• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IGPX Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Awsome trailer. What else can I say?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Awsome trailer. What else can I say?

You can say that racing giant robots is lame as all hell.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Or you can say it's better than ladies with giant boobs racing.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
While this show looks and sounds beautiful, I'm ready to be disappointed. From news leaks at cons I've heard the show's story tends to be rather simplistic and derrivative with a few decent bits of direction and occasional pop-culture refferences along with the great animation, music, and acting to keep it within watchability range. But hey, this is a teen-oriented mecha-driven Japanese-American collaberation from Production I.G., so there really can't be any excuses not to test it out. And if the mecha and Japanese aspects of this show are done as you'd expect, of course the first 5 episodes will be kind of boring without affecting the awesomeness of everything afterwards!
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy BeBop was episodic, but of course the characters in that show were kicking ass within 10 min of the first episode. Lets just hope this gets big raitings, I wouldn't mind seeing some more colaborations like this in the future.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm still really disapointed they changed it from gladiator robots to racing robots.

Animation looks nice, at least.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Cowboy BeBop was episodic, but of course the characters in that show were kicking ass within 10 min of the first episode.

Cowboy Bebop wasn't mecha. I'm taking about stuff like Gundam, EVA, etc. that take a while to start up but once they do are quite entertaining.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, that looks pretty freaking sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
looks like F-Zero with robots, i love that music though.

i thought this was an exclusive cartoon network production.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
When I watched the 2-episode premiere 2 weeks ago I thought it looked nice but seemed generic. The voice acting is decent but the show seemed too much into the graphics, which have changed dramatically since the 2002 version. You've got spoiler[the talented kid with not a care to the world (Van in Zoids), the tough-talkin' physical female and the small child with some type of special abilities (really, pick your anime here)]. Now if the quality of music I heard at the iGames Expo is in every episode, they've almost got me right there. I'd need to see more to call it great. It's good though.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I'm still really disapointed they changed it from gladiator robots to racing robots.

Animation looks nice, at least.

Agreed. The original IGPX was 3 on 3 robot battles out in the middle of nowhere. No track and no race, just pure robot fights. Yeah, it was yet another "tournament anime", but it was a great concept. This is more like roller derby with giant robots (or in this case "combat speed skating"). It's just so drastically different. Hopefully they can come up with a way to explain how the IGPX evolves from one style of combat to another seeing as how they left in a lot of characters (albeit, heavily redesigned yet still recognizable). Just looking at the girl with the cyborg cat I'm going to guess this takes place some time after the original mini series, that's assuming this is a continuation and not a complete remake (which I fear it is).

I really do want to see this series succeed, but as it stands it's such a different show it's hard to call it IGPX.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
We could have a typical OVA vs TV situation.

And for some reason, I find mech tournament anime enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1