• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Delays Payments as Execs Depart; B&N Sales Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I buy a lot of manga at Borders but that because of the coupons they give out I dont think there there belly up any time soon
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Again, I don't understand. Borders are always so crowded where I live.

We have a Barnes and Nobles as well, but I prefer Borders. It is a larger store. I don't want to see it go. That's all I need is to have to order manga online as well. =/
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

This is the very same reason why a B&N store in my state closed. It was always, always crowded

...full of people not buying anything.

But this is the culture B&N, Borders and chains like it have fostered; an atmosphere where they encouraged the customer to hang out, page through their merchandise for several hours and leave without buying a thing except [maybe] a cup of coffee.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

This is the very same reason why a B&N store in my state closed. It was always, always crowded

Except at mine there are always long lines for purchasing.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Except at mine there are always long lines for purchasing.

Having long lines doesn't mean anything. You have to think about how much each individual is buying. If all those people are buying only one book that isn't enough money for payroll. If these people are buying 3+ books that's where the business is made. I know a couple years ago barnes and noble was very close to buying borders but pulled out once the recession took a turn for the worst. It makes me wonder what position borders would be in now if it did become a part of barnes and noble.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The Borders nearest to me is closing its doors in three days. Sad Their rent went up and they couldn't pay the new amount.

I have supported Borders for years (buying hundreds of dollars' worth of manga and other books at their stores each year). I am genuinely concerned that this is the end for the Borders chain.

I am thinking of getting a Kindle and getting into ebooks, but - it's not going to be the same as physical books. (Especially not for manga - which is visual and graphic and it won't look the same reading it on a screen...)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, RACS treats books with the same care they give to DVDs or figures. I'v never had damage on anything from them. They try to stock all the available manga titles.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I buy all of my manga from Borders, I am a Borders Rewards member and get many good coupons from them. The closest bookstore to me is Borders. I support Borders, however I have no problem with Barnes and Noble. I shop there every once in awhile, that's where I get my classic works of literature from (they have their own line of Classic Literature, I'm thinking of getting that second volumes of Sherlock Holmes soon). I tend to err toward Borders because their membership is free and they are closer to where I live. Manga-wise, both Borders and Barnes & Noble have cut back on manga, at least where I live. So selection has nothing to do with it. I just like the program and the location, and I've found Borders to be tranquil. However, it does annoy me some that Borders puts those stickers on the back. Rolling Eyes Barnes & Noble is okay, and so is Borders. I don't think Borders is going under, they may just be in a rut and should pull out of it. Maybe they just made some mistakes. They'll get through it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
It certainly would sadden me if the Borders near me closed up shop. I currently have some 1700 manga, and I'd say at least 1500 of them were bought at Borders over the course of the last 5 or 6 years that I've gotten into manga. So, most any employee that's been there longer than a few months knows me quite well. It was like that with Suncoast though, and they still went belly up. I have no problem buying my stuff online, and I realize I can get it a bit cheaper, but I just really like to be able to look at some stuff before I buy, especially if it's something new. There have been a lot of series that I got into simply because I was able to pick up the book and look at a few pages (you hear that manga cows? A few pages, not the whole damn thing) I just feel like I'd probably miss out on some good stuff if I had to rely on just buying online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2