit the style so i can't say i was completely bored, think Tron: The Legacy (except Tron actually has a story to give a crap about)

I feel where you are coming from, a lot of animation for animation's sake projects bored me to death. I am still optimistic for it though and just lowering my expectations.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Burton's '89 Batman film is a good film, but it is "Burton's Batman", not the Batman I grew up reading and loving in TAS. Not saying Nolan didn't put his personal touches into the story, but he kept it under control (Joker wasn't the Wayne's killer, Batman never directly killed anyone and is actually in the shape where he can take on such a physically-demanding task, etc.) That, and while Jack Nicholson made a good antagonist, he was much too himself and not enough Joker. Didn't help that he needed to have been cast 10 years earlier to even be the right age for the part. And don't even get me started on the rumor (or is it fact?) that Burton (when he was attached to make a Superman movie) considered casting him as Lex Luthor......

Batman Returns was just weak. Not horrible by any means, but it definitely put style over substance, and was one of the earlier cases of "too many villains" (not always a bad thing, but it's how the script handles multiple antagonists). Elfman's score rocked as usual, and I actually did enjoy the different take on the Penquin somewhat (except for the rockets. WTH, Burton?), but that's all I got out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7