• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Head Hair Gel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Good grief! Now where to I sigh up to get to Japan?

You have admit the music is good for about 10 sec.

Funny! Laughing
kopiikat

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thought this page was horribly insulting? Aside from being generally Orientalist with the music and font, it also calls Japan "a world where everything is made up of bright colours and bubbles" (I doubled checked that they were talking about Japan and not manga when they said this...), and says things like "manga artists stick to precise graphic rules" which I think a lot of real artists would find rather insulting.

Seriously, have they ever been to a Tokyo suburb? A land of bubbles and bright colors? Maybe Shibuya or something, but of course the shopping districts are shiny! (Though, I have yet to see bubbles in Shibuya.) Plus, almost everyone in Tokyo wears black and tan!

I don't know... exaggerating a is alright if you're trying to sell a stylized product like this, but I really wish they had gone about some of it in a better way... As "coooool" as Japan is, it's not exactly full of people on hover cars in Inu Yasha costumes...

EDIT: One more thing, I just thought it was amusing that they mentioned "androgynous bodies" right next to the most muscular and manly looking guys.
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Bubbles? Bubbles fill Tokyo? I'm so there!

They obviously been looking at that JapanStreets (or whatever) site a little too long.
keichi san

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Manga hair gel. Really, what were they doing when the came up with this? I'm just waiting for the portable sweatdrop , popping vein in the head and "be a chibi hairspray" to come out. OH HAPPY DAY!! Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tondog38

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This even sadder than the Japanese line of fingernail paint.

http://www.opi.com/Japanese2.asp
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
keichi san wrote:
I'm just waiting for the portable sweatdrop , popping vein in the head and . . . OH HAPPY DAY!! Razz

Obviously, you were not at Tekkoshocon. I got a sweatdrop AND a vein for only $5. No, seriously.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
its prob regular hair gel they just named it manga hair gel that way people who are into anime/manga will buy their product
keichi san

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not doubting that a bunch of people will, and about the Japanese nail polish; I want to know who came up with the names for each color. The following: "Osaka-to-me-orange", and "Let them eat rice cake"? How and Why. Thats all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
keichi san wrote:
Manga hair gel. Really, what were they doing when the came up with this? I'm just waiting for the portable sweatdrop , popping vein in the head and "be a chibi hairspray" to come out. OH HAPPY DAY!! Razz
Darn, you got the post before me! Razz I was a bit freaked at the thought of seeing someone cosplay Yugi at a convention. At least they could've put clothes on the guy instead of drawing them on.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Aka-san wrote:
OMG. Shocked

What's next red afro's?

It's the next natural step - Ideon did it and they've gotta cover all the bases!
Trident

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:
Wow. This even sadder than the Japanese line of fingernail paint.

http://www.opi.com/Japanese2.asp

Hey. I actually have Kimono'ver Here nail polish. It's quite a nice shade of Rose... too bad they (apparently) don't make it anymore.

Oh, and Kopiikat: I think the only reason we're not all horribly insulted by the stuff is because we find it so blatantly - misinformed, for lack of a better word - that we can't help but laugh at it.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Aka-san wrote:
OMG. Shocked

What's next red afro's?

It's the next natural step - Ideon did it and they've gotta cover all the bases!

Ah hah! Ok! Well, here's my rebuttal:

BL Body Wash!

I'd love to see Garnier put something like this on their line.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
heh somewere in a box in my closet is a bottle of Card Capture Sakura shampoo I found in a asian grocery store.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
heh somewere in a box in my closet is a bottle of Card Capture Sakura shampoo I found in a asian grocery store.
Laughing They have so many different Yu-Gi-Oh! items it surpirses me they haven't come out with the hair gel or something yet. I know I saw a while ago on amazon.com they had a body wash thing and a bar of soap in the shape of Yugi's millenium puzzle. I don't know if it's still there though.

Last edited by .Sy on Sat May 14, 2005 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
keichi san wrote:
Hmm, I'm not doubting that a bunch of people will, and about the Japanese nail polish; I want to know who came up with the names for each color. The following: "Osaka-to-me-orange", and "Let them eat rice cake"? How and Why. Thats all I have to say.

All of OPI's nail polishes have names based on bad puns. With the Japanese ones, they just added Japanese-sounding words in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4