• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I may not be watching EVERYTHING...

...but I'm damn close. Right now, I am following 13 of the Winter shows and although I haven't had a chance to check out Fractale or Wandering Son yet, I suspect they will bump my total up to 15 Winter shows. Plus I'm still following three of the 2010 Fall shows (Star Driver, Index II and Letter Bee Reverse) PLUS my ongoing commitment to Fairy Tail. That means I'll be keeping up with 19 currently airing shows.

That sounds like a lot (and it is) but it amounts to a little under 7 hours of viewing per week. That's about an hour a day. Very doable for a "has no life" dude like myself.

That's a lot on your plate. Right now it's 4 currently airing for me(IS, Acid Magical Girl show, Mitsudomoe 2, Incest show) three shows I have yet to watch that I may follow (Freezing, Dragon Crisis!, Rio) and one potential drop (Kore wa Zombie desu ka). I also have a series I am watching on DVD along with stuff that I am reviewing on the side (nothing at the moment).

I also have three shows from the previous season to watch again and finish (P&S, MM!, and Yousga no Sora or what ever it's called). I also have my pile of shame to get to along with rewatches as well.

So yea my winter looks to be quite busy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I can't believe that Hourou Musuko jumped to volume five.

Seriously, between this and the delay of the manga that Amazon informed me of, I'm really disappointed.

Not that the middle school material was bad, but the first four volumes were really well done as well and shouldn't have been skipped.

Still loved it, but its not 5/5 now. Its 4.75 tho. Very Happy

(I so wish that people would have bought Aoi Hana though. Hourou is nice, but Aoi Hana is magnificent.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Starting watching Fractale, remembered why I hate Funimation's player (did everybody else get the horizontal stripes due to poor interlacing?), and will finish it when it comes out on hulu.

It's on their Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwcYIIX_eM
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first ep of "Wandering Son" on CR. Very impressed with the sensitivity and direction the show has taken for a subject matter many may find disconcerting. I haven't read the manga but judging from others' posts I should. Looking forward to this anime run.....thank you CR for availing this gem to the R1 audience.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
You didn't like the animation style? Or did you just not like the visual style choice/color pallette? I realize I'm being nitpicky here (sorry!), but that's because I thought the animation was really quite nice here. There were a lot of interesting, subtle touches (like when Shuu's wig became lopsided at the interesection).

Yeah, that's nitpicky. Are we really going to split those hairs when it was clear what I meant? Yes, the "animation" was nice, everything moved fluidly, etc. But the art as it was interpreted in the anime vs as it was in the manga -- the animated version of the manga art -- I am not crazy about. The fluorescent glow on every character was aggravating. I've compared it before to saran wrap, and that evaluation still stands. All the other nice subtle touches are from the manga, and the animators' don't get credit for them save that they did not cut them.

Meanwhile....

Definition failure, Carl. They're transexual, not homosexual.

And wow, Zac did not like Fractale. I was just about to settle down and watch it. Zac, would it change your perspective at all to read the piece Brian Ruh wrote on the creator of the story? I'm curious about it for that major reason.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I thought Carl was using homosexual in reference to Aoi Hana, not Wandering Son. And I thought they were transgender?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Meanwhile....

And wow, Zac did not like Fractale. I was just about to settle down and watch it. Zac, would it change your perspective at all to read the piece Brian Ruh wrote on the creator of the story? I'm curious about it for that major reason.

I realize my job title is a little obscure and not many people really understand what my chief duty is here but yes, I've read that article, I have to before I publish it. I have to read over every single piece of editorial that gets published here. There is nothing in the blue column I have not gone over at least twice (most publications have at least 2 of me, in fact! or at least they used to before the internet sucked all the money out of publishing).

The article actually gave me somewhat loftier expectations for it, and if anything it's very clear that they weren't going to really get in to all that stuff in this first episode. It's an OK magical girlfriend show right now, and that's it. I didn't hate it but aside from some pleasant visuals and music it gave me nothing else. I'll probably wait until another 4 or 5 episodes are out and then start watching it to see if any of the stuff Brian talks about pop up.

And yeah Carl was explicitly referring to Aoi Hana when he mentioned homosexuality.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
looks like Level E, Wandering Son, and maybe Fractale are the only things worth watching this season. well it may only be 3 shows out of (?) but for anime thats not bad! besides who has the time for 20 good shows? NO ONE!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
I thought Carl was using homosexual in reference to Aoi Hana, not Wandering Son. And I thought they were transgender?

Apparently after a day of working late I am too tired to read properly. Anime hyper

@Zac
I didn't know you read everything, actually. I assumed you had underlings. You must have quite a workload!

Edit: Actually, read it > had higher expectations > got disappointed was one of the answers I thought you might give.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to Fractale and Zac's reviews, this was probably the best we could hope for.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
When it comes to Fractale and Zac's reviews, this was probably the best we could hope for.

What does that mean??
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

What does that mean??

I mean, this has been, thus far, the only review he's given that isn't overly positive/negative. In all purposes, this is probably his most normal review ever.
Stevetonemaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not like the fractal zoom intro is going to make you say 'Oh! Aranofsky! Gaspar Noé? Greg Bear in the hanger credits?' but it's clear it's kind of after a singularity, backup rituals (staring at local temples in the sky) still suck, and the mystery girl (who doesn't look like Obi-and-Camisole here in this ad) is risking these very decent watercolor B/G for a CGI tableau if enough cracks appear in the VM. Go plotka!

Thanks for a nice ep. Funimation! The player went fine once I cued a bit past the OP, but I didn't see any case in the shop for Windows Media Player (or mention of iTunes, really) or MSIE(n). I used Opera and was shown exactly 1 title with an 18+ auth. blocking its cover art. Fix For The Win (or hey, just bundle extra merch or game-related (inventory slots!) matter.)

Wandering Son's pacing's funny. It could pan out to some effect, though. Sorry if that's a pun, but it would be nice to have a middle distance from One Piece to The Cat Returns (at 3x cue.)

@sonickid101: Yes, you're probably selective beyond 'good' though. And when you put the nanites in, you'll want to play 7 podcasts at a time and need Milky Rio Holmes to choreograph some of the weird dreams.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
You didn't like the animation style? Or did you just not like the visual style choice/color pallette? I realize I'm being nitpicky here (sorry!), but that's because I thought the animation was really quite nice here. There were a lot of interesting, subtle touches (like when Shuu's wig became lopsided at the interesection).

Yeah, that's nitpicky. Are we really going to split those hairs when it was clear what I meant?

No, that`s not nitpicky. If a show`s *art* or *design* rubs you the wrong way, then, for the sake of clarity, call it art and/or design in the first place and not "animation" or "animation style" which is used for the way how motion is created.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
I think that the preview guides need some new writers. Preferably less bored and jaded ones. For the most part, they feel way too out of touch with the average fan, and with little exception, and there's not nearly enough variation between different writer's opinions. ~o~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 30