• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Patlabor Video Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this matters, but prior to the 2003 DVD release mentioned there was an earlier two volume VHS release. I rented this from Blockbuster back then. When the DVD release came out, I got it and realized I had already seen part of it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
If they're going to release it on bluray, they would have to have access to better masters. Perhaps they were able to get the original film masters, or perhaps a new digital copy of them.

That would be a logical assumption, yes, but there have been cases where the U.S. release just doesn't look as good as the Japanese DVDs, let alone BDs, for various reasons...including, among others, the possibility of having received different materials. Stranger things have happened.

At any rate, I'm far from being the most nitpicking or demanding video expert myself.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is some of the best news for a while. ^^; It's always great to hear that some part of my favorite anime is getting rescued. If ADV's release is close to the Japanese BDs in a/v quality, I'll buy some more Patlabor (for the umpteenth time [lots of LDs, VHS, R1 DVDs, BDs already]).

Thank you, ADV!

Megiddo wrote:
Excellent. Now just need the latter half of New Files and my Patlabor collection will be complete.

The latter half of the New OVAs? Did you only buy (or were given) that first (and only, IIRC), bilingual, DVD single and skip the complete 3-disc set? Price? Timing? Lack of English audio?
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This is beyond awesome!! A couple years back, one of my buddies and I wanted to watch the OVAs but we couldn't get our hands on any of the CPM release except some dinky old VHSes which did not turn out so well. I can't wait to finally watch the show all the way through!
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice, looking forward to picking it up. Ahh 2013 is a good year to be a fan of retro/classic anime. Cool
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Nice, looking forward to picking it up. Ahh 2013 is a good year to be a fan of retro/classic anime. Cool

I know! Between this, Cobra and the new GiTS, I feel like today is Old Anime Fan Party Day!!! I just love having things to look forward to.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I know! Between this, Cobra and the new GiTS, I feel like today is Old Anime Fan Party Day!!! I just love having things to look forward to.

Indeed, not to mention all the classic/retro titles announced last year that Discotek & Nozomi will be releasing this year, Samuari Pizza Cats, Rose Of Versailles, Princess Knight, etc, etc & so on. Yes, I do believe 2013 shall suite me quite nicely! *chessy smile* Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Megiddo wrote:
Excellent. Now just need the latter half of New Files and my Patlabor collection will be complete.

The latter half of the New OVAs? Did you only buy (or were given) that first (and only, IIRC), bilingual, DVD single and skip the complete 3-disc set? Price? Timing? Lack of English audio?

Bought the first vol. single at a con quite a few years back thinking that I'd get the rest sometime later. Of course, that slipped my mind and when I did go looking for it I saw they only did the first volume in singles format. Have looked for the complete collection but it seems to be pretty hard to find, and quite expensive when I do find it.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
nightjuan wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Should help out those hesitant at buying it due to the large prize of the old CPM release.

That's one reason why I'm glad I didn't rush to buy an used copy of this last year. Hopefully they'll also have access to better quality video footage than that previous Patlabor release too.

If they're going to release it on bluray, they would have to have access to better masters. Perhaps they were able to get the original film masters, or perhaps a new digital copy of them.

The original OVA series was released in Japan back in 2010. I would have to presume Maiden Japan would have access to those masters used to release their version.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese HD transfer looks good, so I hope they're just using that. This might actually be a first, someone going back and relicensing a classic series that was released on BD in Japan. DVD happens all the time, but the Patlabor BDs have been around long enough now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
As the project to release the series and OVAs in Australia went awry last year, this news—tremendous indeed it is—shall be welcomed in more continents than it may initially seem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeguna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I own everything but the original OAV, so I will gladly preorder this and rebuy the rest should they come out. Weird though, I always forget Maiden Japan exists, but I'm glad to see Section23 pick up something I'm interested in.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

That would be a logical assumption, yes, but there have been cases where the U.S. release just doesn't look as good as the Japanese DVDs, let alone BDs, for various reasons...including, among others, the possibility of having received different materials. Stranger things have happened.

At any rate, I'm far from being the most nitpicking or demanding video expert myself.

Sentai doesn't do upscales on their own, so I doubt Maiden Japan would attempt them. If they didn't feel the release could produce at least a competent bluray, they probably wouldn't try. There is a difference between getting 1080i masters, like what has happened with Sentai in the past, and attempting to use the same materials as a 1990's era home video release. The Section 23 companies have had no issues releasing DVD only when they don't have access to appropriate materials.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yay!!!! Very Happy

I only have two of the films; I felt discouraged about trying to get the Central Park Media copy of the TV series but I'm glad the OVA is coming out!
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the ovas of this last night (I have the imported blu-ray disc which I bought last October)
Dare I double dip? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4