• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CW Head: Network Is Not Planning to Remake Battle Royale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
For a long time now,I've heard complaints about Hollywood movies that take inspiration from anime. Now,I don't have a problem with Hollywood doing this but I've often heard about anime fans complaining that because a certain Hollywood film or cartoon resembles a certain anime that automatically means that that property has been plagiarized.
Now,just because Hollywood does something similar to an anime doesn't mean that they stole the idea from it. They might have taken some inspiration from the anime,but that's it. These baseless complaints make other anime fans look petty. Especially if they like Hollywood fare too. The people who throw the plagiarism charge around recklessly ought to have proof of what they're saying and not throw it around willy-nilly.

If they have proof of what they're saying,then they should state it and not make reckless charges without evidence. I like anime but I also like American fare as well and I'm probably not alone. If there's proof of plagiarism from either side,I'd like to hear it. But,I'm not going to make any sort of complaint without proof. For example,if you have proof that "The Hunger Games" is stolen from "Battle Royale,"get your evidence out there,but don't make such a serious charge without evidence. In fact,you might end up sued yourself if you can't back up your claims.
Just because a Hollywood movie or cartoon or an American novel or comic book might resemble a Japanese anime or manga doesn't mean the person stole it or plagiarized it. They may have taken some inspiration from it,but that's about it. If you have proof of plagiarism,than say it,but only if there's proof. If not,then don't complain. Then,it might be you that's sued,for slander.

Exactly (well except Battle Royale never had a anime) I never seen anime fans going after Asian movies that ripped off American or foreign stuff, like this Korean movie, H deliberately ripped off Silence of the Lamb and Se7en and nobody made a big deal out of it. I could say the same for the Japanese movie, Gun Crazy 2. There was one scene that probably ripped off (it could be a homage, who knows) from John Woo's A better Tomorrow, and nobody complain about it, and we're not sure if this is a rip-off or a homage. Anyway, I didn't see any lawsuit coming out of Japan at Hunger Games or Inception.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3