Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Ayesha Slated for March 5 With English Dub Only


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sakura-Alchemist



Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 479
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
/~*snip*~/

Quote:
The main reason people are complaining is because they had the luxury of being able to choose and went straight to the Japanese track without giving the English track a fair chance. Now their first choice may be taken away from them and now they'll have to adjust to that scary second option they know next to nothing about.

I mean, honestly people, the dubs of the Arland series have been just fine and if NISA was indeed in charge of the localisation of Atelier Ayesha, I don't think there's any need to worry. Personally, I like many of the characters better in English, especially the girls. They sound less fake.


You just ignore that only about 50% of the game is even voiced in a dub. Its inferior that way, and theres no real argument there. Thats actually one of my biggest concerns here... I'm too used to every single scene being voiced, even talking to shopkeepers and such, that it'll just be so annoying to have entire scenes where nobody is talking. A visual novel style game without voices for every line just isn't acceptable these days.

/~*snip*~/


This is exactly why I always played the Atelier games with Japanese audio. It wasn't that the English voices were bad, I switched back and forth between English and Japanese but in the end I stuck with the Japanese because I couldn't stand the lack of voice acting/partial dub. I mean why would I put up with that when the Japanese is full voice and an option.

---

This is really unfortunate though, I was more excited for this game just because my bro thought it looked nice and was interested in playing. ( One of those rare occurrences where our interests over lapped. )

Inb4 the game doesn't sell as well, and Tecmo KOEI blames it on lack of a market rather then themselves doing a crappy job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Alright, first of all: This is really stupid. A game like this NEEDS to have the original Japanese track at least. That's non-negotiable. I'd prefer sub only over dub-only, unless it's Persona.

Now:

Quote:
Those anime dubbers ARE bottom of the barrel. Theres a reason why they are stuck dubbing incredibly niche cartoons over getting actual reputable acting jobs.


>Liam O' Brien
>bottom of the barrel

>It's possible to actually be this ignorant

Quote:
Many people are also fans of seiyuu over english voice actors which also stirs up some excitement when you see someone you like/well known.


Same thing happens when a dub gets a well-known dub actor to play in it. It's not exclusive to seiyuu fans.

Quote:
Now I'd be stuck with one of the couple female dubbers who can't do moe voices right instead of Inoues beautiful voice.


I could name quite a few English actresses whose voices I find moe but it's not like anybody would actually listen.

Quote:
Or they gave up on the English track a long time ago. I was playing Atelier Iris 1 fairly recently. That game defaults to English every time you start it up. I sometimes forgot about this, but always switched to Japanese over the first combat. The characters had different personalities in English, and were LOUDER.


Personally, I've always found Japanese acting to be MUCH louder and ham-filled than English acting. Quite often Seiyuu even in normal works will YELL ALL EMOTIONALLY-CHARGED LINES LIKE THIS or they'll stretch out a syllable reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far and it sometimes grates on my nerves. It's definitely good sometimes but they do it even in goddamn slice-of-life stuff, jesus christ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naninanino



Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 680
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Why do people always have to start talking about how much they hate one voice track or the other? Are they really that stupid or do they just pretend to be?

Jesus Christ, it is a preference and can't be debated. Everyone has the right to it and they don't owe TK or trolls any explanations. No Japanese voices in my japanese moeblob game? No buy. I don't care how good the eng track is, I wouldn't even get it if it was better (like someone can make that call).

This ain't Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear Solid. This isn't some mech/flight simulator or beat em up. It's completely meaningless to pretend to "not get it", unless someone really is that dense. Atelier is in no way or form a "special case" like those others. It's the same as releasing an anime, let's say K-on (except with more narrow appeal) with eng dub only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do people always have to start talking about how much they hate one voice track or the other? Are they really that stupid or do they just pretend to be?


Human beings, by nature, like being inside special little groups. And when they're in their special little group, the easiest way for them to justify choosing that group over all others is denigrating everyone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1521
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Since I'm hearing that its NISA usually business with the dub and not TK doing anything to it, I'm alright with that. Still concerned with other things, like if NISA did the programming or anything like that. Mainly want NISA hand in the localization in the game to be as high as possible.

I understand those who wouldn't get it. I'm in the camp of having to watch DW series on Youtube now due to TK actions these days. Not sure if they'll listen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
DomonX2



Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 232
Location: Neo Toronto, Neo Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those anime dubbers ARE bottom of the barrel. Theres a reason why they are stuck dubbing incredibly niche cartoons over getting actual reputable acting jobs.


You're obviously a dub hater, I presume. Michelle Ruff is bottom of the barrel, you say? You need do some serious research and find out how prolific she is. How is voicing two main characters in two of the most popular Gundam series(Gundam F91 and Gundam 8th MS team) in the US, "niche?" How is voicing one of the most important characters, in one of the most popular Bandai licensed(Yuki Nagato from Haruhi) shows in the US "niche?" Also, she has a lot credits in video games, played a major character in BlazBlue(which is quite popular in the US) and many more. She's a veteran voice actress and a DAMN good dubber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:
Those anime dubbers ARE bottom of the barrel. Theres a reason why they are stuck dubbing incredibly niche cartoons over getting actual reputable acting jobs.


You're obviously a dub hater, I presume. Michelle Ruff is bottom of the barrel, you say? You need do some serious research and find out how prolific she is. How is voicing two main characters in two of the most popular Gundam series(Gundam F91 and Gundam 8th MS team) in the US, "niche?" How is voicing one of the most important characters, in one of the most popular Bandai licensed(Yuki Nagato from Haruhi) shows in the US "niche?" Also, she has a lot credits in video games, played a major character in BlazBlue(which is quite popular in the US) and many more. She's a veteran voice actress and a DAMN good dubber.


All of those things you mentioned are niche in America. The most recent Blazblue sold like 15k copies in the NPD numbers.

The more reputable and higher level actors are the ones getting jobs in the more popular Japanese games and Western titles. You're not going to see a Michelle Ruff in a Grand Theft Auto or Mass Effect because she's not talented enough to pass those auditions, while the higher level actors don't bother with the niche titles, leaving the lesser actors to do those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2499
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
These games routinely sell under 20,000 units in North America. You cannot blame publishers for not wanting to dub the entire game. I'm surprised this hasn't gone digital-only like most of the Muso games by now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DomonX2



Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 232
Location: Neo Toronto, Neo Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"]
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:
Those anime dubbers ARE bottom of the barrel. Theres a reason why they are stuck dubbing incredibly niche cartoons over getting actual reputable acting jobs.


You're obviously a dub hater, I presume. Michelle Ruff is bottom of the barrel, you say? You need do some serious research and find out how prolific she is. How is voicing two main characters in two of the most popular Gundam series(Gundam F91 and Gundam 8th MS team) in the US, "niche?" How is voicing one of the most important characters, in one of the most popular Bandai licensed(Yuki Nagato from Haruhi) shows in the US "niche?" Also, she has a lot credits in video games, played a major character in BlazBlue(which is quite popular in the US) and many more. She's a veteran voice actress and a DAMN good dubber.


Quote:
All of those things you mentioned are niche in America. The most recent Blazblue sold like 15k copies in the NPD numbers.


Gundam 8th MS Team in the USA, is niche? When I read this statement, I laughed my ass off. . Haruhi, which has been stated by Bandai Entertainment, to be on their top 5 most successful properties in the US, is niche? Again, you're making yourself look really stupid, by saying this.

Quote:
The more reputable and higher level actors are the ones getting jobs in the more popular Japanese games and Western titles. You're not going to see a Michelle Ruff in a Grand Theft Auto or Mass Effect because she's not talented enough to pass those auditions, while the higher level actors don't bother with the niche titles, leaving the lesser actors to do those.


By your asinine logic(or lack thereof), if a game/cartoon is popular, you have top tier name voice actors, but if a game is not, you have talentless hacks/low tier voice actors? Reeaaaaaal smart nice logic there pal. Because everybody knows Keanu Reeves is SO top tier at what he does, since he is in blockbusters after all! At least she's an actual voice actress. Unlike in FF and Kingdom Hearts, where most of their "voice actors"are just Hollywood celebrities and live action actors. These guys can't even match lip flaps properly(unless Square alters mouth movements), while a quote, unquote "bottom of the barrel" voice actor like Crispin Freeman did it, without second thought and he didn't need altering to do it. You seriously need to think about what you're saying, you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Gundam 8th MS Team in the USA, is niche? When I read this statement, I laughed my ass off. . Haruhi, which has been stated by Bandai Entertainment, to be on their top 5 most successful properties in the US, is niche? Again, you're making yourself look really stupid, by saying this.


Niche means that the average American won't know what something is. Ask the average person on the street if they know what Gundam 8th MS Team is... they'd have no idea what you're talking about. I mean hell, I'm a big anime fan but I don't even know what makes Gundam 8th MS Team any different from any of the others or any of its characters since I'm not into those types of anime. Thus, its niche... even in Japan, anime is niche since very little of the population actually watches it. Late night anime tops out at generally 2-3% of the total popular watching it, making it niche.

Do you really think that anime is mainstream over here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ryan, shame on you! You told me you weren't a sub purist! All three Iris games had professional voices and Rorona is actually quite good in English (I own it and have played a tremendous portion of it to this point).

Julie Maddalena is a very cute and believable Rorona.
Bosch as Iksel, enough said.
Bailey as Lionela, she's fabulous.
Wendee Lee as Cordelia, what's not to love, it's frickin' Wendee Lee.
Liam O'Brien as Sterk, hell yes.
Michelle Ruff as Astrid, captures her perfectly.
Mona Marshall as Hom and various other voices.

You call this bottom of the barrel? O_o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Julie Maddalena is a very cute and believable Rorona.


I prefer Kadowaki.

Quote:
Wendee Lee as Cordelia, what's not to love, it's frickin' Wendee Lee.


she's not Eri Kitamura. Eri Kitamura is one of those few seiyuu I watch a show for regardless.

The other ones listed I have no real feelings for the original actors.. Liam O'Brien is probably better as Stark, but thats the only voice I preferred when I once tried out Totori in the dub. The rest were pretty meh to earcancer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to turn this into one of those "stop disliking what I like" and "stop liking what I dislike" things, but I'll respect your opinion if can you respect people prefer dubs in their games, okay?

Besides, this whole thing is quite strange. Considering the trend is now suddenly broken, Tecmo Koei obviously isn't thinking this through.


Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamaria



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 1512
Location: De Achterhoek
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Gundam 8th MS Team in the USA, is niche? When I read this statement, I laughed my ass off. . Haruhi, which has been stated by Bandai Entertainment, to be on their top 5 most successful properties in the US, is niche? Again, you're making yourself look really stupid, by saying this.


Niche means that the average American won't know what something is. Ask the average person on the street if they know what Gundam 8th MS Team is... they'd have no idea what you're talking about. I mean hell, I'm a big anime fan but I don't even know what makes Gundam 8th MS Team any different from any of the others or any of its characters since I'm not into those types of anime. Thus, its niche... even in Japan, anime is niche since very little of the population actually watches it. Late night anime tops out at generally 2-3% of the total popular watching it, making it niche.

Do you really think that anime is mainstream over here?


Stuff like Bleach is pretty big and half of the VA's mentioned are in that as well.

Seriously, if I have any problem with those VA's, it's that they're in almost everything Japan related. But hey, that also means they get plenty of work. Which means they have plenty experience. Plus, they seem to genuinely enjoy working in this part of the animation/videogame industry, why would you insult them for that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Good grief. As someone who pretty much only watches anime in Japanese and generally switches to the Japanese audio in games if given the option, the dubs for the Arland Atelier games were fine.

I wish people on both sides of the aisle but particularly the ones that prefer Japanese audio (of which I am one) would realize that this really isn't about the dub *quality*. It's about *preference*. For those that have a preference for the Japanese audio, the English audio is often going to sound awkward or off no matter what the "quality" is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group