• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop announces Marmalade Boy anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:52 am Reply with quote
oh god no, not tokyopop!

I only see one slight positive out of this news, and that's the fact that it'll be 6 episodes a DVD.. but i'm sure there'll be a tricked up version which is full of sex and violence and murder..
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, a shoujo romance series like Marmalade Boy is right up Tokyopop's alley. I fully trust them to come out with a well-done, un-altered bilingual DVD for all of the episodes. Of course, only time can tell on that one, but really, if there's something that Tpop has experience doing, it's shoujo.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:59 am Reply with quote
As for what happened with initial D, get over it. Either they were set on releasing it like that in the first place or the fan outcry so to speak will change it. As for Tokyopop, eh, so long as it gets released in its entirety I am not too bothered
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought there were 2 releases of Initual D the regular one and the Special ed one. for the anime that is.

anyway get over it everycompany has fubared a release before.
Im pretty sure TP wont mess up marmalade boy to many old school fans would massacre them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, considering Marmalade Boy has absolutely no mainstream potential, I'm not the slightest bit worried. I'm not even pretending I care one way or the other how they release Initial D, since it's one of those shows that I tried watching at my club for a while, but... meh... so, after a couple of episodes, I decided to walk over to the nearby Renaud-Bray bookstore and look at nude photoboo... erm, French-translated manga whenever it was playing. But I loved all of Marmalade Boy except for the New York arc wherein they made parts of New York look like war-torn Beirut circa 1983 (though, quite handily, all of the police officers seem to speak Japanese).

Come to think of it, if Tokyopop tried to "trick up" the New York segment of the storyline with characters saying "fo' shnizzle" and "bling bling", it could only be an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Do they still only have the license for the first half of the series, or did they finally get the whole thing? I'll believe they're finally releasing it when it actually hits the shelves.
darkinusgurl

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TOKYOPOP releasing Marmalade Boy seems normal since they have the rights to the manga. Just get over it and hope its good! I pray that it comes on one of the channels I can watch(I don't have digital cable) Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Blinks... x_x

why revive a thread that's this old? All of Marmalade Boy has come out in both manga and anime already.

Either way, news this old might only be worth bringing back up in the anime thread in discussing how Tokyopop did with its release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1