• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Little Busters! TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Zilan wrote:
Some people like to watch anime legally.

This made me chuckle, in a good way.

I did try watching Lil B's but I just couldn't get into it too much. Maybe I'll try it later when CR gets all the episodes.

While I found most routes couldn't compare to Clannad and past routes, a few routes are pretty good. I enjoyed Mio, Haruka, Yuiko and some extent Kud. The very best though is very well near the end and it is great. I just hope J.C Staff can pull it off. Kyo-ani even lacked in that area to pull off the ending properly.
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Never really heard of Crunchy picking up a series halfway through its airing before.

I don't know if anyone actually answered this. I didn't notice it. Most of the ones they have done this for are ones where the 2nd season aired later on, but this is not the first time.

They licensed Dog Days 2nd season without doing the first, but the 2nd season aired about a year after the first. Hayate no Gotoku was a similar situation. They also licensed AKB0048's 2nd season which started about 6 months after the 1st.

There have also been a number of series that they licensed 2 or 3 episodes in, which started airing on crunchyroll late, though none come to mind.

With the content of Little Busters, my guess is Little Busters is going to be have to be longer than 26 episodes, but this is still quite late in the series.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
There have also been a number of series that they licensed 2 or 3 episodes in, which started airing on crunchyroll late, though none come to mind.

Say "I love you" from last season comes to mind. That got announced late. They started the simulcast on the fourth episode without all of the previous episodes available, but they caught up rather quickly on those first three episodes as far as I recall.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
@Akukame The producers have already indicated that a sequel of some sort will happen for LB

RyanSaotome wrote:
Crunchy is basically like a mafia gang that went legit after spending some time in prison. What they're doing is legal now, yeah, but they're still kinda shady.

Could at least use the more appropriate compression of....wait that wouldn't really work. honestly that was so long ago and they popularized simulcasting so much, and thus fundamentally changed the anime industry that it doesn't matter anymore.

I would also like to note that I personally know a lot of fan subbers who now get paid for their subbing skill and a lot of them do work on projects for crunchyroll now. and guess what fan subbers make up a LOT of people in companies like funimation, sentai, and you get the picture. also I would like to point out that a majority of the people who made up the companies that started the R1 industry were FAN SUBBERS FIRST

everyone oddly seems to forget this little fact... not saying that I support the efforts of most modern day fan subbers (or rather people who claim to be) but back in the day fan subber actually meant something, and formed the bases for something great
(puts away soapbox)
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Oooh, yes!! I'll definitely watch once they get to the earlier epis. Very Happy
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
Does this mean we may get to see it on the stream? Very Happy

And also 1080p download from horriblesubs? Anime smile
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
smilewolfy wrote:

Probably still won't be on stream since she would have to watch 14+ episodes to catch up and it's not that great of an anime (I blame JC staff)
also you do realize that every who reads your horrible subs comment wants to reach through their computers and smack you aside the head right?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Meygaera wrote:
Zilan wrote:

I did try watching Lil B's but I just couldn't get into it too much. Maybe I'll try it later when CR gets all the episodes.

While I found most routes couldn't compare to Clannad and past routes, a few routes are pretty good. I enjoyed Mio, Haruka, Yuiko and some extent Kud. The very best though is very well near the end and it is great. I just hope J.C Staff can pull it off. Kyo-ani even lacked in that area to pull off the ending properly.

What is this "routes" thing? --and what does it have to do watching anime legally or waiting for all the episodes before watching?
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
smilewolfy wrote:

Probably still won't be on stream since she would have to watch 14+ episodes to catch up and it's not that great of an anime (I blame JC staff)
also you do realize that every who reads your horrible subs comment wants to reach through their computers and smack you aside the head right?

Ahh ok, too bad, but it seems to be getting better Anime smile (here's hoping)

And about the horriblesubs thing, why? Sorry, I don't really follow translation teams or anything >.> All I know is they just get it from crunchyroll and generally have 1080p, I want my quality Very Happy

And if you mean the whole downloading thing is wrong....well I'm still gonna buy this series, I just don't like waiting and can't watch streams at home T.T
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
[quote="smilewolfy"]
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

And if you mean the whole downloading thing is wrong....well I'm still gonna buy this series, I just don't like waiting and can't watch streams at home T.T

Don't sweat it. I think many people forget that there are fans who live outside 'the US and selected countries'.

Chagen46 wrote:
No. They don't. Fansubs use mostly amateur and bad translations that tend to be far too literal.

I actually find this statement somewhat amusing. While Fencedude5609 is right in that one shouldn't (and can't) generalize, if you had watched a good number of CR translations and fansubs, you'd realize that there is a bizarre trend of fansubs becoming more liberal and CR more literal. (I prefer literal, but that's besides the point.)
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed no one picked it up and stopped following around episode 4 because I got tired of chasing down episodes. I wish it had been sooner, but better late than never. I'll probably hold off on watching until the backlogged episodes go up. Thanks CR!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

What is this "routes" thing? --

Story arcs for a character. called routes in a Visual novel
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
grooven wrote:
Meygaera wrote:
Zilan wrote:

What is this "routes" thing? --and what does it have to do watching anime legally or waiting for all the episodes before watching?

In Visual Novels like LB!, usually each girl has a seperate route--usually getting onto a particular route requires making the correct choices at certain story points, and it's quite often completely impossible to figure out what each response actually does...words cannot describe how many times I've accidently gone on the wrong route...>_>

Anyway, each route focuses on each girl's storyline. When making an anime adaption of a game like LB! one of the major challenges of adapting it is making all the routes (which are supposed to be played seperately and are divorced from each other) fit together into one coherent storyline
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sometimes CR has better translations, sometimes there are fansubs with better translations.

I would amend "better" to "that I prefer" since, actual errors notwithstanding (and I have had these corrected on CR, which you can't do without a new release or patch for a fansub), there is no absolute non-subjective measure of a translation.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
CR subs are mostly done by former fansubbers. Many of Cr's subbers post at the Anime Suki forums.

Unless I'm mistaken, their internal translation group was originally set up by Tofusensei. Sam Pinansky (who doesn't work for CR but they have used his translations) is quite open about his past as a fansubber. Adam Lensenmayer, who's done a number of CR's subs (e.g. Stein's "Xzibit" Gate) has gone by a number of handles as a fansubber.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3