• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva: 2.0's English Asuka, Mari, Kaji Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
_V_ wrote:
All's right the the world, Tiffany's back as Asuka.

Having seen how much even Spike and Allison improved after 13 years of experience, I think Tiffany as Asuka in Rebuild 2 will be simply stunning.

They improved slightly. It's hardly a night and day improvement, which is what they needed to be good. They're no Ogata and Mitsuishi.

I would argue that the exact reverse is true: Ogata and Mitsuishi were no Spike and Allison. I have listened to the original series both ways and never understood why those two were lauded, while the English cast was derided, when the Japanese performances were so flat and dull.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Unsurprised to see Grant back, though Funi had no real loyalty to the overrated ADV dub like Manga did (which greatly hurt their tl quality in the process). I like her a lot in other roles, but I'm with Penguin in agreeing that she's always sounded wrong for the character. Never knew why (could be that I had switched to the sub by Asuka's arrival due to only having access to it and got used to and adored Miyamura in the role), she just didn't do it for me. It would've been nice, given the changes to Asuka, to see how a new actress would handle it. Worked for Rei. Definitely worked for Maya and Gendo.

But the problem here is that Amanda Winn Lee's performance as Rei is immensely less iconic; the character talks in such a subdued voice all the time that it wouldn't take much effort to duplicate the performance. Maya was, for me, and toss-up (the original performance was, admittedly, only so-so), and I'm from the gang that found Tristan MacAvery's Gendo to be an ideal mix of smarminess and authority, though John Swasey is a decent replacement in a distinctly different interpretation on the character.

Tiffany Grant's Asuka, though, is one of the most iconic English dub performances of the '90s, and I'm reasonably sure that most involved in actually making English dubs recognize and acknowledge that, which combined with Tiffany's fervent love for the character made casting her again this time a slam-dunk. (Her voice hasn't significantly changed over the years, either.) For me, Asuka is not Asuka without Tiffany Grant doing that voice, as she adds so much to the character that the original seiyuu could not.

Really, those who couldn't stand her performance in the original series should just go enjoy the Japanese subbed version and stop whining about a dub that you weren't going to watch anyway.

Well said with some good thoughts on both topics I think, I agree her Asuka was just as massively iconic as Shinji and Misato's voices, and I've also voiced my opinion that Asuka is not Asuka without Tiffany Grant. These guys gave these characters their "character" and made them just as impactful for the Eva dub fans of the time contributing to how massively iconic Evangelion and it's memorable characters became both in the US and Japan.

I too loved the English cast the first time around and can't wait to hear her new performance after all this time just like _V_. Like Spike and Allison's fantastic modern nuances to the characters in the first movie in a "many-years-later-modern-dub", I'm looking forward to a fantastic performance from Tiffany Grant and her best Asuka yet.

Tiffany Grant hopefully returning as Asuka has been something I've hoped for in virtually every topic we've had discussing the casting of the Eva movies as they have come out and to finally have this news confirming it is fantastic, talk about a great holiday surprise to know that my favorite Eva character's VA is returning and that aside from Rei, most of the most memorable main character VAs (not counting Gendo since he'd be included too since while I like Swasey, MacAvery's Gendo was utterly perfect) in Shinji, Asuka and Misato were all brought back to create the new English version of these Eva movies, fantastic job on Funimation's part! Buying the BD day 1 Funi Smile

I'm not worried about Trisha Nishimura as Mari, she's been great in the shows I've heard her in and as kind of this type of character (judging her type only from her actions so far in movie 2 anyway ofcourse) before so I think she'll be good.

I'm interested to see Tatum's Kaji, I've really liked him in other shows but I hadn't thought of him for Kaji, looking forward to it.

This news totally made my day Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
*is gonna sound like a broken record* ugh Tiffany Grant back as Asuka....this Asuka is more subdued in the rebuilds they better keep her on a leash or get a female va that can act the downplayed roll or this is going to suck badly as for the other two I'm on the fence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
Jikorijo wrote:
I actually wasn't expecting Grant to return as Asuka. I'll be interested in seeing how she's changed compared to Spike Spencer and Allison Keith. I do wonder why they didn't ask Amanada Winn Lee back to voice Rei since it seems they're getting back a lot of the original VAs.

I've never heard of the two VAs for Mari or Kaji.

J. Michael Tatum, who plays Kaji, also played Kyoya on Ouran High School Host Club and Sebastian Michaelis on Black Butler, just to give you a frame of reference. He's pretty good. I wonder if he'll do the hick accent...^__^

Also, as a Asuka fanboy (statuette of her balanced on top of my TV as I write this) I won't be buying this. I started to watch the camrip that was out a while ago, and got pissed when spoiler[Asuka was killed instead of Toji.] That means that, for me, THIS is the end of Evangelion.
Taekmkm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Vash, you're a moron and anyone that's actually seen the movie will also agree with me.

e: It's mean, but seriously man you missed a 4 minute scene clearly disproving that.
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
You kids are funny.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, I was hoping that Grant would get cast... ...as Ritsuko!!! I always like her better as older, more bitter characters. (Hahaha, I'll brace myself for the flying vegetables now...)

Anyway, I know that a lot of people were really hoping for Grant to play Asuka again, so good for them! I never watch the dub on Eva, so this doesn't really effect me, but I bet a bunch of fans are happy about this!
Jikorijo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Also, as a Asuka fanboy (statuette of her balanced on top of my TV as I write this) I won't be buying this. I started to watch the camrip that was out a while ago, and got pissed when spoiler[Asuka was killed instead of Toji.] That means that, for me, THIS is the end of Evangelion.

Just to correct you on one thing: spoiler[ Asuka didn't die after Unit 3 was destroyed, she was just injured. She appears in the preview at the end of the film and will appear in the third film.]
Logan Essex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Jikorijo wrote:
I do wonder why they didn't ask Amanada Winn Lee back to voice Rei since it seems they're getting back a lot of the original VAs.

They did ask her. But as much as she wanted to, she was unable to do it, so FUNi went with the closest thing they had.

FUNi made it a point to ask all of the original voices back first, or at least all of the main voices. If anyone was recast it means either the original VA didn't want to do the role again, or FUNi couldn't find them.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Tiffany Grant is back as Asuka

/me goes and pre-orders his ticket for the Jan 20th screening.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Jikorijo wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:

Just to correct you on one thing: spoiler[ Asuka didn't die after Unit 3 was destroyed, she was just injured. She appears in the preview at the end of the film and will appear in the third film.]

spoiler[Yeah I hope he reads that so he doesn't pass on the movie just for a misconception since Asuka is still alive. I'll admit I would have had the same reaction towards Eva 2.22 if she had died so stupidly, so hopefully he sees this, and hopefully Asuka gets some more showpiece scenes in the coming movies, she needs to kick some more ass in some more action scenes still since Mari (and some Shinji) got most of the good action in movie 2 outside of her cool air-battle entrance.]

Logan Essex wrote:
Jikorijo wrote:
I do wonder why they didn't ask Amanada Winn Lee back to voice Rei since it seems they're getting back a lot of the original VAs.

They did ask her. But as much as she wanted to, she was unable to do it, so FUNi went with the closest thing they had.

FUNi made it a point to ask all of the original voices back first, or at least all of the main voices. If anyone was recast it means either the original VA didn't want to do the role again, or FUNi couldn't find them.

It's cool hearing that they at least tried to get her back too, even if they couldn't get it to work out and even though they did a great job with her new actress it still would have been cool since Amanda Winn Lee's very good too.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, penguin of truth. What English voice actor would YOU want to voice Shinji Ikari? Someone with great subtle acting skills who could match or beat Megumi Ogata's Shinji? And while you're at it, who would make a good Asuka as well.

I don't know much about Spike Spencer or how old he is, but his Shinji sounded young so I take it that he was young back when Neon Genesis Evangelion came out in English, and not as skilled in voice acting, so he didn't really take the role that seriously.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
I'm curious, penguin of truth. What English voice actor would YOU want to voice Shinji Ikari? Someone with great subtle acting skills who could match or beat Megumi Ogata's Shinji? And while you're at it, who would make a good Asuka as well.

Don't think you're going to capture me in some, "I'd like to see YOU do better" argument. It's not my job to cast voice actors. It's Funimation's.

But what the hell, for fun, why not? Aaron Dismuke or Joel McDonald could be Shinji. Gwendolyn Lau or Kara Edwards could play Asuka. I think these VAs have a lot more capability than either Spencer or Grant in expressing emotions and have played roles in the past that have made me believe they could possibly do well in these roles.

Who I'd pick is ultimately just trivia, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Logan Essex wrote:
Jikorijo wrote:

You know I always wonder what Amanda Winn-Lee thought of Brina Palencia's portrayal of Rei for Evangeion 1.0. I would like to hear Amanda's own word what she thought of Brina's performance as Rei. I hope she priase Brina.

Also I wish Aaron Krohn (who voiced Kaji in the original TV show) could've came back to voice Kaji for Evangelion 2.0, but couldn't make it. I hope J Michael Tatum can give Kaji justice and let it be on par as Aaron and Kaji's JPN VA, Koichi Yamadera. I hope Aaron Krohn is aware of this (I wonder if he read ANN), and maybe praise J Michael Tatum for voicing Kaji.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It's Rei. If you're a woman, and you can whisper, you can be Rei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3