Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cyborg 009's 1st New Manga in 18 Years Posted Online




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
trunkschan90



Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 580
Location: California
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I wish I knew enough Japanese to know what the heck is going on in the chapter. This makes me miss the series even more. I still need to find vol 9 of Tokyopop's Cyborg 009 to make my manga collection complete, but the prices for that volume are so high!

Why hasn't Sony uploaded the anime yet on their Crackle site, what's the hold up!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hoofbites



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 49
Location: under your porch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Why hasn't Sony uploaded the anime yet on their Crackle site, what's the hold up!!


Probably the same reason why they only put out one uncut DVD volume of the '01 anime (which is still going for a song on Amazon): shows based on decades-old manga generally don't sell. I believe Sony didn't think it was worth releasing the whole series on DVD because of that. (Their license has probably expired by now anyway.) Had Funimation or Bandai released it instead, the story might have been different. Moreover, I seem to remember that the show got a pretty cold reception over here specifically because of its old-school look.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
E-Master



Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 471
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hoofbites wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
Why hasn't Sony uploaded the anime yet on their Crackle site, what's the hold up!!


Probably the same reason why they only put out one uncut DVD volume of the '01 anime (which is still going for a song on Amazon): shows based on decades-old manga generally don't sell. I believe Sony didn't think it was worth releasing the whole series on DVD because of that. (Their license has probably expired by now anyway.) Had Funimation or Bandai released it instead, the story might have been different. Moreover, I seem to remember that the show got a pretty cold reception over here specifically because of its old-school look.


The story would of been different if 2001 Cyborg 009 was handled by a different distrubutor. Atleast Ishimori's Skull Man & 009-1 got excellent DVD releases except those two are a lot shorter than the 51-ish episode Cyborg 009. As of right now I'm still having hope there will be a day when the 2001 Cyborg 009 series gets a better full DVD release. Not sure when, but I'll still keep wishing for it to come.

Anyways back the subject. I too wish I knew Japanese to atleast know what the deal is with the cell phone scenes, but I do like how it retains the original look of the manga along with a 007 briefly turning into Kamen Rider(nice cameo). Anything related to Ishimori's works is worth reading or watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Relairknight



Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 128
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
I remember trying to watch Cyborg 009 forever ago and couldn't really get into it. Now 009-1, that was great! Short like you said, but a really fun and entertaining little series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
E-Master



Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 471
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
I remember trying to watch Cyborg 009 forever ago and couldn't really get into it. Now 009-1, that was great! Short like you said, but a really fun and entertaining little series.


I'm glad you do like that series. For me I like everything I've seen from Shotaro Ishimori. There's a lot of his works I haven't seen yet. As of now I'm watching some of his live action works that were either had a manga counterpart or no manga counterpart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group