• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Great Canadian Evangelion Ticket Give-Away - 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stockboiotaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
I also didn't get an email, so I assumed I didn't win. And surprisingly my name is posted. Am I SOL?
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
well, that was profoundly disappointing. i'm really glad i won a ticket, because i would have been a little upset if i'd had to pay for that.

first of all, i wish it had mentioned somewhere that it would be the subtitled version. i'd been looking forward to tiffany grant so that was something of a letdown. had i know, at least i could have lowered my expectations.

second, was the atrocious picture quality. i think the brightness was too high or something because the picture was totally washed out. you couldn't make out any of the details, and in the darker scenes, you couldn't make out anything at all. the opening sequence with mari was absolutely horrible.

on the plus side, we had a good turnout again. not quite as packed as for the first film, but i'd guess between 100 and 150 people.
Hikori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the movie ticket Very Happy To let you know I had an AWESOME time @ Coliseum Scarborough Cinemas (UltraAVX). Also to those two guys who were yelling at the screen! Thanks you so much! you make it a little better xD!

Last edited by Hikori on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that was an awful experience. First of all the funk in the theater was overpowering as anime fans obviously don't shower. The picture and audio quality was absolute trash, I could have just stayed home and watched my Japanese import blu-ray copy and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. I swear the audio was coming out of one speaker with the sub-woofer cranked up.

Very disappointed in not having the dub, was pretty much the only reason I wanted to go to see in the first place to see if Funi improved it from the first film.

Either way I would never go see another anime like this ever again, just a terrible experience all around. I wanted so bad to have Summer Wars get this kinda treatment but now I'm glad they didn't.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
I have to say that was an awful experience. First of all the funk in the theater was overpowering as anime fans obviously don't shower. The picture and audio quality was absolute trash, I could have just stayed home and watched my Japanese import blu-ray copy and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. I swear the audio was coming out of one speaker with the sub-woofer cranked up.

Very disappointed in not having the dub, was pretty much the only reason I wanted to go to see in the first place to see if Funi improved it from the first film.

Either way I would never go see another anime like this ever again, just a terrible experience all around. I wanted so bad to have Summer Wars get this kinda treatment but now I'm glad they didn't.

I now feel better about not attending (won a free ticket but couldn't go because of work). What a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
From what I've been reading, some theaters screwed up royally. Fortunately the one I went to (Silver City in Richmond, BC) got it right, after a couple of false starts. Picture and sound were great. It was obviously from a blu ray player, so if you already have the BD (cough or BD rip cough) and a good home theater, you didn't miss anything, apart from the experience of watching with a bunch of people.

The same happened with the screening of 1.0 last year, some theaters didn't know how to play the digital HD file, or didn't know how to balance the colors, which is kinda sad.

Hopefully with the decent turnout to this movie, we'll see more theatrical releases for anime.

Thanks ANN for doing the ticket giveaway ! Free is always better.
Chanker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to see Kat and Bean had bad experiences with the film Sad it absolutely goes onto the theatre's equipment. The theatre I went to with my buddy, a contest winner, had exquisite picture and beautiful heart-crunching surround sound. Since they were playing Blu Ray discs, the picture and sound are assured up until the equipment they're played on.

We had a great time at the film- but, choosing to enter at a bit of a back-water theatre (instead of the giant, closer multiplex) with employees that probably couldn't pick Japan off a map, let alone know anything about the contest, was the trade off.
And... Not every fan went to the screening to laugh and hoot during the most dramatic, emotional scenes Confused Maybe separate theaters for anime patrons would be nice next time, so the fans that think a fun time is a loud, opinionated, obnoxious running commentary is the same experience everybody wants can just carry on and not bother us (they don't care that they do, anyways). I'd save the 800$ to buy out the theatre and watch the 3rd install with my friends in peace and quiet . Laughing Laughing
Nekoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
i also never got an email XP

what really gets me is I dont think Im aloud to see the eva movies at all

I say this becoz in 09 I won a ticket to see the first movie and never got to becoz the theater caught on fire and we had to leave, I only heard " welcome to neo tokyo" something like that then a lady said we have to leave. and now I win again and miss the day to see it coz I didn't get an email. either my luck sucks, or im not meant to see the movies in a theater xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3