• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Worst) of 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:

As for Cross Game. I have a hard time finishing it, although it seems to get better on the second half. In my humble opinion, it would be better without the baseball, which seems to exist just to extend the plot.

Completely agree. The baseball was actually the weakest part of the show, but passable.

@Asimpson - Just curious did you watch Endless 8 on dvd or as it aired? Not trying to cause a debate, just wondering.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:

@Asimpson - Just curious did you watch Endless 8 on dvd or as it aired? Not trying to cause a debate, just wondering.

I watched in DVD, so I think is part of why I do not dislike it. I never watched the MOHS when it firsted aired, I only started watching them when they came out on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Panty and Stocking on the other hand would recieve the "Biggest Fandom Divide award."

I would second this choice, with Mitsudomoe being the honourable runner-up.

The most fervent fans of Seikon no Qwaser were perhaps insufficiency vocal to create the impression of an incommensurable split in interests, and hence this title failed to reach the podium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I own and/or have watched a majority of these shows. Guess that means I have good taste according to the ANN staff!
catstigereye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
the endless eight arc start by watching one and then skip to eight and it's fine. other wise its a waste.
I still own the box set though.
and hope the movie gets a release here.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
the endless eight arc start by watching one and then skip to eight and it's fine. other wise its a waste.
I still own the box set though.
and hope the movie gets a release here.

Might as well throw it out and import. Japanese audio is mono.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Cross Game yet, but from the snippets and reveiws I've read the plot seems a lot like a retread of Touch. How exactly is it different, other than switching the gender of the siblings?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood wasn't on anyone's list..in my humble opinion it was easily the best anime of the year..Angel Beats being a very close second..also Kent Williams current performance as Father in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is absolutely riveting..without a doubt he delivered the best English Dub performance of the year.

Guess you weren't paying attention to the Standards heading, then. The first two-thirds of Brotherhood streamed legally in 2009, so that part can't count as a 2009 series even if I were inclined to put it above any of the five titles I mentioned. (And while I'll admit that the 30-odd episodes I've seen so far have been good, it is not quite at the writing level that the other five are.) Angel Beats is not a 2010 in America release, so it can't count.

And the performance of Father as "best of year?" Really? I can think of a half-dozen male performances in that series alone that I'd put ahead of that fairly bland effort.

The RPG thing, BTW, is our own private joke. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I wondered if that was the case. The game sounded suspiciously close to the one in OreImo that the gang play at Comicon.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Guess you weren't paying attention to the Standards heading, then. The first two-thirds of Brotherhood streamed legally in 2009, so that part can't count as a 2009 series even if I were inclined to put it above any of the five titles I mentioned.
Not that I actually think FMA:B deserves any awards, but I wanted to point out the inconsistancy between what you just said and the Standards that were posted.

Quote:
In general, only content which saw an official, widespread release in the U.S. market during 2010 – whether on TV, in movie theaters, on DVD, or via legal downloads or streaming video – is eligible for consideration here; titles which have only officially been shown at conventions or in a handful of theaters, or which are rereleases, do not count as a 2010 title unless that rerelease offers a new feature, such as a new or added-on English dub.

Those parts right there, makes FMA:B eligible, at least the first 39 episodes, since Part 01, 02, & 03 were all released during 2010, which included an English dub, plus eps. 1-26 both aired on TV and streamed in dub format during 2010 as well.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Those parts right there, makes FMA:B eligible, at least the first 39 episodes, since Part 01, 02, & 03 were all released during 2010, which included an English dub, plus eps. 1-26 both aired on TV and streamed in dub format during 2010 as well.

And I figured that would confuse some, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it without being cumbersome.

To be clear, the English dub can be considered since it was new this year. The story content, however, was not and so isn't eligible.

And believe me, it pains me to have to stick to my own rule on this case; see the note in the Best Death Scene about this, but it also applies to the Best Closer. ("Let it out" from FMA:B was going to be my runner-up pick until I realized that all of the episodes using it debuted streaming in 2009.)
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Living for the Day After Tomorrow was really the surprise of the year for me. Just by reading the short description I would have completely passed it up, but I got bored one day and decided to watch a couple episode on the anime network. It turned out to be excellent.

While I mostly agree with both Theron and Carl's picks, I think I have to toss Birdy the Mighty: Decode in there as a contender for Best Series of 2010. I thought it was one of the best things I've seen in years. The story was excellent, the characters were great, the animation was fantastic, and it was one of the few shows that I've actually marathoned in a long time. It's just too bad it did so poorly in Japan, and as far as I can tell it isn't very popular here either.

Totally agree I had to marathon it as well and couldn't stop. I wasn't too excited about the first season it wasn't until the second that I fell in love with it. So I can see why it may not have been a top pick. Really it did that bad in Japan? That's a real shame I was hoping for a third season as it was left open for one.

I think the kiss scene in Birdy's last episode deserves honorable mention behind Xam'd.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood wasn't on anyone's list..in my humble opinion it was easily the best anime of the year..Angel Beats being a very close second..also Kent Williams current performance as Father in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is absolutely riveting..without a doubt he delivered the best English Dub performance of the year.

Guess you weren't paying attention to the Standards heading, then. The first two-thirds of Brotherhood streamed legally in 2009, so that part can't count as a 2009 series even if I were inclined to put it above any of the five titles I mentioned. (And while I'll admit that the 30-odd episodes I've seen so far have been good, it is not quite at the writing level that the other five are.) Angel Beats is not a 2010 in America release, so it can't count.

And the performance of Father as "best of year?" Really? I can think of a half-dozen male performances in that series alone that I'd put ahead of that fairly bland effort.

The writing for Brotherhood is most definitely up to par with the other five choices..its a very well made script..Intelligently written, expertly acted and directed..its a top notch blockbuster with substance.Bland Effort?Kent Williams as Father is strongly convincing and incredibly powerful..his performance blew me away..I suppose it comes down to personal taste..but for me Kent Williams was easily the best this year..the man is very underrated.
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. Self-Destruct Award: Demon King Daimao

Nuff said

Try if you may. You will never find such an anime more deserving of a single reward as this one. Not. even. close.
cake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
I was surprised with Eden of the East being the best of the year, no body mentions "Futuristic Imagination" as one of the best closing. The song itself is class but the best part is the animation, with some very clever art direction to retell the theme of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5