• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CW Head: Network Is Not Planning to Remake Battle Royale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Either way, with the poor state of affairs in the US with guns and murders of school kids, I hardly think there will ever be a right time for such a film to see the light of day.

Pretty much this. I think if there's anything standing in the way of this happening more than anything it's the recent events in Newtown. Not to mention the rise of violence in schools in general. If any major studio in the US tried to produce a film or show based on the idea of school children fighting in Gladiatorial combat you can bet the outcry from the public would be swift and severe. Most studios no doubt know this, so even if it's going to happen I wouldn't expect it for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the skinny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The REAL reason why Battle Royale will never get remake...
http://youtu.be/Auwl13CsRN4?t=3m46s
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness! BR is not BR without Takashi Kitano as the villian.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:
To be honest I don't think an America remake is what Battle Royale needs. Taking the characters and story out of their Japanese setting means you are loosing that cultural element that the whole book was about. Yes the book is about kids fighting each other but it's also about governmental issues that I feel don't translate one to one with American issues.
Huh? Although all media is a product of its culture, Battle Royale has a message about adults treating teenagers like **** when only adults are the ones who ****** up the world we have to grow up in. It certainly had a lot of resonance with me and lots of other teens who saw the movies, much like Code Geass does, and there's no way would such a film have been made by Hollywood.

This kind of objection to localisation during remakes reminds me of the Americans planning to Americanise Akira by moving it to America and having the teenage characters played by middle aged men lol. Back then people were ignoring that Akira is a coming-of-age story and whining just because they moved the setting over to Japan, that was as funny as Hollywood considering casting DiCaprio. Laughing

Now, as for the last paragraph in the piece stating that the replacement project will lack the violent edge of Battle Royale, the violent edge they speak of would be perfect social commentary right now but like I said, you won't find it 'made in America' unless its really obscure art-house stuff. If its under the radar, you might find genuinely controversial content from the USA otherwise 'hard hitting' only means shills like Michael Moore and Larry David telling you what to think.

Pussies.

[EDIT: You need to watch the language. A PG-13 level is expected in forums. - Key]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Does the world really need an American version of "Battle Royale?" The honest answer is no,not really. With what happened in Aurora,Colorado and Newtown,Connecticut,I doubt there would be the stomach for such a thing. Hollywood tried once before to do this in 2008 but the Virginia Tech massacre put an end to those plans. I think it's one of the few positive things to come out of those shootings.
As I've said before,I don't really have too many problems with Hollywood remaking stuff. My issue is the quality of the work in question. Despite what the skinny and his Youtube video believes,it's not about Asians having lead roles. It's about "Battle Royale's" incredibly violent content. Hollywood makes enough violent movies on it's own. It doesn't need to remake stuff that's extremely violent.

I don't really see the need to do a remake of "Battle Royale." It's too violent,and it's really unnecessary and would cause too much controversy. It's better to leave it alone and find another property to work on. America and the rest of the world doesn't need a Hollywood remake of "Battle Royale." I just don't see the need for it.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
2013, year of cancellations due to sensitive crap.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Does the world really need an American version of "Battle Royale?" The honest answer is no,not really. With what happened in Aurora,Colorado and Newtown,Connecticut,I doubt there would be the stomach for such a thing. Hollywood tried once before to do this in 2008 but the Virginia Tech massacre put an end to those plans. I think it's one of the few positive things to come out of those shootings.
As I've said before,I don't really have too many problems with Hollywood remaking stuff. My issue is the quality of the work in question. Despite what the skinny and his Youtube video believes,it's not about Asians having lead roles. It's about "Battle Royale's" incredibly violent content. Hollywood makes enough violent movies on it's own. It doesn't need to remake stuff that's extremely violent.

I don't really see the need to do a remake of "Battle Royale." It's too violent,and it's really unnecessary and would cause too much controversy. It's better to leave it alone and find another property to work on. America and the rest of the world doesn't need a Hollywood remake of "Battle Royale." I just don't see the need for it.
Snomaster, if the first thing you think about BR is the violence you're missing the point. The nature of the content is why this film is actually more relevant to America's social problems than it ever was to Japan's.

That's why films like that are powerful - they touch issues no one dares touch but that need to be explored before anything can change. It isn't mindless and gratuitous violence, and the danger is that the intelligent, subversive themes would be lost in translation during localisation for a mainstream American/global audience who just want to see an action movie with no threatening ideas in it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Well that and as I said, I don't want HG fans that are not aware of BR to be attacking the American remake of BR thinking it's a rip off HG not knowing about the Japanese original (I met fans of The Departed that aren't even aware of the movie being a remake of Infernal Affairs). Also everytime we do something that look similar to Japanese stuff, anime fans will go after it. There's already BR fans that accused Hunger Games of ripping off Battle Royale. That's why I don't want Battle Royale to be remade not only because of the violence, I don't want anime fans, BR fans, and HG fans to go all out war over rip-off and remakes. This is just like anime fans accused Christopher Nolan of ripping off and plagurizing Paprika when he made Inception despite plot differences and character differences (and despite Japan didn't ban the movie, nor Madhouse didn't put any lawsuit against WB or Chris Nolan). Also I don't think battle Royale remake is not needed, the Hunger Games come close to Battle Royale despite differences, that's why we don't need Perfect Blue remake because Black Swan is probably the closest thing to a Perfect Blue remake, so therefore no Perfect Blue remake is needed(and I believe there is already a live-action Perfect Blue movie in Japan).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
2013, year of cancellations due to sensitive crap.

I remember after 9/11, it was a good two or three years before the more gorey horror movies were shown regularly around Halloween again. Even AMC cut back on the more violent films.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
>_> People would just call it a Battle Royal rip off anyway so this is for the best...

mdo7 wrote:
nor Madhouse didn't put any lawsuit against WB or Chris Nolan).

Lol @ thinking Madhouse has the money to fight against Warner Brothers in court. Doesn't mean it wasn't a rip off.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

Lol @ thinking Madhouse has the money to fight against Warner Brothers in court. Doesn't mean it wasn't a rip off.

I check on the idea of Inception from Chris Nolan. According to Nolan, he came up with Inception way before Paprika was made. He made a 80-page screen treatment and this was after Insomnia and before Batman Begins, and the Paprika novel (which the anime was based on) wasn't translated to English until 2009. If Nolan did plagurize Paprika into Inception, then I would've notice the character in Inception having similarities to Paprika, I didn't see Cobb (Dicaprio's character) looking any similar to Dr. Chiba, and the plot is different from Paprika. Also Madhouse and Sony (who distributed the movie in Japan and US) would have enough money to probably put a lawsuit against WB and Chris Nolan (also I didn't hear Ken Watanabe denouncing the movie for being a rip-off of Paprika) if Inception plagurize Paprika but I don't see that any lawsuit that mean no Plagiarism or copyright infringement has occurred, Japan didn't ban the movie so that means Inception didn't rip off Paprika.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
>_> People would just call it a Battle Royal rip off anyway so this is for the best...

mdo7 wrote:

It's not for about a hundred reasons that have already been fleshed out about thousand times on these forums as is. This thread is not about Nolan or that project so how about we keep it on topic instead of going back down old long dead roads.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
For a long time now,I've heard complaints about Hollywood movies that take inspiration from anime. Now,I don't have a problem with Hollywood doing this but I've often heard about anime fans complaining that because a certain Hollywood film or cartoon resembles a certain anime that automatically means that that property has been plagiarized.
Now,just because Hollywood does something similar to an anime doesn't mean that they stole the idea from it. They might have taken some inspiration from the anime,but that's it. These baseless complaints make other anime fans look petty. Especially if they like Hollywood fare too. The people who throw the plagiarism charge around recklessly ought to have proof of what they're saying and not throw it around willy-nilly.

If they have proof of what they're saying,then they should state it and not make reckless charges without evidence. I like anime but I also like American fare as well and I'm probably not alone. If there's proof of plagiarism from either side,I'd like to hear it. But,I'm not going to make any sort of complaint without proof. For example,if you have proof that "The Hunger Games" is stolen from "Battle Royale,"get your evidence out there,but don't make such a serious charge without evidence. In fact,you might end up sued yourself if you can't back up your claims.
Just because a Hollywood movie or cartoon or an American novel or comic book might resemble a Japanese anime or manga doesn't mean the person stole it or plagiarized it. They may have taken some inspiration from it,but that's about it. If you have proof of plagiarism,than say it,but only if there's proof. If not,then don't complain. Then,it might be you that's sued,for slander.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Do your research. Battle Royale isn't anime, it's a novel, that was adapted into a manga and a live-action movie.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Either way, with the poor state of affairs in the US with guns and murders of school kids, I hardly think there will ever be a right time for such a film to see the light of day.

Pretty much this. I think if there's anything standing in the way of this happening more than anything it's the recent events in Newtown. Not to mention the rise of violence in schools in general. If any major studio in the US tried to produce a film or show based on the idea of school children fighting in Gladiatorial combat you can bet the outcry from the public would be swift and severe. Most studios no doubt know this, so even if it's going to happen I wouldn't expect it for awhile.

School violence has always been the same for a long time now. This is nothing new. People just think it is more because of events like Newtown and Columbine.

If they can do movies like Kick-Ass and Hunger Games, then Battle Royale is not beyond the realm of possibility. Once Newtown fades from the news cycle things will return to normal, at least until the next criminal shooting event.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3