• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever not finish an anime because you didn't want it to end?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine ask me why I had this weird habit of starting a anime series, but then not finishing the last handful of episodes. I have noticed this as a habit of mine with several series such as Beck(which I have yet to finish), Eureka Seven, Fruits Basket, Hajime no Ippo, Cowboy Bebop, and for the sake of not having you read an essay I'll stop there. Hajime no Ippo alone took me over a year to finish even though I bought the whole series all at once. I find that the reason I have this habit is because when I enjoy a series so much, I don't want it to end. The feeling that after you finish a series and then that's it, there no more episodes ever going to be made, is quite depressing. Now there are some where I buy and don't even watch for maybe a year because I have to be emotionally ready (I know kinda sad, right?). The Place Promised In Our Early Days moved me so much that when 5 Centimeters Per Second came out, it took me 2 years before I watched itt. We should name this "The Shinkai Effect." Anyone else feel the same way when watching anime? Or am I just too emotional and sentimental for my own good?
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
I actually do that sometimes as well. I have also yet to finish beck (I think one or 2 eps to go), Oh! Edo Rocket (about the same amount I think), Code Geass R2, and from this year LotLH. I guess it just has to do with before watching the end the story still has many different possible outcomes giving the viewer the ability to imagine their preferred one, and also it seems like many changes in the relationships between characters or the characters themselves change in the last few episodes. I'm also probably guilty of doing it because I simply don't want some things to end as well.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I dont really do it a lot with series- the only reason why I dont finish watching them is that they get boring slash irritating slash I lose interest for whatever other reason.

But its different with films. I have had Kiki's Delivery Service on my shelf for 4 years now, but because it is the last (existing so far) Ghibli film I have not seen yet, I dont wanna watch it just yet.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
no, i will get around to watching something even if i put it on the back shelf. now i have started something and quit mid way and thought that anime is just not me. I have also watched things that i made up my mind would never sit on the shelf next to all the other anime that sit there now.

I have waited a long time to start seeing bleach again. I reached something like just before 300 and stopped for a few months and have just restarted watching what is on Crunchyroll.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ever not finish an anime because you didn't want it to end?

No. I'm the type who'd rather do what I feel like doing - and because of that, I do tend to put them on hold until I'm on a proper mood.

It happens quite often, and mostly with longer series. The most recent is Kaleido Star, which I pretty much watched at a rate of 10 episodes per day, but had the last on hold for 2 days.
Thus, the only conclusion I can come to is that you're never in the right mood or just afraid of whatever feelings await by the end of the series . Because I don't understand the feeling of not wanting to part with the characters, since a re-watch is always available.

Although I confess to watching a few episodes and leaving some series alone for the next couple of years.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
No, the only reason I wouldn't finish an anime is because I thought it was boring, awful, or downright offensive, all of which usually can be determined from a few episodes in rather than needing to watch most of it. Otherwise I'm a completest who will finish most anything so it can join it's friends (or enemies) and party in my sizable Seen All list.
Evelas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
No, the only reason I wouldn't finish an anime is because I thought it was boring, awful, or downright offensive, all of which usually can be determined from a few episodes in rather than needing to watch most of it.

That's pretty much my reasoning for not finishing an anime series as well. When I start getting into a show, I usually end up marathoning the hell out of it...then sometimes feel kind of sad about it being over afterward. I guess I'm in such a hurry to know what happens next with the story and characters, that it never occurs to me to stop watching because I don't want it to end.

...And my habit of marathoning series is probably also why I tend to burn out on anime every now and then. I have a weird system, I suppose, but it works for me. Razz
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
You should try long-running series like One Piece.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Nope, can't sez I've ever been in this position. The closest I have come is when I was watching Blood+, Part 1 where I would limit myself to no more than one disc per viewing session because I didn't want to gobble the series too fast. I've never had that "problem" since. Nowadays, no matter how much I'm loving a series, watching four episodes of it in a row is a major feat for me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Even though several series have had bitter sweet endings I can't imagine not finishing them. Sure I wish they wouldn't stop and there was more for me to watch. However, not finishing the series means I won't see how it ends. I won't see how the ending affects me. Part of the reason for me I don't want a series to end is because it does end. You know the ending is coming eventually so you enjoy it more knowing it's short lived. If you knew it never ended you might get bored with a series or not enjoy it as much. At least for me that's the case.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
I did the same thing with Beck, and eventually was disappointed by the ending. I'm also doing it right now with Haibane Renmei. The latter has more to do with the shows heavy nature than me "not wanting it to end." I may be a big tough Marine, but as my daughters often point out, I'm very timid emotionally.
Most of the time I tend to speed through shows I like. I only avoided finishing Beck because I could just tell I was going to hate the ending.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Can't say this has ever happened with me. As others have said, the only reason I would completely stop watching a series is if I got bored with it or just plain hated it. There are times when I'll take long, unintentional breaks in the middle of a series because I get tied up with other things, but I almost always finish it when I get the time.
thegluestick1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
To me it seems like you're in a bit of denial. You don't want to believe that it's finally over. It happens whenever something good is over, it just means that you've enjoyed the journey but I don't think you'll be satisfied until you finish it. Unless of course you stop watching coz you didn't like it! That's a whole different thing Razz
skulljoke90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well Code Geass R2 and Rainbow are the two that i never "finished" Razz

I wathced Code Geass's ending a while ago though...felt kinda sad after it but it's a great series.! Very Happy

I might do the same when One Piece is gonna end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1