• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Last Exodus?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
This sounds like every other attempt by American recording companies to bring over a famous Japanese artist. Instead of trying to put them on equal footing with other American pop artists, they decide to handicap them with the "Japanese" tag. There is no reason that someone like Hikaru Utada or Maaya Sakamoto from being relatively famous over here, other than the stigma of them being JPoppers first and foremost.

jay saenz wrote:
Hikki is japanese, she might have been born in NYC, but she was raised as a japanese, and her natural singing is in japanese, not english. So, perhaps, she might quit this attemp to be "american" and stay loyal to her singing work in job in Japan. If Hikki wants to break in the American market, she might try to take advantage of the japanese background instead of been ashamed of it.

Two ideas: focus less on her Japanese background, and focus more on it. I don't think either is the answer. The real problem is that Utada (or whoever is making the critical decisions) is not embracing Utada, wherever in the culture spectrum she may fall. Without a strong sense of one's self, it's very easy to get lost in the entertainment world (see: Chappelle). She needs to find that anchor again.
kezoi13

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I have e-mailed island records and complained and told them to just do something else besides trying to revive the album. I explained how her album just wasn't good and that she should create a new albuma nd listen to the fans. I suggest everyone else does if we ever wanna see some decent english music from her ever again.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
kezoi13 wrote:
I have e-mailed island records and complained and told them to just do something else besides trying to revive the album.

This was a one-album contract from the start. I doubt we'll ever see that "something else."
Beruda

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this was a terrible cd but I was disapointed. It's not nearly as good as her other releases. Actually I really like Exodus 04' I think she is speaking about her feelings taking this step. I also think it would be a good idea for her to release some of her previous songs in english. They sound like top 40 radio anyway. They could release one song and see what happens, what have they got to loose.

It seems like her handlers are to worried about the fact that she's japanese. They probably don't want any association with anime cause they think she won't be taken seriously. But I think it would have been a good idea for her to perform at one of the conventions like Bonnie Pink and others have done. This way more of her fans would get to see her. The important thing is to get publicity and get her name out there.

Well even if she dosen't have huge sucess over here it's not like her career is over or anything. Cool
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I was disapointed with this new CD, also. Nothing on there that can compare to my favorite songs by her. I know she's still got it - The theme songs for Casshern and Kingdom Hearts are both great and not too old. But I don't think she'll ever really hit it big in the US. All the popular songstresses now are sex-crazed teen-agers, anyways. Besides, it's not like she was made to hit in America, like the Mongolian Chop Squad.
kezoi13

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Honestly...The only songs I could stomach were "Exodus '04", "Devil Inside", and "Easy Breezy". The rest were just...yeah. I do like her Japanese songs lke "Automatic" and "First Love". I haven't heard all of her songs, but can anyone reccomend some good one's to listen to? I'm open to anything (clearly since I'm listening to Japanese music anyway).
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
kezoi13 wrote:
I haven't heard all of her songs, but can anyone reccomend some good one's to listen to? I'm open to anything (clearly since I'm listening to Japanese music anyway).

Utada Hikaru in Budokan 2004 is amazing.

Here's the track list. They're all worth a listen.

1. Hikari
2. traveling
3. Letters
4. Another Chance
5. In My Room
6. Can You Keep A Secret?
7. Addicted To You [UP-IN-HEAVEN MIX]
8. SAKURA Drops
9. Sunglass
10. Amai Wana - Paint It, Black
11. Movin' on without You
12. Kettobase!
13. Wait & See - Risk
14. COLORS
15. First Love
16. Deep River
17. DISTANCE
18. Uso mitaina I Love You
19. Automatic
20. Shiawase ni narou
21. B&C

Someday I'll review the thing...but I know it's gonna be a 3000-word monster.
Geoffrey No Jutsu

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
yeah, i dunno...this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. fact of the matter is, Hikki isn't successful because she's a pop-star trying to win over indie and college kids with some trip-hop-meets-club-pop sound that is just coming off as unnatural. just because artists that are big here can be even bigger in japan, doesn't mean that it's a mirrored situation when massively successful artists such as herself try to cross-over. her voice isn't that great, the music is less than great, and she was marketed to consumers that look to the opposite side of the continent for their music. i guarantee if she would have re-worked something like Hikari in english, and given it a more urban flair, made a sexy video, and done some real pop-star activity, she would have had at least a little spot on TV and her song would have been played. i'm not worried for her, though. She's probably got more money than anyone that i know would ever know how to spend, and this will probably go unnoticed in Japan. i don't mean to come off as a jerk, but think about it...really.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Geoffrey No Jutsu wrote:
this will probably go unnoticed in Japan.

Actually, it's quite the opposite.

I dug some more into this story and found a lot of surprising stuff. Keep an eye out for a new column on Tuesday.
animefan1977

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Exodus flopped because Island Def Jam never really tried. They thought that she would go into the studio and do an english version of the music she did in Japan. She had almost total control producing this album. She has said in interviews that she felt the Japanese music business stifled her a bit. So when she came here she let loose and experimented. Island was probably caught off guard, but instead of telling her to go back to the drawing board they went with it. I will not be surprised if her future Japanese language stuff sounds somewhat Exodus-like.
Funny thing is that even though the public didn't latch on to it, the critics tended to like it. I think that if the first single would have been Exodus 04 that maybe the album would have done better.

Who knows? I am not really worried about it. It was probably more of an experiment than anything else. I am sure that she is gonna continue to release stuff over in Japan. Maybe she will try again over here someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2