• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Acquires Zatoichi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool, now I know they can get GTO live action if they wanted to. It's just a matter of time now...

By the way, is this Zatoichi series any good? I haven't seen any of the movies, but the premise sounds intersting enough.
akitainu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the TV series, but the movies are pretty good. I've seen most of them. Shintaro Katsu is great in the lead role. If you have access to IFC, they have been playing the Zatoichi movies every Saturday for the last several months.
Magus Darkstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be supporting this on the sole notion of GETTING MORE LIVE ACTION TV SHOWS RELEASED IN THE US

HELL YEAH
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:45 am Reply with quote
I've seen a few of the movies on IFC and they're very good. There's a connection between the Zatoichi films and the 1989 Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury. Ryozo Kasahara who wrote some of the Zatoichi screenplays also wrote an early screenplay for Blind Fury.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Cool, now I know they can get GTO live action if they wanted to. It's just a matter of time now...

By the way, is this Zatoichi series any good? I haven't seen any of the movies, but the premise sounds intersting enough.

Media Blasters does have the GTO live action movie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Meh, I've already seen the movie and it stunk. It totally removes the familiar elements that surround Onizuka in the TV series and special and basically throws him into another enviroment that isn't even a quarter of what he had back in the city.

It's disappointing both as a "sequel" and as a stand alone movie. I feel bad that Takashi Sorimachi had to be in it, as "great" as his performance was in terms of carrying over from the series..
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Meh, I've already seen the movie and it stunk. It totally removes the familiar elements that surround Onizuka in the TV series and special and basically throws him into another enviroment that isn't even a quarter of what he had back in the city.

It's disappointing both as a "sequel" and as a stand alone movie. I feel bad that Takashi Sorimachi had to be in it, as "great" as his performance was in terms of carrying over from the series..

I gotta agree with Tony here. Compared to the live action GTO series, the movie really pales in comparison. It doesn't have nearly any of the same characterization and scripting, and it really takes out a lot of the "GTO flair." I'd be really pleased if companies started bringing out more j-doramas. Though... I suppose I'm not too sure it'd be a wise marketing move. I mean, how many copies of a random j-dorama could someone feasibly sell to make it worthwhile...? ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1