• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live from Anime Los Angeles 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
The Hunter x Hunter line made me sad. But it's a fantastic show. I wouldn't say it has no fans though.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
The Hunter x Hunter line made me sad. But it's a fantastic show. I wouldn't say it has no fans though.

Yeah, I agree. I think people are watching it, but there's just not a whole lot to talk about. The manga's been around forever, and there's already been one anime adaptation of it. This reboot is really more of a Kai than a Brotherhood at this point, after all, cutting all the filler out of scenes that have already been animated. For one of my friends, HxH is her absolute favorite manga, but she doesn't talk about it a lot because it's always on hiatus. And hey, what's to talk about, anyway? It's almost entirely made up of nonstop, redonkulous fight scenes. That's part of what makes it awesome for people who watch it, but it also means there's not a whole lot to say about it xD

Anyway, that was a fun podcast^^ I feel bad for the person who walked away with the Shyamalan trilogy of terror. Laughing
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
This was fun to listen to. Can't wait to see the new site redesign, and I'm curious to see if the video reviews become a thing. But that sounds like it won't happen for a wile if it ever does.

For Hunter x Hunter, admittedly I haven't watched it. But I have been reading the manga and recently finished volume 8. It's a fun series.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the redesign & that "pile of shame" column. Not really looking forward to the new comments section, since like mentioned in the podcast, it can possibly cause a lot of problems.

BTW, what was the title mentioned around 33:55 that Zac commented on that went straight to the S.A.V.E. line? Don't know if it was the podcast download or my audio setting, but I couldn't hear exactly what the title was.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

BTW, what was the title mentioned around 33:55 that Zac commented on that went straight to the S.A.V.E. line? Don't know if it was the podcast download or my audio setting, but I couldn't hear exactly what the title was.

I heard Black Cat.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Actually, I think the fanbase for that show is growing. A lot of new fans are attracted to some of the new voice actors. I don't think I would have started watching it if it hadn't been for Bamboo's raving about it on The Stream. Now that I have, I never miss an episode. The show really is good, and a lot of fun.

I expect it will attract even more audience when they start animating the stuff past where the earlier anime stopped.

Zac mentioned Toriko along with Hunter X Hunter. I see much less discussion about Toriko, to tell the truth. It is really odd. Both of those shows are doing well in the ratings in Japan.
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
Thing is, Toriko is the one that's getting a video release in America, so the simulcast numbers must have been big enough for Funimation to take notice. I actually know a few people who are excited for that release. I don't think it'll be as big a hit as Naruto or Bleach, but so long as it has the Shonen Jump name attached to it it'll sell well.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
This was fun to listen to. Can't wait to see the new site redesign, and I'm curious to see if the video reviews become a thing. But that sounds like it won't happen for a wile if it ever does.

For Hunter x Hunter, admittedly I haven't watched it. But I have been reading the manga and recently finished volume 8. It's a fun series.

That series packs a wallop in the long run. I am not the biggest fan of the Greed Island arc - too much information that's not worth remembering - but the arc after that sends the series into an entirely different direction, and it's all the better because of it.

And wasn't vol. 29 supposed to be available online since January 1st? It's been a week and nothing. That seriously pisses me off.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
You know somewhere in the back of my mind, I really REALLY hope that once the new Sailor Moon debuts, it'll create a great impact among the regular folks so in turn it'll make anime relevant in their eyes again.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
This was a really enjoyable podcast. You guys talked about some interesting things. I am really looking forward to Justin's new column and the '70s podcast. I love discussions about older anime.

I was sad to hear the "eh" about NANA, but I guess it's just not Zac and Justin's thing. I can see how it is probably generally more appealing to women.

While I am personally very enthusiastic for the new Sailor Moon anime for myself, I am also really hoping it will make a big splash if it eventually gets dubbed and put on television. It could definitely bring in more fans and revenue for anime, which would be very exciting.

I have to admit that I love Air and Clannad After Story. I wouldn't put them in my top 3 of the decade, but they would be in my top 10, so they're not totally forgotten.

Anyway, really fun podcast. Thanks so much yet again!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
I put Air (the Movie version the Tv series is a train wreck) and Kanon in my top 10 of the 2000's but I can see why they wouldnt be listed. I wasn't a big fan of the second half of the Nana Anime's second half.

Just started reading the Black Cat manga and it's just Cowboy Bebop light IMHO (only five volumes in though)
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:

I heard Black Cat.

So did I. It's obviously Zac taking the mick out of the show, since we all know it really didn't go straight to S.A.V.E.
No Comment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Pile Of Shame. Why whittle away at mine when I can listen to another guy talk about his?
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
PBsallad wrote:

And wasn't vol. 29 supposed to be available online since January 1st? It's been a week and nothing. That seriously pisses me off.

Hmmm. The print release was the first and digital releases are supposed to be out at the same time. Weird.

I'm also really looking forward to that Stu Levy interview now that I remember it was mentioned. lol
MopZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
There was seriously a guy there with half of a beard?

I'm looking forward to Justin's new column. I actually bought the Outlanders DVD because of that column. Being able to find that was surprising enough, but the price tag was so cheap that I had to buy it. I can't even remember if it was that or the Slayers ova that ended up as my cheapest anime purchase. One was like six six-dollars and the other was like $1.99.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5