• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Size Meats

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big fan of Asimov and literary sci-fi in general, and I definitely got some of those vibes from the earlier episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates as well, but less so from the middle. I might have to go back and rewatch that episode to see if I missed anything the first time around, because I definitely didn't have that reaction to anything past the first arc. For me, it felt like it started to veer off course through the middle until it corrects itself towards the end. You didn't feel this way?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
I'm a pretty big fan of Asimov and literary sci-fi in general, and I definitely got some of those vibes from the earlier episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates as well, but less so from the middle. I might have to go back and rewatch that episode to see if I missed anything the first time around, because I definitely didn't have that reaction to anything past the first arc. For me, it felt like it started to veer off course through the middle until it corrects itself towards the end. You didn't feel this way?

I certainly think the end is more Asimovian than the middle, but I think that episode is the exception. It's not anything remotely close to hard science, but there was something experimental in their docking approach that to me gave me the same excitement as reading old school s.f.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
Bamboo,
Can you comment on the voice acting on Bodacious Space Pirates? I love the series from watching it on Crunchyroll, so I'm fine with subs, but I'm thinking of getting this as a gift for a friend's kid who's really not old enough to be enthused at reading a bunch of text. Do you think you'd say it's PG-ish? I've totally lost perspective as a jaded anime fan, but I'd think it's around there.

Eh, you know, I didn't find the dub to be particularly note-worthy, either in the positive or negative. The actors they used are all very familiar to anime fans, and they all do a reasonable job, but I wasn't wild about it. It IS very PG, though, so that shouldn't be a concern.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Been recently rewatching 2001 after watching and reading some nice film analysis on it. Now I'm even less inclined to care about Space Pirates. Maybe it's utterly ridiculous to compare the two, but watching the empty blackness and slow moving scenes of 2001 are far more interesting and intense. I found the Golden Ghost Ship arc to be a wasted effort and anti-climactic, and the knew the show wouldn't recover or grow after that. Any implications of importance that arc had for the princesses and their world was felt off-screen, so I have no reason to care about it.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The Shana movie is actually a readaptation of the first light novel - the same material adapted along with the second to the first part of the TV series - and technically different from a compilation of the TV series. The effect is understandably similar, of course.

Anyway, I agree with what you said on it, which was the only one on the list I've seen. I've read the first volume of the Toriko manga, and it seemed alright. It looked like it was acquiring more crappy shounen battle manga tropes, which was a disappointment. I could really only imagine it being "good" if it got better and avoided the pacing problems every anime adapted from a concurrently running battle manga has.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I stand by my assertion that Toriko is a really fun, enjoyable show. I like food, I like hunting. And yeah, it's pretty ridiculous and over-the-top, which I also mentioned. AND I mentioned it was a monster-of-the-week show which will mostly appeal to SJ fans. I mean, if you don't like these elements (monster-of-the-week is, by it's nature, formulaic, but I even explained that I was entertained because I loved the creativity of the animals), then presumably you would be able to extrapolate that you wouldn't like this show.

Fair enough. it's your column, ultimately. I was a bit surprised given how you have reacted to some other shounen series in the past--I like plenty of shounen action series including HxH/Naruto/Fairy Tail so that isn't the issue--but fun is subjective. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

BTW, it isn't hunting in general that I have a problem with in Toriko, especially when it comes to game animals whose populations would grow to unhealthy levels if they were not (ducks, deer, etc). I do have a problem with the ass-backwards attitudes of some Japanese when it comes to zealously defending their outdated practices of hunting highly-endangered species and over-fishing practices. It is hard to not be reminded of this when watching an anime some dude find extremely rare species of animal and then eat them. It's kind of like if Japan were to do some shounen anime glorifying Japan's role in WWII. I don't think I'd much enjoy that, either.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
If the movie is a good option for people like me who didn't really didn't watch it to catch up, then I'll definitely consider checking it out.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Been recently rewatching 2001 after watching and reading some nice film analysis on it. Now I'm even less inclined to care about Space Pirates. Maybe it's utterly ridiculous to compare the two, but watching the empty blackness and slow moving scenes of 2001 are far more interesting and intense. I found the Golden Ghost Ship arc to be a wasted effort and anti-climactic, and the knew the show wouldn't recover or grow after that. Any implications of importance that arc had for the princesses and their world was felt off-screen, so I have no reason to care about it.

You know, I also felt deflated after the Ghost Ship arc, but I thought the second season, when they had to reconvene the Pirate Committee, or whatever the hell they called it, I thought that was really great. After rewatching the first 12 eps, I realized my main problem with the Ghost Ship arc was ultimately, once they actually stepped foot into the ghost ship. I was fine with them looking for it, and then that awesome airbrake they did into it, but once we found out what was inside, I was let down.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I certainly think the end is more Asimovian than the middle, but I think that episode is the exception. It's not anything remotely close to hard science, but there was something experimental in their docking approach that to me gave me the same excitement as reading old school s.f.
Indeed, now I'm definitely going to have to go back and rewatch that episode.

A bit off topic, maybe it'd be more accurate to call the draw to Asimov and his sort of stories less about hard science and more about logic. I think it's the internally consistent use of ingenuity and daring to overcome the obstacles of the plot, independent of actual hardness, which gives it that feeling. Perhaps it's not so much important that the science is hard so much that the characters are convinced of its hardness.

Last edited by Nemo of Mentis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Ya know I get if Toriko is not everyone's cup of tea, but I cannot for the life of me find other more recent shonen stories like Sket Dance, Fairy Tail or Reborn more recommendable to watch. Either I've seen a bit or a bunch of episodes of each of these shows and whatever it is that people are finding appealing either I'm not seeing or.... actually ya know what? It's not that I can't see what the appeal suppsoedly is. I do see the supposed appeal for each show, I just find the appeal to be heavily exaggerated.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Its not quite as bad Bo Bo Bo Bo, but if shows like Shaman King and Mar could not work here, I don't see how this show will either.

Oh, you mean the same show that was dubbed by 4Kids, only aired on their awful Saturday morning block and had its uncut DVDs halted like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s due to 4Kids not wanting those to outsell their cut DVDs?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the Shana movie many years back to see if I'd be interested in the franchise. And that movie completely hooked me. It wasn't until recently that I got back to rewatching the series (I skipped past the Friagne arc the first time since I had watched the movie) that I realized what a piss poor adaptation JC Staff did with it. The movie is much better in terms of cohesion as well as suspense. Hell my favorite moment from the movie was pretty much ruined in the TV version because the viewers unnecessarily had information that movie viewers didn't at that point, which pretty much eliminates any suspense.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote
I dropped Bodacious Space Pirates after the first few episodes. When I picture space pirates, I want to see some, I don't know, actual pirating. Raiding ships, bloody mayhem, guns blasting, smirking, devil-may-care near-sociopaths at the helm of high-tech killing machines. Not cute high school girls talking, and talking, and TALKING for episodes on end, never actually doing anything.

I had to go and watch the classic Sol Bianca to appease my needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Eh, you know, I didn't find the dub to be particularly note-worthy, either in the positive or negative. The actors they used are all very familiar to anime fans, and they all do a reasonable job, but I wasn't wild about it. It IS very PG, though, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks Bamboo, that's really helpful! (And I'm glad I'm not too jaded Smile )
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Ya know I get if Toriko is not everyone's cup of tea, but I cannot for the life of me find other more recent shonen stories like Sket Dance, Fairy Tail or Reborn more recommendable to watch. Either I've seen a bit or a bunch of episodes of each of these shows and whatever it is that people are finding appealing either I'm not seeing or.... actually ya know what? It's not that I can't see what the appeal suppsoedly is. I do see the supposed appeal for each show, I just find the appeal to be heavily exaggerated.

I can see why you feel that way man. I tried really hard to get into Sket Dance but didn't get past the second episode. Fairy Tail however isn't really a show for people that like well written shonen. It's really telling when some 160 episodes in, the main character doesn't seem to remember that he is supposed to be looking for his bloody dad dragon guy. It has some high points though but as long as you don't really mind that they only do something to do with the vague overarching plot every 50 episodes or so. Its not like One Piece where you don't mind it because their adventures are just fun to watch because you can tell when the mangaka is just pulling stuff out his a**. Reborn's main problem is that it you need to watch around 39 episodes before it actually becomes a good show then from that point its a pretty enjoyable show. Its only drawback from then is the comedy is very hit & miss. I finished Reborn and it was mainly only because it was one of the first batch of shows i ever watched and followed week to week so i'm biased. Fairy Tail is so inconsistent that it can get irritating because i keep flip flopping between loving and hating the show.

In conclusion, watch Hunter X Hunter because it suffers from none of that and is fun as f*ck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3