• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Inspired Mecha

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
You also fail at life for stereotyping.

What "stereotyping?" I was merely commenting on the fact that all you were doing in this thread as posting rather irrelevant images with even more irrelevant little "4Chanism" side comments like "needs more ____" and now "u fail at ____."

Super Arrow wrote:
P.S. 11-Foot is still shorter than some of the smallest Mecha I can think of: Aestivalis & Aura Battlers.

Why on Earth are you comparing real life to fantasy cartoons as if it were some valid assessment?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
*looks at article's headline*

Who's comparing what with what now?
ryu04

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
did you watch gundiam last week on cartoonnetwork?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Who's comparing what with what now?

You're really trying to say that being inspired by something and sitting there saying how a real-world piece of technology "isnt as kewlies as OMG DRAGONAR!!!1" are the same thing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This robot the guy made is pretty interesting. I remember when http://www.mechaps.com first started a few years ago, thinking about how cool it was that people actually wanted to tackle the dream of building a mech. Now that someone has gone and finished it, it's kind of neat. You could probably mod it to make the arms and head too. Anime hyper Though the arms wouldn't work unless you put in heavy engineering to do it. ;p
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, since Dragonar was Gundam-inspired and all...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Well, since Dragonar was Gundam-inspired and all...

You're still comparing a real-life technological breakthrough to a fantasy cartoon. That makes no sense even with the rather reaching "justification" that both were inspired by Gundam. Hell, Gundam's beam sabers and just about every robotics & aerospace firm in the world were both inspired by Star Wars, but you don't go to one of their websites and post pictures of the MSZ-006 while nonsensically yelling "needs more zeta kthxbye!!!!!!!!" or otherwise troll the place up just because the two have that very loose connection, now do you?
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Actually, both Lightsabers & Beam Sabers were inspired by "electric" letter-openers in one of Isaac Asimov's novels.
Guyver Gigantic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
There's a mecha currently in developement right here in the USA. A guy named Carlos Owen is currently working on it, his site is found here and a good article here. I think it's pretty awesome.

Last edited by Guyver Gigantic on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
In the news report, it seems he doesn't know how to make it walk properly just yet. Maybe what the mech needs is a gyro or auto stabilization equipment to keep its balance as it walks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Guyver Gigantic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well it's my understanding that the controls are much more complex than just basic functions, plus the budget is very limited. But hey, as far as I'm concerned they can take as long as they like as long as it gets done and more are made.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Despite the fact that the legs move back and forth, can one really call that ambulation? It looks like the legs aren't even coming off of the ground.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
My guess is that this is how the Gundam battle suits first started out as well. I wouldn't condemn the first attempt, because I think it's pretty unique. If they had a large corporation designing it and constructing it it would probably be even better designed as well. The fact that they designed a limited working prototype is pretty awesome, in my book ... Very Happy
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
RX-78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thats great! It just goes to show how big of impact has had over in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2