• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 Volume 3 Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Isn't calling it "Gunbuster 2" incorrect?

Anyway, it looks like things might finally get a bit serious in episode 3. Which is good, cause I'm sick of the goofy crap so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:35 am Reply with quote
It's Diebuster right? That's what it says during mid each episode.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I always call it Diebuster, cause if you're going to call it something without the "Aim for the Top" part, it's the correct name. I don't understand why this site and many others insist on calling it "Gunbuster 2".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
They are calling it this because it is a sequal to the original Gunbuster.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
thebaron

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
They are calling it this because it is a sequal to the original Gunbuster.

I saw the beginning of this show and it is terrible. Weak character designs and dislike the main character after only a few seconds of the watch the show.....
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
I don't understand why this site and many others insist on calling it "Gunbuster 2".

Because the majority of our readers know of it as Gunbuster 2. It was reasonably coined "Gunbuster 2" early on when news of a Gunbuster sequel was first leaked. Whatsmore, "Gunbuster 2" is more indicative of its noteworthiness than Diebuster. Since most of our readers won't recognize "Diebuster Trailer," we'd have to explain it every time. Frankly, tt makes more sense to write "Gunbuster 2 Trailer" than "Top wo Nerae 2! (Sequel of Top wo Nerae!, commonly known as Gunbuster) Trailer" every time we write about it.

You might be a elite individual who watches fansubs, knows the difference between トップをねらえ2! and トップをねらえ!, but the majority of the 100,000+ people who read this site regularly are fairly casual anime fans who will recognize Gunbuster 2, but not Diebuster.

Besides, I'm willing to bet you money it gets released in North America as Gunbuster 2.

-t
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment is sitting on the license to the original Gunbuster that it acquired from Streamline Pictures. Currently Manga claims they have no current plans to release Gunbuster on DVD.

So, based on this, who do you think might get Gunbuster 2?

FUNimation has recently mentioned that they want to pick up older anime series and ovas that they feel didn't get good treatment when they were released originally. Wonder if FUNimation might buy the rights to the original Gunbuster from Manga
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:
I don't understand why this site and many others insist on calling it "Gunbuster 2".

Because the majority of our readers know of it as Gunbuster 2. It was reasonably coined "Gunbuster 2" early on when news of a Gunbuster sequel was first leaked. Whatsmore, "Gunbuster 2" is more indicative of its noteworthiness than Diebuster. Since most of our readers won't recognize "Diebuster Trailer," we'd have to explain it every time. Frankly, tt makes more sense to write "Gunbuster 2 Trailer" than "Top wo Nerae 2! (Sequel of Top wo Nerae!, commonly known as Gunbuster) Trailer" every time we write about it.

You might be a elite individual who watches fansubs, knows the difference between トップをねらえ2! and トップをねらえ!, but the majority of the 100,000+ people who read this site regularly are fairly casual anime fans who will recognize Gunbuster 2, but not Diebuster.

Besides, I'm willing to bet you money it gets released in North America as Gunbuster 2.

-t

Makes sense to me. I can see where doing that would get annoying pretty quickly. I guess it's just that with me, I don't consider it so much a sequel of Gunbuster as just events that take place spoiler[some time during the 12,000 time jump Noriko and Kazumi go through]. And I'm not so elitist that I think you should call it "Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster" every time you refer to it. It only struck me as a bit unusual that what is technically an incorrect name is so commonly accepted as correct.
Kimura Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
June 24th...gah the wait is unbearable. Let's hope Nono got her own Buster Machine.
Otaprince

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
>it looks like things might finally get a bit serious in episode 3.

It could go either way. On the one hand, Nono will get a big pink Buster Machine that looks like a maid in a skirt. On the other, episode 3 will be directed by Tadashi Hiramatsu, a Gainax guy who usually favors a more lyrical, often more serious tone.

>Weak character designs

Well, they're by Sadamoto (character designer of Evangelion, FLCL, and most other Gainax), who I read is consciously trying to break out of the style he's been perfecting for the last few decades. The character designs, especially the costumes, are sometimes unorthodox, but they're growing on me.

> who do you think might get Gunbuster 2?

It's not Synch Point (who did the excellent FLCL release)-- they claim that someone else has already secured the rights. Maybe ADV, who licensed many of the last few Gainax creations: Eva Platinum, Abenobashi, the Notenki Memoirs, or maybe Pioneer/Geneon, who licensed Mahoromatic and Melody of Oblivion.

>cubs2084

your spoiler is speculation, but definitely possible.

>June 24th...gah the wait is unbearable.

It airs on Japanese TV on June 12, so maybe you'll see it sooner.

>Let's hope Nono got her own Buster Machine.

she does:) now she can stop crowding Raruka in Dix-Neuf.
Kimura Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Otaprince wrote:
>it looks like things might finally get a bit serious in episode 3.

It could go either way. On the one hand, Nono will get a big pink Buster Machine that looks like a maid in a skirt. On the other, episode 3 will be directed by Tadashi Hiramatsu, a Gainax guy who usually favors a more lyrical, often more serious tone.

>Weak character designs

Well, they're by Sadamoto (character designer of Evangelion, FLCL, and most other Gainax), who I read is consciously trying to break out of the style he's been perfecting for the last few decades. The character designs, especially the costumes, are sometimes unorthodox, but they're growing on me.

> who do you think might get Gunbuster 2?

It's not Synch Point (who did the excellent FLCL release)-- they claim that someone else has already secured the rights. Maybe ADV, who licensed many of the last few Gainax creations: Eva Platinum, Abenobashi, the Notenki Memoirs, or maybe Pioneer/Geneon, who licensed Mahoromatic and Melody of Oblivion.

>cubs2084

your spoiler is speculation, but definitely possible.

>June 24th...gah the wait is unbearable.

It airs on Japanese TV on June 12, so maybe you'll see it sooner.

>Let's hope Nono got her own Buster Machine.

she does:) now she can stop crowding Raruka in Dix-Neuf.

I like the characters design early in the series, since im massive addict of FLCL. Wonder if he (Sadamato) also design the mechs as well.

Im bit dissapointed since Synch Point/Brocolli/AnimeGamers didn't get the rights to Gunbuster 2. Their FLCL box set is excellent.

Hmm i wonder if Hideki Anno going to direct any of the future episodes (hey I can dream can I?)
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Outside of Japan, the original Aim for the Top! was never refered to as plain old Gunbuster as it is here in the US or a number of other coutries, despite the fact that the name of the show's mecha was prominently displayed in the eye-catch and main title screens. When news of the sequel began to filter out from Gainax, a lot of diehard fans (including myself) thought that this would be a follow up to the adventures of Noriko and Kazumi, hence the naming of the sequel as Gunbuster 2. I don't think it would be elitist to call the series by its true name, which is simply Aim for the Top! 2. Maybe we should also start getting used to the fact that we should drop the Gunbuster name and start calling it Diebuster if we want to shorten it.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Manga Entertainment is sitting on the license to the original Gunbuster that it acquired from Streamline Pictures. Currently Manga claims they have no current plans to release Gunbuster on DVD.

So, based on this, who do you think might get Gunbuster 2?

FUNimation has recently mentioned that they want to pick up older anime series and ovas that they feel didn't get good treatment when they were released originally. Wonder if FUNimation might buy the rights to the original Gunbuster from Manga

Manga Entertainment acquired the licensing rights to Aim for the Top from US Renditions, not Streamline Pictures. And as for the license, there is speculation that Manga has not even retained the rights. There is no mention of Gunbuster at all on any part of their website. Nothing at all. Why keep the licensing rights to an anime that is still vastly popular among the anime community, but not release it? If Manga was going to release it on DVD, I feel they would have done so long ago, as they have done with so many of their older titles, such as Dangaioh and Black Magic M-66 (Both of these titles pale in comparison to Gunbuster). And then you get such responses as "Oh, it will be a 2 disc set released in November," or "We have special plans to release Gunbuster when the time is right," in e-mails answered or questions asked directly to people who work for Manga. So I am inclined to believe Manga lost the license to this anime series.

Face it, Gunbuster has a bleak future here in North America. The only way I could see it getting released here is if Bandai gets off of its collective arse and releases the new remastered set. After all, they do own the series. And, if FUnimation did acquire the rights in the future, they would have to do one hell of a job in making sure fans of the series are not displeased. I mean, all one has to do is look at what Manga did to both Evangelion movies, the Macross Plus movie, Dangaioh, and countless other series.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
Then shall we compel ANN to add (license expired) next to Manga Entertainment?

Recently, back on October 22nd of last year, Victor Entertainment Japan released a remasted DVD set of Gunbuster.

Oh, I know what Manga did to the Macross Plus movie (hard matted subtitles, no dub), but what did they do that was so bad to the Evangelion movies?

And when I asked about Gunbuster mid last year, they said they had no plans on releasing it.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Then shall we compel ANN to add (license expired) next to Manga Entertainment?

That might be jumping the gun. I'd wait until we're all fully aware of that. Still, I wouldn't doubt it. I pray someone like Media Blasters gets it eventually, as they've done a great job with Giant Robo (which Manga had been sitting on for years) and Iczer 1.

Manga did a great job with the Evangelion movies - they're among their better releases. If there was something wrong with them, I sure didn't notice. It's such a shame I can't say the same for poor Dangaio. I have to stick with my old VHS releases forever, it seems. :(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2