• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Moe Money, Moe Problems

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Mugihito wrote:
Moe? I think that it might be bad for this new generation if they end up being too otaku. But when I was a child, I read so much Osamu Tezuka manga that my parents frowned upon me. My own moe? It's performing.

Miyu Matsuki wrote:
Hmm? Moe? Isn't moe when your heart goes "zoom"? I often feel moe, but hmm. What is it? Oh, yesterday, when one of the actresses shyly said, "I'm sorry!" I thought, "Moe!" (laugh) Hmm. That's a little too personal, so I'll think of something else.

Oh, there we go! When a woman with long hair is eating ramen, and she moves to tie her hair back, my heart goes "zoom". When we all go to ear ramen, I think, "This is moe!" as I eat mine. I'm more into people's gestures than I am things.

Keitaro Arima wrote:
"Moe" is something that has grown from being an existing word to meaning "a sense of desirability" that is shared among people with a new freedom, I believe. Something that often becomes a topic of conversation and is unusually debated over is the answer to the question, "What do you feel moe over?" and the meaning of whatever the object of their moe is. The choice of "what do you feel moe over?" is up to each individual, and should be different from person to person, but some people's sense of values compel them to declare, "This is what moe is."

One should be free to choose what the object of their moe is, but those people are strong-willed in their conclusion as to what it should be. But this is also because of the way the word "moe" is used. The very way the word "moe" is used by different people is a way for them to freely express what their "sense of affirmation" is.

Yeah, a friend of mine once aid to me that "moe" is synonymous for "heart racing," which was an expression used long ago (old!).

For example, in the ending from episode 20 onward, my heart races over Hazuki. So in many ways, and excuse me for going on about this, seeing Hazuki cutting in front of the camera like that is out of this world. It just makes me think, "I'm thankful to be here together with you now."

It's like when you remember the good times or you suddenly are reminded of that sensation. I'm sure you could call it "flashback scen moe."

Yukari Hashimoto & yuka wrote:
~~What do you think "moe" is?
Hashimoto
It's a certain "something" to each person, I think. It's not something you can compare to different people, it's "something special" to each person, I think.
yuka Maybe it's something you can't put into words. For girls, when you get that feeling of moe, it's a pure feeling~~you feel something like genuineness. It's a word that has come into wide use lately, huh?
~~Do you two have anything specific that you feel "moe" over?
Hashimoto
Since I like music, I get moe over old analog synthesizers. Not the kind where you can set parameters numerically, I like them where you can adjust the volume with knobs, and other sorts of analog things.
yuka I like going to the movies. When I see a cute little girl, it makes my heart flutter, but that's a little bit different from moe. But I love ballet, and Hazuki in the new ending is off-the-charts cute. The items that pop up and her poses are cute, too.

Quotes taken from the Moon Phase liner notes of volumes 3 through 6 respectively.

Not responding to anyone in particular, just copied these from an old post I made because they seem relevant.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
And one more thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post - If you think Azumanga Daioh is moe, you are out of your ****ing mind. One girl does NOT make a show "moe".

Two girls, I would argue. Sakaki's strong love for animals and the struggles she faces in dealing with them is insanely moe to a lot of fans.

Yeah, I did forget Sakaki. But except for her love for cats, what else makes her moe? Chiyo-chan is a given, IDK anyone who thinks dim-witted Osakan girls are moe, Tomo is just a lovable idiot, Kagura is a tomboy herself, and I guess Yomi's glasses make her moe even though it seems kind of a cop out.

You don't know anyone that thinks that Osaka is moe? Really? She's one of the most popular characters in the series, and I'd say that she's innocent, cute, quirky, etc. A character can be dumb, idiotic, a tomboy, etc and still be moe.

Osaka was the Runner-Up in the 2002 SaiMoe Tournament. She only lost to Kinomoto Sakura (by less than 50 votes!)
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Mike Toole announcing for pro football or baseball? He's got the pipes for it.

I'd rather listen to him announce a game than Ken "Hawk" Harrelson for the Chi Sox. Although, I'd rather listen to anyone besides Ken Harrelson announce.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Why isn't Mike Toole announcing for pro football or baseball? He's got the pipes for it.
But is he moe for play by play announcing?
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Its no surprise that "Moe" has become a sub-genre in Anime. Let's not forget Japan's culture places a lot of emphasize in all things cute. Hello Kitty, anyone?

Also, the reason why so many Western anime fans(especially guys) are hostile to moe is because of how we still associate "cuteness" with "femininity" in the Western World.

For instance, something like "Clannad" would easily be perceived as being "girly", because of our perception of what is "Feminine", and/or "Masculine." Same would apply to 30-50% all anime. Its going to take a while for our social norms to change.

(Let's not forget that our views on sex have still yet to evolve in part thanks to our religious roots) Smile

Anyway, I don't mind moe. In fact, I'm quite a sucker for it. Just so long as it has humor and/or story, I don't mind moe being present in the medium.

But of course, anime should remain diverse at all times. I don't want it to be dominated by one genre over another(whether its Moe, Ecchi, Fanservice, Shonen, Shoujo, Seinin, etc). Wink

Last edited by Deviant_scarlet on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
Can I throw in my two cents now, Keonyn? :P Pretty please?

unready: Leo said he was into Kurosawa and Miyazaki. Nolan's only indirectly acknowledged Paprika. [I.E. they got someone who said he said it, but no direct quotes.] But since he hasn't challenged that story, we're to assume he was inspired by it for now, even though he won't openly admit it. In fact at Deadline, he still referred to Inception as "something the audience hadn't seen before". :roll:

brand: Yeah, but Ikuhara didn't call Utena "original". And Scott Pilgrim looks like every other early 2000s manga-inspired web-comic, except that it's targeted to hipsters. Ironically, though, I did dig the movie.

Zac: Um, Darren himself acknowledged that there are similar elements to both films.
feitian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
I love you guys and all, but this episode makes me head hurt.

Its rare but its somewhat refreshing for once I feel like everyone on the show as pulling it out of their butt, like one of those moral panic round table in the news.

Personally I define "moe" as "cute".

If you replace all the instance in which a character is described as "moe" with "cute", the meaning probably will not change.

This is where I leaves this term.

In general though, I dislike this particular label being used to describe a show. It makes them too easily dismissed for someone to make substantive critical analysis of its problems.

Though considering some of the crap that came out, I can't really blame people for being dismissive. >.>;
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
One point that the crew for this podcast mentioned that I tend to agree with and yet somehow still baffles me even with the explanations provided in the podcast is how it seems like some moe fans (particularly those on the internet ) will take what is a niche interest and try to sell it as top shelf masterpiece quality craftsmanship. This to me just seems equally as bizarre and foreign as it seems it is to Zac.

Case in point, the Kyoani catalogue of moe shows. From the Key stuff to Lucky Star and K-On to even Haruhi I just cannot grasp how these works are consistently held up, seemingly by the majority of the current fandom of the day, as a defining gold standard to which all anime ought to aspire, and I just don't get it or how I'm supposed to react to that other than to say, "wait a minute, these shows have their appeal to certain sects and their various merits, but that's disrespectful to all the other works that have come before it".

It doesn't help that the internet anime fandom of the day seems to refuse to critique these Kyoani moe shows the same way any average fan I know off the internet will, and that they regularly go so far as to vehemently attempt to defend them when I can pinpoint various issues with them from the character portrayals to inconsistent pacing and plotting that don't stand up to any real counterarguments. To make matters worse, after vaguely responding to my points about these works pitfalls, these fans are often willing to go so far as to turn around yet again without even blinking and call these shows "perfect". Even more bizarre to me is how they seem to regularly turn around yet another time shortly after to heap criticism on just about every other work they come across, even if those shows have the same issues I pointed out with the Kyoani moe shows. Shocked

Like how Zac describes it it all feels extremely alien and I swear if I had any other friends who were still interested in anime I would probably take my fandom off the internet and just hang out with them and enjoy the works we used to watch back in the day because it seems like I have nothing in common with the anime fans of today that make the internet their forum.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
And one more thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post - If you think Azumanga Daioh is moe, you are out of your ****ing mind. One girl does NOT make a show "moe".

Two girls, I would argue. Sakaki's strong love for animals and the struggles she faces in dealing with them is insanely moe to a lot of fans.

Yeah, I did forget Sakaki. But except for her love for cats, what else makes her moe? Chiyo-chan is a given, IDK anyone who thinks dim-witted Osakan girls are moe, Tomo is just a lovable idiot, Kagura is a tomboy herself, and I guess Yomi's glasses make her moe even though it seems kind of a cop out.

You don't know anyone that thinks that Osaka is moe? Really? She's one of the most popular characters in the series, and I'd say that she's innocent, cute, quirky, etc. A character can be dumb, idiotic, a tomboy, etc and still be moe.

Osaka was the Runner-Up in the 2002 SaiMoe Tournament. She only lost to Kinomoto Sakura (by less than 50 votes!)

I honestly don't know anyone that thinks Osaka is "cute" or "moe" itself. She's just that lovable ditz that............wait, let me guess. That's moe too.

And wait, 2002? Well, of course she'd come in second. She came from the one of the most popular animes of that yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
Heh, as vehement as my support has been of Air TV (as I said it's one of my favorite series), ironically I have recently felt the vitriol of some KyoAni/Haruhi fans when I said that Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya may be the most boring anime movie I have ever watched. After all, at least Angel's Egg was less than an hour and a half long. So I can certainly agree with you that there are a lot KyoAni fans who seem to put their works on a podium.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I honestly don't know anyone that thinks Osaka is "cute" or "moe" itself. She's just that lovable ditz that............wait, let me guess. That's moe too.

And wait, 2002? Well, of course she'd come in second. She came from the one of the most popular animes of that yeah.

Lovable ditz is hella moe from what I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

After thinking about it, I see where Azumanga Daioh is moe (even though it doesn't need it to be the almighty awesome classic it is) but at this point, anything is considered moe. I could point at a block of cheese and say it's moe. Whoever said "the term moe itself is destroying anime itself" is really starting to sound smart right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

After thinking about it, I see where Azumanga Daioh is moe (even though it doesn't need it to be the almighty awesome classic it is) but at this point, anything is considered moe. I could point at a block of cheese and say it's moe. Whoever said "the term moe itself is destroying anime itself" is really starting to sound smart right now.

You could probably find someone that thinks of cheese as moe, I guess, although the anime producers who bank on the term to sell product have probably not thought of that yet. As far as I know. (Now just watch, someone will come along and prove me wrong.)

you've lost me on your logic, though. Anything is moe, and...thus...that's what's....destroying anime? Because that honestly doesn't sound smart at all. That makes it sound like even genuinely good shows are destroying anime. Because of a label. Rolling Eyes

Again, I think part of the problem with moe as a marketable concept is that it's trying to take something that used to (perhaps?) mean a personal reaction to something and trying to boil that down to traits as a way to find a sure-fire, and...well, a group of the fandom eats it up. It's not that people find things moe, is that it's being used as a way to promote an anime outside of, say, good storytelling.

To use a personal example, I like megane guys. So when I see a character like Seishin from Shiki or Kyouya from Ouran High School Host Club I'm way more likely to pay attention to them. That's silly, probably, but it's not going to really hurt anime in any way. The problem would be if I went out and went gaga over, say...Four-Eyed Prince for the sole fact that it features a megane character as the main love interest, regardless of the fact that the plot is pretty cliché and there's been dozens of shoujo manga that have told similar plots much more skillfully, that would be kinda bad. Particularly if I pour a bunch of money into that product and demand that more bishounen with glasses pop up into works, and if it's revealed later in the backstory that the character doesn't actually need glasses but wears them as a fashion accessory and I threaten to cancel my pre-order of the plushie version of Megane Character No. 9 unless the purity of his glasses-wearing-ness is conformed to, and then the creator of the work buckles...that would be the cancer killing anime.

...That example went to a really insane place, but...does that make any sense at all? (Maybe?)

tl;dr - It's the market (fans and the industry) that made moe a problem. Not the pure fact that the concept of moe exists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Heh, as vehement as my support has been of Air TV (as I said it's one of my favorite series), ironically I have recently felt the vitriol of some KyoAni/Haruhi fans when I said that Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya may be the most boring anime movie I have ever watched. After all, at least Angel's Egg was less than an hour and a half long. So I can certainly agree with you that there are a lot KyoAni fans who seem to put their works on a podium.

You actually went and told them that?! Shocked

Truth be told I said about the same thing and they could not grasp that anyone could find that movie unevenly paced and dreadfully lacking in engaging material for large chunks at a time. People legitimately point to that movie as an example of how adaptations should be done in the future and my response tends to be, "perhaps, but only if it's an adaptation of something that actually has enough material of interest to work as a movie of that length".

Off the top of my head Lawrence of Arabia and Das Boot are good examples of 3 hour plus long movies that I think work because of the material they cover and the cinematography that goes into them. Then again as far as I know those movies started life as a screenplay so they were designed from the beginning to be that length out of necessity.

There's no room for verbatim adaptations in movies in my opinion. You can try to fit everything in, but if it's just one long monologue by a character for a good chunk of it you damn well better make it the most interesting monologue since the days of Shakespeare instead of some teenager whining for 40 minutes about how boring his life is now that that crazy girl is out of the picture.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
feitian wrote:
Personally I define "moe" as "cute".

If you replace all the instance in which a character is described as "moe" with "cute", the meaning probably will not change.

The suitability of such an identification can be contested. I shall demonstrate this.

There exist central cases of "moe" characters to which very few would hesitate to ascribe the term. The main character from Air is one of these.

In view of these straightforward examples, a standard counterexample against your proposal can be presented. We can easily conceive of a person, one who is highly exposed to the appropriate niches and trends within the anime industry, who holds that central cases such as the protagonist of Air is a "moe" character but doubts that she is cute in any way.

Let us propose that this person utters the following sentence: "Misuzu is clearly a moe character, but I don't find her to be at all cute". This utterance does not strike us as meaningless, or at least not to the same degree as the utterance "Misuzu is clearly a cute character, but I don't find her to be at all cute".

Because only one of these sentences is obviously meaningless (or otherwise obviously contradictory), we have arrived at a conceivable and utterance of "moe" which cannot be substituted with "cute" salva veretate. Moreover, we have arrived at a conceivable utterance that does not suggest any ineptitude on behalf of the speaker to apply the relevant terms.

One may object to this counterexample by suggesting we can identify moe characters as those that are supposed or intended to be cute, though such a thesis is quite distinct from that which you propose.

A separate objection would involve noting, quite rightly, that both of the terms "moe" and "cute" are semantically subjective. Such a view does not, however, prevent us from being able to conceive of the person in the counterexample. Even if the meaning of the speaker's terms somehow depend on facts concerning the speaker herself, we can still reach an example in which she uses each term in a distinct manner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14