• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upcoming 4Kids Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
Oh,wow! Shocked When will this anime end!? I find it annoying at times. And I just saw yesterday's episode...sorta.

ANYWAY, how come it's taking so long for the anime to end? I mean, my brother said he heard about there being another YGO show...like a sequel, with some red head kid as the main character...I dont know. Confused
Seca

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
As of the June issue they're only up to chapter 10.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I think BLEACH would be a great fit for Toonami
*Screams*
Bruce Lee wrote:
(OR AS so I could see it during the week in replays )
Now that's better.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
4Kids is really a terrible company when they start to dabble in more mature series. I mean it is fine for them to take Kirby or Pokemon...those are literally for children. But they just butchered Yugi-Oh. An entire first season was never even aired because of how it was. I guess they would have a hard time selling merchandise about a kid with an egyptian puzzle that turns him into some genius murderer of sorts. I mean Yugi emolated one guy, electrocuted another...stole the soul of another. The first several volumes revolve around Yugi simply taking out people who are harassing his friends. And when I say take out...I mean take out. He must kill something or seriously injure about 10 guys in the first several volumes. But most would never know that, unless they read the manga (which thankfully Viz left in tact). I remember when everybody thought 4Kids was going to get a hold of Naruto. According to some rumors I read, 4Kids changed their mind after finding it too difficult to edit Naruto, while keeping the story cohesive.
tfcreate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with 4-Kids' (Even their name speaks a wrong-headed mind-set towards anime) presentation to anime inthat they tend to treat it anime with a 1970's mentality, that being all cartoons are just for kids. They could have done better. Unfortunately, they're one of the big boys on the block, so they get to call the shots. Lets hope that they don't blow this one too.... Confused
TFC
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Bruce Lee wrote:
I think BLEACH would be a great fit for Toonami
*Screams*
Bruce Lee wrote:
(OR AS so I could see it during the week in replays )
Now that's better.

Oh come on. Bleach can work well for a 9-17 audience, just if it doesn't contain the standard 4Kids edits.

Though if 4Kids licenses it you can expect that, and it won't go to Adult Swim. That would taint their disgusting kid-friendly image that everyone has grown to hate. Toonami would seem like the most likely choice, and if One Piece is any indication, it won't be treated any different than a generic 4Kids dub.

And if a CEO of an anime company can't pronounce "Pokemon" right, then I have no hope in them.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

And if a CEO of an anime company can't pronounce "Pokemon" right, then I have no hope in them.
Wait, the proper way to pronounce Pokemon...the "e" is like a long "a" right? At least that's how I remember they said in in the TV series. Ah what the hell, who cares?

Last edited by .Sy on Mon May 16, 2005 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seca

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
But they just butchered Yugi-Oh. An entire first season was never even aired because of how it was. I guess they would have a hard time selling merchandise about a kid with an egyptian puzzle that turns him into some genius murderer of sorts. I mean Yugi emolated one guy, electrocuted another...stole the soul of another. The first several volumes revolve around Yugi simply taking out people who are harassing his friends. And when I say take out...I mean take out. He must kill something or seriously injure about 10 guys in the first several volumes. But most would never know that, unless they read the manga (which thankfully Viz left in tact).

Yea but that 'first season' of Yu-Gi-Oh! that you're talking bout isn't a season of the TV series that's been released in the US, but it's own series by itself done by a different animation studio. Which is why the characters look so different.

The actual first season of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series that 4kid's bought the licensing for is the duelist kingdom story arc.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

This is absurd. Just because someone doesn't go way out of their way to override whatever regional dialect or accent they grew up with in order to pronounce a foreign term just like its native speakers do (and in this case, a foreign NONSENSE word derived from two English terms, anyway) doesn't make them any less credible. Grow up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden6880 wrote:
I mean, my brother said he heard about there being another YGO show...like a sequel, with some red head kid as the main character...I don't know. Confused

Dingdingdingdingding! You are correct about that. It's set in the future and has all new characters, which is actually a good thing. (Why couldn't Pokémon figure that out?)

Suikoden6880 wrote:
ANYWAY, how come it's taking so long for the anime to end?

Because Shonen Jump anime tend to have a truckload of episodes (It's pretty much a rule of thumb to expect one to have at least 100) Right now, we have seen 180 of the 224 episodes in this series. The current saga ends at 184.

Another thing is that American scheduling is different than in Japan. Over there, they pretty much got one episode a week straight without repeats until the series ended, which means this show was airing for a good 56 MONTHS. In America, a show would normally get like a stint of 13 or 26 episodes or so per season, although 5-days-a-week shows can get around 200 a year. Since YGO is a double run show, we have been getting about 48 episodes per season, which is a darn good clip.

In fact, I take back all I said earlier, as all the episodes should be shown. This season will theoretically end in late May/early June, leaving a 40-episode sprint to the finish next fall.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, WOW! Smile

THNX for all that information, Joe Mello!!! It makes more since now.
(I was a bit too lazy to quote... Laughing )

[/quote]
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:

Yea but that 'first season' of Yu-Gi-Oh! that you're talking bout isn't a season of the TV series that's been released in the US, but it's own series by itself done by a different animation studio. Which is why the characters look so different.

The actual first season of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series that 4kid's bought the licensing for is the duelist kingdom story arc.

All of these divisions in the series to make new ones, are false. It is just like Pokemon or Pokemon Johto Journey. It is all the same show. The actual first season was never aired, end of fact. 4Kids didn't air it, because of how dark it is. We aren't talking run of the mill violence. We are talking shot to death, beaten the hell out of, soul stolen, emolation (burned alive). And these aren't circumstantial events. These events are all caused by Yugi using the shadow games to make people suffer. This is why America's "first season" is different than the actual first season of the show. This sort of misunderstanding is just another reason as to why domestic anime pisses me off sometimes.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
Seca wrote:

All of these divisions in the series to make new ones, are false. It is just like Pokemon or Pokemon Johto Journey. It is all the same show. The actual first season was never aired, end of fact. 4Kids didn't air it, because of how dark it is. We aren't talking run of the mill violence. We are talking shot to death, beaten the hell out of, soul stolen, emolation (burned alive). And these aren't circumstantial events. These events are all caused by Yugi using the shadow games to make people suffer. This is why America's "first season" is different than the actual first season of the show. This sort of misunderstanding is just another reason as to why domestic anime pisses me off sometimes.

To be fair, the first "series" was animated by a different studio, and overall wouldn't have fit 4Kids model that was aimed at the series (IE merchandising. This is the same way they had it in every other section in the world). They'd have to renegotiate it, and then have to try and work around the differences in character appearance, and yeah..

The thing is though, it's always going to be a Kid's series. It's what the show is aimed at. 4Kids intentions are not the Otaku market, the area in which people want these shows uncut and bilingual, it's the kids who's parent's will buy copious ammounts of merchandise for them.

So they're not contract bound to be seen as the same series, and it sort of makes sense as to why they wouldn't sell 4Kids the first series (or bother telling 4kids about it). The second stage of Yugioh is the one they wanted for an international audience, in order to sell things.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
But the only 4Kids shows that have been breakout hits with kids are Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Quote:
This is absurd. Just because someone doesn't go way out of their way to override whatever regional dialect or accent they grew up with in order to pronounce a foreign term just like its native speakers do (and in this case, a foreign NONSENSE word derived from two English terms, anyway) doesn't make them any less credible. Grow up.

Doesn't change the fact that it's (mainly) HIS show. You don't see any American artists mispronouncing their show names.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Wed May 18, 2005 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkinusgurl

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
These people are absolutely stupid!! They didn't air the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! so why are they stoppin' now?! I had to read Shonen Jump just to know what happened!! GX doesn't have any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! characters we know and love! I've seen how the new characters look and they look almost exactly like the old characters! Mad Also,what's up with Tokyo Mew Mew not being on the fall line-up?? That had just better be an error because I like watching it and I waited MONTHS just to see the show! Before it came on I had to read the manga just because I got addicted to it( I guess you could say I was a bit obsessed). Smile They need to get their anime line-up sraight and need to fix their older series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3