• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Hansaku Iroha TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
I checked out an episode the other night on ANN and it seemed like a sweet little show. It seemed more like Chihayafuru - one I watch when I want to relax - but now that someone mentioned controversy in episode 3, I may need to move it closer to the top of my watch list for being scandalous! Smile

Either way, good job NISA~!
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
I am so glad that Hanasaku Iroha FINALLY got licensed and that NISA is the company that picked it up. Their premium boxsets are the best! If only they'd license Wandering Son as well, I would love them forever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
Tukuyomi wrote:
Now, if they'd license Natsuiro Kiseki as well, it'd be just perfect!

Please, NIS!

Huh, I thought I was the only one who watched that show. Well, not literally, but Natsuiro Kiseki wasn't exactly very popular. Shame too, since it was actually pretty good. I don't even like idols and I found it to be a enjoyable watch. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear you say that you liked it.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I'm not sure what to say here. When someone says something unimaginably stupid and wrong, read it carefully again. Things to look out for include "I am entitled" (if they're serious, they might use the word "deserve") and "being the thoroughly ignorant, and generally childish individual that I am" (people who are serious don't generally insult themselves). Beyond that, just remember that it is possible to pretend on the Internet, and try and gain a sense of how people convey sarcasm or irony.

Move over, ikillchicken. This post just took this thread.

jymmy, you just described pretty much every anime fan out there with this post.

It's no wonder angelmcazares was confused. ikc could have written it as a hater and the post would have come out the same way.
Very Happy

Good fun, but don't read too much into it. Those who'll want this show badly enough aren't going to care about dubbing.

Which is where I fit.

Now, the only complaint I will have rests squarely on NISA's shoulders for releasing products they then have to recall/exchange.

Let's just hope this one doesn't suffer from those "production issues" on its rush to make that April deadline.

In fact, I think I'll wait for the rest of you to confirm the quality before I buy it.
Tukuyomi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Huh, I thought I was the only one who watched that show. Well, not literally, but Natsuiro Kiseki wasn't exactly very popular. Shame too, since it was actually pretty good. I don't even like idols and I found it to be a enjoyable watch. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear you say that you liked it.

That show is amazing! At first I thought it would be a really lame and generic show, but after one episode I was hooked and watched all episodes in two days. It just made me feel good watching it, if also a bit nostalgic.
I found the music to be really good too, even though I'm not big on idols either.

On the whole, Natsuiro Kiseki is imo somewhere between Hanasaku Iroha and Toradora, which is why I think it'd be perfect for NIS.

Oh well, I should head over to their forum and have a look if they accept suggestions.
Too bad though the show didn't do that well, but maybe a license would be cheaper because of that...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I checked out an episode the other night on ANN and it seemed like a sweet little show. It seemed more like Chihayafuru - one I watch when I want to relax - but now that someone mentioned controversy in episode 3, I may need to move it closer to the top of my watch list for being scandalous!

Speaking of, what was the controversy?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Just in case that there is indeed some universal law that dictates if enough peeps clamour for a certain show it will actually get picked up, let me add my enthusiastic voice for a Natsuiro Kiseki release and NISA would indeed be a wonderful home for it.

@neocloud9 - re: Hanasaku Iroha 3 eppie controversy: the MC (a 15-ish year old girl) is spoiler["kidnapped" by a guest at the inn where she works and is tied up bondage style. The sitch is played for laughs, but the tone was somewhat incongruous to the rest of the show.] I didn't have a big problem with it, but dtm42, for example, pretty much lost his mind over it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Speaking of, what was the controversy?

Well, if you want spoilers:

spoiler[A down-on-his-luck author suffering from writer's block who was staying long-term at the inn kidnaps Ohana. He takes her to his room and then puts her in traditional Japanese rope bondage (she admittedly still has her clothes on). He's so incompetent he doesn't know how to properly tie off the rope and she's so touched in the head she tries to help him finish tying her up by reading some instructions. Bear in mind that despite her weird almost non-plussed reaction this is not a scene played for comedy. Anyway, the author gets found out, then tries to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff into the sea but gets saved by one of the waitresses at the inn. After acting like a completely pathetic dweeb he is subsequently forgiven for all that has happened and is allowed to stay at the inn for the rest of the show as long as he helps out with the work (turns out he doesn't have any money to pay for all the weeks he already spent there as a guest). Basically he becomes a comic relief character but that's about it. So the episode not only had Ohana acting not very believable at being kidnapped and tied up by a creep, but then made light of suicide and the consequences of committing kidnapping. Remember, this episode was in no way played for laughs.]

Some people including myself found this episode to be extremely stupid and a big black mark on the show, while others found it to be a mere unsavoury blip that didn't affect the rest of the show. That's what the controversy was about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
The scene WASN'T played for comedy??? Laughing Anyone who is familiar with dtm42's, uh, "special" outlook will know to ignore that bit of ridiculousness.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
Dropped this show after the 3rd episode. I liked the first two episodes but after the 3rd episode I didn't feel any desire to watch anymore.

Perhaps that is a bit unfair but after a series completely does something entirely different from your impression of its first two episodes you kind of lose faith in it.

I also heard mixed things about the series from many people.

Happy for the people who wanted to own this show but it's one I will be saving money on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Glad this has been licensed, and by NIS. Maybe one day I'll be rich enough to import it... I also add my voice to the Natsuiro Kiseki call. That show was so sweet.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Thought I may as well chime in on Natsuiro Kiseki support. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I got a show that was solid and consistent. I also really liked it, and "Non stop road" is one of my top 26 J-pop songs.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The scene WASN'T played for comedy??? Laughing Anyone who is familiar with dtm42's, uh, "special" outlook will know to ignore that bit of ridiculousness.
Seriously.... Sure it was tasteless, but to say it wasn't played for laughs is completely missing the point. Episode 3 certainly was the low point of the series, but some people tend to make it sound worse than it actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animeninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
It is on my list to buy.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Yay! ^^;

I was very happy to read that NISA was picking up the license for Hanasaku Iroha. I was always a _little_ worried that Funi or ADV might have grabbed it, and that would have been terrible. Only NISA can do the series justice (well, Nozomi too, but they don't yet release Blu-rays), with their standard premium-release packaging providing a place for a lot of the material that was included in the small books that came with each Japanese BD. There's plenty of artwork for NISA to choose from, too.

I imported the BDs from Japan, and I'll definitely double-dip.

Same here, but I'm not too sure about getting premium edition because I already have the Hanasaku Iroha art book (P.A. Works Edition) and Japanese BD.

There are plenty of artworks that NISA can chose from, but they will be sorely limited by the number of pages.(Japanese BD small books are over 500 pages total). Anyway by looking at NISA's past premium book designs, the following are what they are likely throw in:

1. BD/DVD Cover arts
2. Japanese magazine spreads
3. Character Model sheets
4. Background Arts
5. Episode Guide

These are good enough for any US fans having interest in owning a "starter" premium edition. It's not like US fans will go crazy over audio drama, commentaries, screenplay, mini-novel, production drawings, storyboard, and etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7