• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay: Panty & Stocking's Stocking

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Not bad. Not bad at all.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
cute! she was great w/ the outfit Very Happy
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
DAMN!

*Nose bleeds*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm, not as good as yesterday's, as I've seen better P&S cosplayers.

Jack Jo wrote:
Canon EOS 1D Mark3 / EF85 F1.2L

Those two cost more than all my photographic equipments combined. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ah, so cute! Embarassed
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but can we have some comments other than "cute / sweet / awwww / good / cool / blah blah blah"? I hope we can see more replies like this one, instead of just one-liners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
No offense, but can we have some comments other than "cute / sweet / awwww / good / cool / blah blah blah"?

I think that's better than coming in here with nothing good to say about the cosplay at all. All you did was put her costume down with nothing constructive to say about it. "I've seen better" is no better than "How cute!" at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I think that's better than coming in here with nothing good to say about the cosplay at all. All you did was put her costume down with nothing constructive to say about it. "I've seen better" is no better than "How cute!" at that point.

Okaaaaaaaay. Now you got me started. Twisted Evil

1. She needs to cover the spots on her right leg with some cosmetics, or the photographer should remove them by post-production i.e. photoshopping.

2. The long sock on her left leg should be tightened near the ankle.

3. The angle of her sock-turned-samurai-sword was too horizontal and difficult to identify if you've never watched the series. Better turn it a little to show the profile of the sword. The photographer should give her instructions if the cosplayer was too shy or nervous.

4. Assuming the cosplayer is about 1.6m tall, then the long side of the photograph is roughly 2.5m in reality. Given that the 85/1.2L is fitted on the EOS 1 Mark III with APS-H sensor (crop factor 1.3), the field of view (long side) is 18.5 degrees. Using basic trigonometry we can deduct the distance between the photographer and the cosplayer was (2.5 / 2) / (tan (18.5° / 2)) = 7.675 m, which was unnecessarily long, resulting too much space above cosplayer's head. The leaves on the ground is much better as a background filler than the artificial forest; move the frame a few degrees down to take more fallen leaves rather than tree branches.

That camera and lens alone cost five months of my salary, not including external flash, filters, reflector boards (it's evident that at least one board was in place), or even portable studio lightings with power sources. For that investment I'd say there's still room for improvements.

Happy now? Twisted Evil
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
Now I'm not sure if we're critiquing a cosplay or expecting a professional modeling photoshoot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Now I'm not sure if we're critiquing a cosplay or expecting a professional modeling photoshoot!

No matter how good a cosplaying is, other than witnessing at the site one needs photography to record and distribute the performance. The artistic and technical skills of a good photographer can significantly enhance the aesthetics of cosplayer(s).

There's one more factor needs to be considered: unless the photographer and cosplayer(s) have an appointment, taking pictures at a cosplaying event can be very challenging, as photographers have to compete the best angle and lighting. Sometimes it's so crowd that going in can be hazardous.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I like the picture and the cosplayer's costume. I don't know if that's her real hair dyed funky colors or a wig but I think it's the best hair job I've seen on a cosplayer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1