• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - The NHK Took My Baby Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Second, the anime cut out the heavy drug use. In the book, Satou is a self-medicating manic-depressive. But because he's not on hallucinogens in the anime, his hallucinations make him seem like a schizophrenic.

Those, and his panic attacks. When I was watching the anime, I looked up the Wikipedia article on schizophrenia and started picking out the symptoms. I thought that if only he could get treatment, he likely would be much better, but in that Japan there was small chance of that. (At least, that is my understanding—that there is little in the way of mental health support.)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Why are hikikomori considered a Japanese thing? It may not be as widespread as in Japan, but I don't think shut-ins are that rare, at least in America.

It's not just the "shut-in" factor, but the actual reasons behind becoming a shut-in, that make it uniquely japanese. I don't know all that many people who buckle under the pressure of not making it into college, trying year after year before finally giving up. Though becoming a recluse due to bullying is a lot more common, the entire first part of this articles explains rather well how Japanese society is really built in favor of those who succeed early on, and those who fail at first, or repeatedly, get left behind very easily. While shut-ins may be common in other areas, the specific cultural reasons behind Japanese becoming hikikomori is very unique.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
[When I was watching the anime, I looked up the Wikipedia article on schizophrenia and started picking out the symptoms. I thought that if only he could get treatment, he likely would be much better, but in that Japan there was small chance of that. (At least, that is my understanding—that there is little in the way of mental health support.)

If it was something as severe as schizophrenia, yes, and the Japanese lately have fully bought into the "fix it with pills" philosophy. But there's still a big stigma with being diagnosed with a mental disorder, and going to a therapist just because you're going through a bout of depression isn't something people normally due. I've heard it theorized that the reason fortune tellers are more popular than ever is because they are a socially acceptable form of talk-therapy.
Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a decent shout out for the NHK novel.

Brian's certainly onto something in suggesting the NHK novel as a candidate for Tokyopop's print on demand store, especially so considering the prices it's going for through used book stores. Very Happy

Also, when discussing and promoting the novel it makes sense to provide background details of the social issues revolving around the hikikomori condition/symptom, but I just wanted to throw in a thanks for providing as much as you have, including the references to external articles. This has been something I'd read many articles and papers on, before the exposure of this anime and the English translation of the novel, but it's always nice to have a more grounded perspective provided along side the pop culture treatment.

On Tokyopop's Pop Fiction:
+1 to reprinting. Especially if they feel it will help pool funds or interest in funding for their Pop Fiction Line..
immortalrite wrote:
Also, I wonder what's up with TokyoPop's "Pop Fiction" line. First they decide to drop Kino's Journey completely, and now NHK is out of print as well? Perhaps this Print-On-Demand store is meant to remedy some of these issues.
THIS. Kinoo~ come baaack~ Anime cry I know of at least 3 or 4 acquaintances which would gladly pre-order continued translations of Kino's Journey, even if the release date was indefinite. (just to say there's interest even if we may not represent the broadest demographic). The Kino's Journey anime also quite often appeals to individuals that have otherwise exhibited neutral interest in Japanese animation. I'm not certain that would carry over to a noticeably larger market for the novels, but I figured it's worth pointing out. (and just to say it does seem to spread well by recommendation)

I'm fairly certain it's not a case of "People want it, it's valuable, if we hold on to it and people want it.. then we're valuable!" Razz It's unfortunate when companies want to release things but can't find a way to make it feasible. I don't remember what the hang up was, hopefully it's not in the licensing agreements. They seemed to be pretty darn open in the past on their forums about upcoming/prospective releases etc, so that's probably a good place to poke around since I haven't done so of followed their news in a while.

I ended up with two copies of the NHK novel.. I pre-ordered it online as soon as the option was available; however, I subsequently forgot I'd done so, and upon seeing it on the shelf of a local store I bought a second copy without thinking. I only noticed this when the 'second' copy showed up on my door step. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Was good though, as the back cover ended up folded over and beat up during transport while reading.

Reactions to the various forms/adaptations:
(maybe worth a look if you are considering trying the anime/manga/novel and had similar opinions about any of them)

Followed the manga- loved the 'dark comedy'. Pre-ordered soon after it was available.

Anime adaptation aired- was sceptical, but figured I'd judge it as standing on it's own; though, the risk/pay-off of 'Gonzo' was in the back of my mind. The drama vibes and toned down content had me less interested.
vashfanatic wrote:
the anime seemed to focus on the "pervert" angle far more than in the book. When he meets Misaki and makes a fool of himself in the anime, his first thought is to masturbate. In the book, it's to make a very half-assed suicide attempt. The difference was so jarring, it made me love the book instantly.
Similar reaction here, though I was influenced by the manga before the first episode aired, and thus noticed the differences between the anime and manga, and only later more between the two and the novel.

...continuing from above.. (Though, it didn't help that I held/hold a somewhat biased perception of increased "pervy" fanservice, of the type crafted with a form which eases marketability.) As mentioned by jenthehen, I saw the humour in, for example, the covers and promo art on the puzzles, but wasn't convinced. I deal better with such things in manga form. Or rather, when it doesn't feel as if it's just sprinkled on, and instead, when a 'buy-able' or actually 'legitimate' reason is created in that it provides commentary or value, and it's not just value-added content. While not my cup-o-tea, you're right, they weren't that bad, just a small personal annoyance in contrast with some of the reasons why I felt I enjoyed the show, or what I found value in, or, at least the ones I felt (or preferred to) define what represented my interest. :p

Aside on Awkaward product covers: (let us repress thoughts of the Excel Saga thinpack cover, and maybe the first spice and wolf english novel cover, the dreaded back cover of Ichigo Mashimaro's manga volume 2, or other such awkwardly 'out of place' covers... ok ok, maybe the Ichigo Mashimaro cover is appropriate depending on who you are Rolling Eyes, and yeah the Spice and Wolf cover probably will help sell well for their target audience, but Excel Saga? come now, that's just cheating. >.< ) But cheers to ADV's original Excel Saga box design. And several thumbs up for Funimation's first box and packaging of Mushishi, the accessories thrown in with Nozomi's Aria, and maybe pushing it, but the postcards included with Someday's Dreamers. that's catering to the proper fans. Very Happy Or, maybe the Japanese releases of volume 6 of the NHK manga that came with a copy of their 'game', <- not all off topic, or that one ecchi thing that came with a pair of.. Embarassed oh never mind (end rambling)

Put the anime on hiatus- but later peeked at the ending, which provided motivation to finish the series.

Read the light novel- appreciated the dark nature, depressing issues, original back story and perspective...
immortalrite wrote:
(referring to the anime).. while it treats all the same problems it ends on a much more cathartic and redemptive (perhaps even "optimistic"?) note.
..and thus, attained a new respect for Gonzo's adaptation; and an understanding of where the mangaka's comedic input (through the manga) extended the 'comedy' that might be found in the novel, but as told with a more cynical and more ridiculous view of someone that still understands the situation.

Somewhere along the line I finished up the last few volumes of the manga, and while it was a while ago, and while I can say the ending was interesting - I wasn't too impressed. (the ending seemed tossed together) Attained yet again, a bit more respect for Gonzo's ending. Smile (even if Satou's situation, and the ending in general provided a more 'resolved' or improved feeling, which might feel as if in contrast with the novel)

Overall, I can't say this is my favorite manga and less so the anime, but the light novel was excellent.

here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Although Welcome to the N.H.K. is more serious than a standard light novel (its main concession to the form is the cover illustration by Yoshitoshi ABe),

Hooray! I love any shout out to ABe!
I agree, here-and-faraway, patchy, vashfanatic, fans. This is exactly why I had nooo problem keeping both copies of the novel, instead of trying to sell it off or return it immediately. Wink

Also, the recommendations are appreciated, Moomintroll, vashfanatic.
(I also bought but still haven't read the first volume of Faust. I suppose I should thumb through it.)

Random side note: I also missed out on the Boogiepop novels and have only read two of them. It seemed as though they were being re-released in tiny form along side Shinigami no Ballad, but I haven't looked too far into that to see if it was completely re-released. Also haven't looked for used copies since a few years ago.

TLDR. skip this but don't forget to read the other comments, or let it prevent you from commenting on a good article about a great novel Wink
DJsagara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Beyond echoing the praise for the novel (far, far better than the manga - haven't seen the anime) it's worth pointing out that Michael Zielenziger's Shutting Out The Sun - How Japan Created It's Own Lost Generation is a very accessible, affordable and engrossing read for anybody interested in the hikikomori phenomenon (as well as various other Japanese social problems).

Haha, if it's not a light novel, nobody would read it, particularly in Japan where book reading is in heavy decline. Laughing

A few would. Like me, I bought the book Shutting Out the Sun a while back actually. It was not too long after I finished the Welcome To the NHK anime so my interest in the topic had been peaked by it. Of course part of it may have just been me wanting to read a book about hikikomori because of my own shut in tendencies. Sort of like the person who decides to major or minor in psychology in college because they suspect something might be wrong him or herself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3