• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legoland12342

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
I'd forgotten about Eiken until Zac mentioned it, probably throw that in with the waste of time Pumpkin Scissors turned out to be, and Kanon (2006). Eiken because of how incredibly stupid it was, Kanon because I found myself in the wrong market, and getting very bored near the end, and Pumpkin Scissors for a few more reasons.

That being said, I wasn't able to finish Love Hina, nor the Ah My Goddess movie/OAV.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Feels a bit like Justin`s interpretation of best is that everyone should watch those at least once in their lifetime while Zac openly places the re-watch value on a pedestal. Maybe Justin sees motion pictures like food: he`d rather keep searching for new experiences while just occasionaly revisiting his favorites. Zac view of the 90`s is probably something like the beginning of A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Part I and II were very fun,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait......a Tenchi Muyo episode bad? This can't be right!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
No it isn't, and as a gay man I really do not feel comfortable with the idea of my orientation being compared to incest in any way, shape or form

I just have to point this out, but this is almost exactly what my homophobic friends say. Every time I try to tell them there is nothing wrong with 2 consenting adults loving each other, I always hear something like "I don't feel comfortable having the love me and my spouse share being compared to homosexuality in any way, shape, or form." It's all about squick factor, if you personally find something disgusting, chances are quite good you will be hard pressed to accept it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
No it isn't, and as a gay man I really do not feel comfortable with the idea of my orientation being compared to incest in any way, shape or form

I just have to point this out, but this is almost exactly what my homophobic friends say. Every time I try to tell them there is nothing wrong with 2 consenting adults loving each other, I always hear something like "I don't feel comfortable having the love me and my spouse share being compared to homosexuality in any way, shape, or form." It's all about squick factor, if you personally find something disgusting, chances are quite good you will be hard pressed to accept it.

And there are a few conservative groups who argue that same-sex marriage will be a gateway to legalizing beastiality and pedophelia
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

And there are a few conservative groups who argue that same-sex marriage will be a gateway to legalizing beastiality and pedophelia

They never seem to take into account that 2 consenting adults (gender and familial status not an issue) is far different from one adult and an animal/a child who can not consent. Or, more likely, they DO take that into account, an dignore it to try to add weight to their paper-thin arguments.
Basroil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Hahaha, I love how Hyper Doll got a mention. I don't care what people say, I loved that OAV, it was nice and mindless fun.

And in interest of full disclosure, I do in fact own the DVD...

Same here. I love that show.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:
Same here. I love that show.

Oh yeah, high five! This must also mean I am not the only one in this country that is still a bit sad that they for some reason couldn't make the final episode. Hyper Doll and Elf Princess Rane both pulled that stunt, never releasing what would have been the final episode. Was this common with OVA's in that era or something?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mr. Sevakis, in high school or college, did anyone ever give you a nickname, like "Saddest Boy in the World" or something to that effect? I don't think anyone could ever doubt that you put thought into your top 10, because there's something of a theme going on there.

I would ask "Why not Terry Gilliam's other work?" but I feel that's about as smart a question as asking "What are you doing" to a murderer holding a bloody knife.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Awful Anime:
DearS
Eiken(watching a clip was enough)

Best Movies:
5th Element
Watchmen(Directors cut)(I hadn't read the graphic novel)
Life of Brian

I'd like to propose a list topic: movies I couldn't finish. Very Happy
Where the Wild things are
Fantastic Mr Fox
Moulin Rouge

Too clever or smug for my tastes. I also hate feeling like I know a 'valuable lesson' will be waiting for me at the end.

I made it thru Juno but wish I hadn't.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Player No. 3 wrote:

Yes, but whereas Brokeback Mountain handled the relationship with gravity and care, KissXSis handles it with pandering and crass.

How about Koi Kaze?

I've yet to see it, but I heard it does take the subject matter seriously due to its good writing. It's on my (long) "to see" list.

In my opinion, compared to the manga, it failed. The anime doesn't get across the male lead's inner struggles; it just makes him look grouchy and unlovable and then he somehow cracks. The manga has all been scanlated; read that instead (and buy the original books if/when you can).
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TWO listens on the long drive from DFW to Midland.

Going by the criteria, my top movie would be Spinal Tap. Not the greatest movie, but growing up as a metal head in the 80's, this film has filled my vocabulary with phrases that work their way into banter with my friends daily. Smell the Glove!. This goes to Eleven. You can't really dust for vomit.... etc. I can watch the movie at any time.

After watching Eiken, I bought it. I was thoroughly weirded out by it, but I have anime fans who ask me, what is the craziest thing out there. Now I have something to show them.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Never even heard about The Return before, so thanks Justin for pointing it out! I'm not a big fan of modern Russian movies, but this one was really good.
arromdee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
With the same caveats as in the show, my worst anime (or at least among the worst anime, since they're hard to rank) are:

1) Gunslinger Girl
2) Yumeria
3) Cosprayers

Gunslinger Girl utterly creeped me out by presenting as a fantasy a situation where older guys have complete control over preteen girls in a way full of pedophilic subtext. I could not watch more than three episodes.

People told me I was imagining it and it was really about the horrors of child soldiers, etc. and that it was not showing such things as good. It turned out that the author had written dojinshi that were even more depraved....
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
If you are the original author, is it called doujinshi? Is it because this other story is not canon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7