• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
It's so weird! I know comparing this to NANA would be like One Piece to Berserk, but...
it's extremely weird to know that melodrama, seemingly one of Carl's most disliked storytelling methods, would not only be the majority, but be the strong point in this show. To the very end.

In the end, this show enters my "Skepticism Bin". Along with Strike Witches, Sekirei, K-ON, etc.

You've made clear that it supersedes stories like Twilight. But, not by disposing of it's similar natures? Hmmm...
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to connect the grading of the show to the content of the review and coming across a huge disconnect. He rips it to pieces in text, but it rates a B?

Something just doesn't jive there....
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Vampire Knight tells a story, firstly, and it has romance tacked on. Twilight and your average shojo have romance with a story tacked on. I believe that's the major difference.

The mangaka, Hino, is an amazing storyteller. Sometimes she gets caught up in her own intricacies, however. Hino gave us a very important plot point regarding a character in Chapter 38 (released in 2008), which made many fans' heads explode. She finally saw fit to elaborate on it... two years later. This Anime sadly doesn't explain said plot point... at all, so it's definitely recommended for viewers to read the manga at some point.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Vampire Knight tells a story, firstly, and it has romance tacked on. Twilight and your average shojo have romance with a story tacked on. I believe that's the major difference.

The mangaka, Hino, is an amazing storyteller. Sometimes she gets caught up in her own intricacies, however. Hino gave us a very important plot point regarding a character in Chapter 38 (released in 2008), which made many fans' heads explode. She finally saw fit to elaborate on it... two years later. This Anime sadly doesn't explain said plot point... at all, so it's definitely recommended for viewers to read the manga at some point.

My thoughts exactly, Jaymie! Vampire Knight is a superior story compared to Twilight. But it's easy to see how those with only a casual interest can dismiss it as just another Twilight. There are some similarities but the story and characters are light years better. As for Zero becoming more likable, he's always been easy to love for me and the reason I got hooked. Everyone else dismisses him as "emo" but it's never been a problem for me. I guess it's because I'm a gen-Xer, which from what I understand was something of an "emo" generation.

spoiler[Besides, in the current story arc, Kaname's being the "emo" one, now.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
I'm trying to connect the grading of the show to the content of the review and coming across a huge disconnect. He rips it to pieces in text, but it rates a B?

Something just doesn't jive there....

I thought he gave it a fairly positive review, and wasn't surprised by the B score. I guess we perceived different things from the review...

I actually think the narrative flows better in the anime than it did in the manga, which is kind of the opposite of how I usually see these kinds of adaptations. I read the manga up through the second season. After that, there is a character development that I found too ridiculous to stomach: spoiler[Zero is chosen to be the next president of the Hunter's Guild.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I see you read Vol 11 . You shouldn't be susprised at all by that. I saw that coming after vol 10. Though I was pissed off that spoiler[ they erased the day class memories anyway despite their request to keep their memories. At least Yuki's best friend has hers, for now. ]

As for vol 3. I liked it . though it's ending of course is definitely yaoi fangirl material, and if season 2 is similar to the manga, it'll make fans of angel sancutary gleam, in a good way. (I'm also a fan too)

As for the dub. Sure it's not one of Viz's perfect adapations like in Nana or in Monster , but it's still a solid dub, even though I admit the characters have been badly miscasted.

Though what saved the dub for me was Wendel Lee's take as Shizuka Hio. That was the only casting that wasright for the role. If it was not for that, I probably would have given the grade lower than in the review

However as said on my other posts for DVDs 1 & 2 Bang Zoom Ent (who is doing the dubbing) could have done better with the casting, and if possible with the cast I kind of though would have been better sutied for the roles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think spoiler[only a few students asked to keep their memories; I know in the manga they did, but it's not mentioned very often.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Actually, I think spoiler[only a few students asked to keep their memories; I know in the manga they did, but it's not mentioned very often.]

well that happend but they still got their memories erased either way. especially those that had feelings for some of the night class and vice versa. that really pissed me off in the manga.

Too bad the anime ended the same time Vol 9 ended. I guess this series cause of it's so called questionable content well end short of ending along with the manga just like with Angel Sancutary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1