• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Financials

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
We can only hope that this small snag will lead to 4kids downfall someday in the year 20XX.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
After a few years, a series is expected to drop in popularity. I can definitely infer that the popularity of 4Kids has dropped, after reading some of the posts made these days...
Raimaru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This is good news but not good enough. Hopefully their Rev. and profits will continue to decline more and more until they are forced into selling their license for One Piece to another company. A company that will market One piece to the teenage demographic and they will remake all the dubbs with better voice actors, and without edits, AND they will show it on night time television.
mwahahahah hahahahaha
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Raimaru wrote:
This is good news but not good enough. Hopefully their Rev. and profits will continue to decline more and more until they are forced into selling their license for One Piece to another company. A company that will market One piece to the teenage demographic and they will remake all the dubbs with better voice actors, and without edits, AND they will show it on night time television.
mwahahahah hahahahaha

Actually, I would rather hope that 4Kids rethinks abit about also targetting to Audiances outside of their intended demographic abit more and capitalize on it.

They can do it, the question is, will they commit more resources to do it?
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Raimaru wrote:
A company that will market One piece to the teenage demographic and they will remake all the dubbs with better voice actors, and without edits, AND they will show it on night time television.
mwahahahah hahahahaha
Actually, since it's so rare that a show will change that much in the middle, they could just show it on TV in Japanesen with English subs. I think G4Tech TV did that with a series once or twice. (Or so my friend says.)
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're learning now that they can't ride on Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! forever.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Butchering poor defenseless unkowing anime causes financial downfall?

Hmm Confused never crossed my mind.

I've never touched one of their DVDs and do my best to avoid their shows because my braincells would start commiting suicide.

If this leads to them releasing un-edited subbed versions then we'll talk about this "me no touchie your DVDs" thing.

Though they'll probably just continue with their current ways and in about ten years go out of business. Only to be replaced by someone else. *Sighs*
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TsubomiKoneko"

Though they'll probably just continue with their current ways and in about ten years go out of business. Only to be replaced by someone else. *Sighs*[/quote]

Or hopefully they decide to dump a few of their properities and the other companies decide to pick it up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Or they might cut their loses and abandon their commitment to making their licenses uncut afterwards. Wink
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
4Kids TV will die, all the shows will move to Cartoon Network, and 4Kids will act like nothing ever happened.

It'll seem just like it too. One Piece on Toonami isn't doing too hot, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has already regulated to the 6:30 AM "death slot". Yu-Gi-Oh GX is going to be on cable.

Eh... I say they become either:

a) Nothing. They won't exist.
b) A success because ___ was able to somehow pull through.
c) A fallen empire as the result of a lot of bad business, or
d) A good anime company.

Order of likelihood: cabd
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yeah, at 11 PM. Knights of the Zodiac did well for it's timeslot, 12 AM, and you DO know where that went, yeah?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I would rather hope that 4Kids rethinks a bit about also targeting to audiences outside of their intended demographic a bit more and capitalize on it.

They can do it, the question is, will they commit more resources to do it?

Well, it's good to know that there's at least one other person that thinks rationally about these matters.

What you propose would be nice. 10-14's and 13-17's are very still easily influenced. After all, in today's market, you have to be diversified.

one3rd wrote:
Maybe they're learning now that they can't ride on Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! forever.

A company learning it can't beat a dead horse that's given them money and recognition for umpteen years? Preposterous! *coughDisneycough*
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

What, you think 4Kids tells the truth?

They're in obvious denial. Yeah, 4Kids TV will suddenly become a breakout hit that will bring the company back on its knees. Right. Come on, the guy is boasting about Ojamajo Doremi like it's going to be their next cashcow. Shows how much credibility 4Kids has.

I agree that 4Kids should expand. Yu-Gi-Oh edited gets great 12-17 ratings, why don't they make it a little more mature for the secondary audience? Kids will watch it simply because it's Yu-Gi-Oh and another audience will authentically enjoy it.

One Piece getting a better dub midway might not seem plausible but hey, a network shift could do the trick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1