• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Apocalypse Zero GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
By the way, everyone should buy this. :D

lol "artistry"
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I'm tempted to read this just to see if it matches the lows of Deus Vitate or Beyblade. If I have the odd desire to throw away 20 minutes of my life next time I'm in BandN, maybe I'll look into it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The anime version has one of the highest jaw-dropper contents of any animation I've seen in addition to being to being thoroughly disgusting, so I'm not surprised the manga turned out the way it did.

In the anime, though, the sibling was a sister. . . wasn't she?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In the anime, though, the sibling was a sister. . . wasn't she?

They touch upon this briefly in the second half. spoiler[His/Her body is a super human form, stronger and more flexible than that of a normal person, apparently allowing him to change his form. This is all thanks to merging with the Kasumi armor. I'm still not entirely sure if this has to do with the armor being evil by nature or Harara tainting it with whatever dastardly reasons he had beforehand or both (gotta wait for the rest of the manga, I suppose - I still need volumes two and up).]

Anyway, I guess I should briefly explain why I enjoyed it. Yes, this is basically cliche, stupid, disgusting, offensive, doesn't have any apparent point (aside from the one outlined by the author in the back, although I suppose some would dismiss that as an excuse), and it's fun as hell. A good plot is by no means a bad thing, but there are times when it's fun to cast those things aside for a little while to see how a guy in an awesome suit of armor defeats some perverted, grotesque monster. If you don't have a strong stomach, then yes, you should probably stay away. If you wouldn't mind a little gross, ridiculous fun, then get this.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote
I loved the Apocalypse Zero OVA, it was proof ya don't need some genius plot or realistic complex characters to make an anime enjoyable. Oh hell no.

You just need a wild imagination, brutual violence, sex and disturbing images.
LPMtheAWESOME

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought it was pretty good as simple fun, and didn't really find the gore all that heavy or surprising ( a few deaths every once in a while...) The second volume sucked ass though, the lead just a tool and dull info (or at least the way it was presented.) Hopefully it'll get back on track for me the third volume, but an F!?!?!?!?!???!??!?!???!?!??!??!??!?!?!??!?
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Obviously Apocalypse Zero is not for everyone. Yamaguchi knows his way around grotesque. I can see some people giving this an "F" just because it isn't their taste.

One thing I CAN say is that every comic artist that I've shown Apocalypse Zero wants a copy of it.

-Franky
Managing Editor
Media Blasters Press
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most everyone here...this is definitely not one for the squeamish. I would say the violence level surpasses Fist of the North Star and even Urotsukidouji at certain points. It's really nasty but, kinda ridiculous at the same time. I don't know how anyone can take it so seriously. It's not meant to be the most intelligent thing out there...far from it I would imagine. A lot of newer fans seem to have a problem with the older style of character design...just kinda curious why that is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1