• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kimikiss: Pure Rouge DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to re-post what I wrote in the talkback thread for the first collection:
Megiddo wrote:
It's interesting to note that Theron wrote about the "lack of originality" when he clearly made note of what is original about Kimikiss, that of it having two main characters with separate love interests instead of the simple harem.

And personally, I hate those frogs.

Also, Theron. Name me another series of this type that has a kiss in the very first episode. And I don't mean an accidental kiss or whatnot, but an actual kiss. Because that is what hooked me onto this series. The fact that it doesn't spend as much time beating around the bush to get to actions, with Futami particularly.

I do agree that Kimikiss is overall an average shounen romance show, but I will not agree that it lacks originality for the points listed above.

The reason to do so is that once again, Theron mentions that there is nothing original about this show. Whereas I found it quite refreshing to have more than one male lead and that it had a kiss in the very first episode, meaning it wasn't going to spend the entire series building up to that kiss, which I really don't like series that do that.

Maybe that's just because I find dating and the more romantic aspect of a relationship to be more interesting than that juvenile period of "Does he like me?" or "Does she like me?" which usually features lots of staring and/or bubbles (I'm looking at you, Kimi ni Todoke).

So honestly Theron, if you have seen lots of other shows that are akin to Kimikiss then please let me know what they are. I'd love to see more shows about such, particularly ones that aren't mired with fanservice (a la Ichigo 100%, I''s, etc). I'm always interested in learning about more shows.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The lack of originality I'm talking about is in the way events play out. Yes, this one doesn't climax with the kiss scenes like a lot of others do, and yes, there are two male leads, but the relationships play out in (by anime standards) utterly predictable paths using highly predictable sequences of events. How many times before have we seen a girl who really likes a guy help another girl get together with that guy while trying to bury her own feelings, only those feelings don't stay buried? (That happens multiple times here, including two almost-competing instances of it.) How typical is the scene where one girl gives up with grace when the guy finally settles on another girl? How often do the spoiler["fall in love with a childhood friend of the opposite gender, and that turns out to be more true love than anything else"] cases happen?

Again, aside from having the dual male leads (which is just a single male lead split into two aspects) and Kazuki's dogged pursuit of Eriko, there wasn't anything happening here that I hadn't seen many times before. Rumbling Hearts, Kasimasi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~, and (basically) Toradora! are other series which immediately spring to mind which do some version of this. I'm certain that I could come up with others if I thought about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1