• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Dragon Ball Z in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, looks like Funimation start off a good 2011 year with this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I'm glad they're streaming DBZ, not just *gulp* Kai! (Ugh!) But this should turn out very interesting (about time too). I wonder if this'll be on Toonzaki.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the dub will have the Japanese music or Falconer's track
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
It should be subtitle-only (for Z) so they can phase out that terrible English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's about time. But I'll wait on the Dragon Box releases. If they decide to simulcast Kai, I'll watch it. But I'm more interested in Dragon Ball.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It should be subtitle-only (for Z) so they can phase out that terrible English dub.

It should be the same for GT since that dub was just as bad.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Dude it took you over 6 hours to express any beef towards Funimation about this Dragonball-related news. Your're slipping man, what happend?
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Not gonna happen. Wishful thinking can only go so far.

Besides, you have the choice, so why bother those of us that do enjoy it in English?

Moreover, WHICH English dub will it be? The Ocean Group dub, the FUNi dub with the Faulconer BGM, or the FUNi dub w/the original Japanese BGM?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Dude it took you over 6 hours to express any beef towards Funimation about this Dragonball-related news. Your're slipping man, what happend?

Hey, I have other forums to get to. I'm a busy guy.

But kidding aside, it'll probably be the in-house Funimation English version with the Kikuchi score, since they've been slowing phasing out the Faulconer track.

Actually, some of the Nathan Johnson stuff from the UUE redub of seasons 1 and 2 is decent and had me fooled for a while. But I still prefer Kikuchi's bigger, orchestral score. It sounds a little dated at times, with too many horns and spur sounds, but it's so very shonen and creates a more natural feel to the environment. In comparison, Yamamoto's Kai score, while also orchestral, feels a little limited, like he's afraid of going outside the boundaries. Not that I dislike Yamamoto's score, mind you.

I doubt it will be Dragon Box quality video, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Thanks but no thanks, give me Kai instead. I don't get why GT would get so much exposure because that was more or less a failure.

But whatever you do, do NOT give me Evolution, that was doomed from the start.

I am inclined to agree with you on both accounts. DBZ Evolution was doomed from the get go though. I mean seriously, if your going to do a DBZ movie, at least try to follow the manga and attempt to have the actors know the characters slightly. But even then, I am not sure it would have made a difference to be honest.

On one hand, GT was somewhat of a flop, but on another hand, it wasn't too bad. However, given that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had some extremely intense and original battles, eventually it becomes hard too reach a new level of interest and intensity as the last battle was.

But on the positive note, at least DBZ GT ended on a a conclusive and well done note. Sure, there might have been some lose ends, but at least the final battle and the final episode make the series worth finishing.

But this is great news, Dragon Ball Z is a fun series to watch and watch again.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wonder if this'll be on Toonzaki.

What I'm wondering is if this will be on Netflix streaming. At least then it'll really be available in "North America".
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
As a Canadian, I'm not sure I like the fact "Hulu" is even in that press release.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am inclined to agree with you on both accounts. DBZ Evolution was doomed from the get go though. I mean seriously, if your going to do a DBZ movie, at least try to follow the manga and attempt to have the actors know the characters slightly. But even then, I am not sure it would have made a difference to be honest.

I don't want to be that guy, again, but Evolution is a Dragon Ball movie. It didn't try to adapt any storyline you'd see in the "Z" anime, but rather the first anime series, or the first bundle of manga volumes. And for a film that didn't want to use a child actor, but still wanted to be at the beginning, the sagas they chose weren't bad. It's just that their combination of the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao archs lacked in the ability to tell an easily understandable story. Nor were the characters any thing more than just "characters".
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
As a Canadian, I'm not sure I like the fact "Hulu" is even in that press release.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I don't want to be that guy, again, but Evolution is a Dragon Ball movie. It didn't try to adapt any storyline you'd see in the "Z" anime, but rather the first anime series, or the first bundle of manga volumes. And for a film that didn't want to use a child actor, but still wanted to be at the beginning, the sagas they chose weren't bad. It's just that their combination of the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao archs lacked in the ability to tell an easily understandable story. Nor were the characters any thing more than just "characters".

The fact that they announced a movie in the first place makes one cringe. What kind of retard would think 'let's make an American movie of Dragonball!'? And what kind of bigger idiot would say 'Wait and see'?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Source: Twitter

FUNimation wrote:
SorcererLance wrote:
FUNimation wrote:
Don't forget starting this Saturday, January 15th at 7:30 PM CDT Dragon Ball Z will be streaming on http://www.dragonballz.com

so... I'm confused, will it be the Kai episodes, one of the earlier dubs with Japanese music or the Toonami version?

DBZ streaming will be uncut eps akin to orange season sets, ENG-dub w/U.S. broadcast music & ENG-sub w/origin JPN music.

Good news for Bruce Faulconer fans. Too bad they'll have to wait 2 months for the show to start playing that music score. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's good news for dub fans that they get the Faulconer score (well, Nathan Johnson and then Bruce Faulconer). I guess it doesn't matter to me. The Kikuchi score doesn't make the dub any good, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2