• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star BD Box in Japan in May with English Dub/Sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
Well, the box set is still like half the price of the singles combined and considering the inclusion of dub, and the 400 mins of extras, it's a good deal, relatively speaking.

As far as whether or not it's an upscale, I bet it was animated in 720p or roughly thereabout so it'll probably look better than upscaling from DVD anyways.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
I wonder just how many of those sets go for RRP.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
The problem lies with actually importing anime from Japan or vise versa. Certain policies prohibit this from happening on many sites. Amazon.co.jp is a prime example of the restriction. Though, I could see many that would do this if the restriction was lifted.

Much like when the anime industry in America was in its infancy (way back in the NINETIES) the hardcore fans will find a way to do it. Heck, before Amazon wasn't even AROUND till the mid nineties and yet people in America found ways to import Laserdiscs and CDs from Japan.

And besides, consider this. If this was released in America, it'd probably be considered insane at $100 (you can get 3 parts of FMA brotherhood, combined for a total of 39 episodes, on blu-ray for just over $80), but if they sell at that that's an almost 80% discount. You could pay someone $100 to buy it for you, pay crazy high (for a single boxset) $100 in shipping, and you're STILL saving $175. And you think hardcore, devoted Japanese otaku who have apparently been keeping an eye on the US release enough to comment on it, would be stymied by local website prohibition?
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyoto Animation switched to HD production starting with Kanon 2006.
Everything since then has been HD, including Lucky Star.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
What about the first season of Haruhi, is that in HD too? I heard somewhere that on the Haruhi BD-Box, the second season is native HD, while the first season is just upscaled. Confused
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Annf wrote:
What about the first season of Haruhi, is that in HD too? I heard somewhere that on the Haruhi BD-Box, the second season is native HD, while the first season is just upscaled. Confused

The first season of Haruhi was Spring 2006. Kanon was Autumn 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4