• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Exceptional Quality

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
As much as many seem to view the cancellation of all of these proposed live action anime adaptations as a dodged bullet, I'm pretty disappointed that none of them ever made it off the ground, especially Evangelion.

They're still making that one, but they changed the name to Pacific Rim Laughing If that movie does well then I would say Hollywood has more success when they remake anime/Japanese cinema but change the names to titles like Inception, Black Swan, and Hunger Games. Wink

Pacific Rim, while clearly anime inspired, does not make me think "Evangelion". There are like a half-dozen robot shows its more like.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
As much as many seem to view the cancellation of all of these proposed live action anime adaptations as a dodged bullet, I'm pretty disappointed that none of them ever made it off the ground, especially Evangelion.

They're still making that one, but they changed the name to Pacific Rim Laughing If that movie does well then I would say Hollywood has more success when they remake anime/Japanese cinema but change the names to titles like Inception, Black Swan, and Hunger Games. Wink

To claim that that Pacific Rim ripped off Evangelion simply based on a fact that there are giant robots that fight monsters is really "interesting".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

To claim that that Pacific Rim ripped off Evangelion simply based on a fact that there are giant robots that fight monsters is really "interesting".

Demonstrates the person in question doesn't know much about giant robot shows, thats for sure.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
They're still making that one, but they changed the name to Pacific Rim :lol: If that movie does well then I would say Hollywood has more success when they remake anime/Japanese cinema but change the names to titles like Inception, Black Swan, and Hunger Games. :wink:

Even if Chris Nolan admitted to being inspired by Satoshi Kon's adaptation of Paprika during the production of Inception, also keep in mind that he had first pitched Inception to Warner Bros. in 2001, a good five years before the Satoshi Kon film. Darren Aronofsky had always been interested in ballet, and he developed Black Swan from an unproduced screenplay about understudies, taking influence from Roman Polanski and Fyodor Dostoyevsky along the way; it is doubtful if he's even heard of Princess Tutu, much less watched it. Finally, Suzanne Collins hadn't even heard of Battle Royale until just after she had submitted The Hunger Games for publication.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
lostrune wrote:

Even if Chris Nolan admitted to being inspired by Satoshi Kon's adaptation of Paprika during the production of Inception, also keep in mind that he had first pitched Inception to Warner Bros. in 2001, a good five years before the Satoshi Kon film. Darren Aronofsky had always been interested in ballet, and he developed Black Swan from an unproduced screenplay about understudies, taking influence from Roman Polanski and Fyodor Dostoyevsky along the way; it is doubtful if he's even heard of Princess Tutu, much less watched it. Finally, Suzanne Collins hadn't even heard of Battle Royale until just after she had submitted The Hunger Games for publication.

No, everything that shares story elements with an anime is a ripoff. Hollywood is a corrupt place that wants to steal all the anime ideas and give no credit, instead claiming the glory for themselves. We must rise up against our west coast oppressors and shout to the heavens "EASTERN SUPERIORITY!!"
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Darren Aronofsky had always been interested in ballet, and he developed Black Swan from an unproduced screenplay about understudies, taking influence from Roman Polanski and Fyodor Dostoyevsky along the way; it is doubtful if he's even heard of Princess Tutu, much less watched it.

I thought Black Swan was claimed to have ripped off Perfect Blue, not Princess Tutu.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Darren Aronofsky had always been interested in ballet, and he developed Black Swan from an unproduced screenplay about understudies, taking influence from Roman Polanski and Fyodor Dostoyevsky along the way; it is doubtful if he's even heard of Princess Tutu, much less watched it.

I thought Black Swan was claimed to have ripped off Perfect Blue, not Princess Tutu.

Most of the stuff I've read about Black Swan tends to bring up Princess Tutu as opposed to Perfect Blue. Just goes to show that I've been hanging out in the wrong circles.

In any case, after doing a bit more research on that subject, turns out that Aronofsky explicitly denied that Perfect Blue was an influence on Black Swan. Any way you cut it, that was his baby and his alone.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
And Lance Armstrong explicitly denied taking performance-enhancing drugs.

Look, I'm not saying or even implying that Black Swan ripped off Perfect Blue. I haven't even watched Black Swan (though I do own it), so I'm not going to make that sort of accusation. But I do want to point out that just because someone denied something does not make that accusation false. Just because Darren Aronofsky denied that Perfect Blue was an influence does not mean he's automatically telling the truth.

Now, I am inclined to think that he's telling the truth, just because. However, we ultimately have to rely on the evidence - what is actually in the two movies - over what people said. So when I eventually watch Black Swan I will be looking out for anything that looks similar to Perfect Blue.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
lostrune wrote:

No, everything that shares story elements with an anime is a ripoff. Hollywood is a corrupt place that wants to steal all the anime ideas and give no credit, instead claiming the glory for themselves. We must rise up against our west coast oppressors and shout to the heavens "EASTERN SUPERIORITY!!"
I love it when you take the piss. Laughing
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

Princess Tutu? Probably not. Perfect Blue? You bet your ass he was familiar with it - he bought the rights from the producers to re-make it as a Hollywood film, which kind of ends any debate on whether or not Aaronofsky is a fan of Satoshi Kon (if not anime in general). And as for it being "his baby"... well, if you've seen both, the connections are pretty damn obvious. If you don't mind spoilers, the above link covers the bigger, bolder connections, but there's so damn many I'd waste everyone's time delivering a giant, tagged list.

Yes, Aaronofsky works in ideas from other film makers (Cronenberg and Polanski in particular), and the shift from the world of pop-stardom to the "classic" realm of ballet carries with it a number of inert changes. But there's a LOT of little things that pile up into this, being Aaronofsky finally cashing in those remake rights, even if he's twisted and re-written the concept beyond immediate recognition. Think of it this way; Black Swan is a remake of Perfect Blue in the same way that Reservoir Dogs was a remake of City on Fire. Both films have their own unique, distinct identity, but they're so indebted to that which inspired it that you can't ignore the connections once you see them.

...and yeah, for what it's worth, Pacific Rim strikes me much more as closer in tone to Mazinger or Gaiking, the retro 70s "Super Robot" shows with a modern aesthetic.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
When I watched Black Swan I saw far more in common with All About Eve then I did with Perfect Blue. I guess that means based on some peoples standereds that means Sadayuki Murai ripped off Joseph Mankiewicz and is a hack. While we are at it Battle Royale has a lot in common with some late 70's early 80's work by Stephen King, which have some things in common with some works by Richard Connell who worked in the early 20's. I'm sure I could trace this back to the origin of the written word if I had the interest or the time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Think of it this way; Black Swan is a remake of Perfect Blue in the same way that Reservoir Dogs was a remake of City on Fire. Both films have their own unique, distinct identity, but they're so indebted to that which inspired it that you can't ignore the connections once you see them.

...and yeah, for what it's worth, PACIFIC RIM strikes me much more as closer in tone to Mazinger or Gaiking, the retro 70s "Super Robot" shows with a modern aesthetic.

And Tarantino will never admit that he more or less plagiarized another work, despite having been called out on it several times, and those call-outers even having discrediting remarks lobbed at them.

Pacific Rim looks like Del Toro's way of incorporating Lovecraftian monsters, now called kaijuu, against giant robots. They're not in the same breed of Godzilla "we did it to ourselves" monsters, given that the film seems to imply they're coming here through some portal under the ocean. Though, Lovecraftian themes of fear and the unknown don't work when the audience knows what to expect, and have come to enjoy expecting giant horrible monsters. I'm hoping the film will be a bit deeper than "monsters are bad, fight em with robats" like Michael Bay would deliver.

jsieczkar wrote:
When I watched Black Swan I saw far more in common with All About Eve then I did with Perfect Blue. I guess that means based on some peoples standereds that means Sadayuki Murai ripped off Joseph Mankiewicz and is a hack. While we are at it Battle Royale has a lot in common with some late 70's early 80's work by Stephen King, which have some things in common with some works by Richard Connell who worked in the early 20's. I'm sure I could trace this back to the origin of the written word if I had the interest or the time.

Of course they all work back to the Most Dangerous Game, but the specifics are notable: kids are chosen to compete to the death, because society is somehow broken down and less than what it used to be. That's not the same as a psychopath who enjoys the sport of hunting man, animals are not cunning enough to offer true challenge. That's what makes something like Predator quite different from Battle Royale.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kakugo wrote:
Think of it this way; Black Swan is a remake of Perfect Blue in the same way that Reservoir Dogs was a remake of City on Fire. Both films have their own unique, distinct identity, but they're so indebted to that which inspired it that you can't ignore the connections once you see them.

...and yeah, for what it's worth, PACIFIC RIM strikes me much more as closer in tone to Mazinger or Gaiking, the retro 70s "Super Robot" shows with a modern aesthetic.

And Tarantino will never admit that he more or less plagiarized another work, despite having been called out on it several times, and those call-outers even having discrediting remarks lobbed at them.

Pacific Rim looks like Del Toro's way of incorporating Lovecraftian monsters, now called kaijuu, against giant robots. They're not in the same breed of Godzilla "we did it to ourselves" monsters, given that the film seems to imply they're coming here through some portal under the ocean. Though, Lovecraftian themes of fear and the unknown don't work when the audience knows what to expect, and have come to enjoy expecting giant horrible monsters. I'm hoping the film will be a bit deeper than "monsters are bad, fight em with robats" like Michael Bay would deliver.

jsieczkar wrote:

Of course they all work back to the Most Dangerous Game, but the specifics are notable: kids are chosen to compete to the death, because society is somehow broken down and less than what it used to be. That's not the same as a psychopath who enjoys the sport of hunting man, animals are not cunning enough to offer true challenge. That's what makes something like Predator quite different from Battle Royale.

Kids being chosen to compete to the death is not that notable, it has been done before in The Long Walk, plus others. Koushun Takami has said that his work was inspired by The Long Walk and the Running Man which oddly Suzanne Collins also has publicly said she was influenced by those two books.

With the number of movies, books, plays, musicals, real life tales no matter what you do you are going to have something similar to someone else. Heck South Park made fun of this fact when Professor Chaos tries to take over the world in an original way but he is unable to come up with anything that hasn't been done on the Simpsons.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Somebody besides me, the two guys still working at AnimEigo, and the one guy maticulously archiving Usenet conversations from more than twenty years ago still remember Bubblegum Crisis?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Somebody besides me, the two guys still working at AnimEigo, and the one guy maticulously archiving Usenet conversations from more than twenty years ago still remember Bubblegum Crisis?

It has a BD release (accessibility in this HD era) and was an initially popular title in the West. That aside, it will always be somewhere along the line of GitS and AKIRA recommendation lists, someone asking for cyberpunk or future cities like those two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4