• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Ayesha Slated for March 5 With English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I wish people on both sides of the aisle but particularly the ones that prefer Japanese audio (of which I am one) would realize that this really isn't about the dub *quality*. It's about *preference*.

The fact that the game only dubs about 50% of the text IS a quality issue. Unless you're saying its a preference to have half the game text only.

Thats one of my biggest issues with this. If it was a full dub, like Tales, I'd be okay with that. I wouldn't like it, but I'd still buy the game. But a halfass dub AND removing the original track? Yeah, not supporting that.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The fact that the game only dubs about 50% of the text IS a quality issue. Unless you're saying its a preference to have half the game text only.

Actually, that might be my preference. In my opinion the music is one of the best parts of the Atelier games, so I'd rather not have characters talk through it unless they have something important to say Anime hyper

In any case, Japanese or English, I don't care all that much as long as what's there is good. I'm just glad this game is getting a (physical) release.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

The fact that the game only dubs about 50% of the text IS a quality issue.

Yes and no. It's a separate issue from the quality of the actual voice acting, which is what people are usually arguing about, including these recent posts in this thread.

Quote:
Thats one of my biggest issues with this. If it was a full dub, like Tales, I'd be okay with that. I wouldn't like it, but I'd still buy the game. But a halfass dub AND removing the original track? Yeah, not supporting that.

That's my biggest concern, and it was the main reason I switched to JP audio in Neptunia Mk2 about 10-15 hours into the game. But it hasn't really been an issue in the Arland games, which also were partial dubs. So I'll wait until I play the game or hear concrete information that they're dubbing less than previous games before I get worried or bothered by this aspect.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

But Ryan, the problem stems from paying the actors for every bit of voiced dialog from the original Japanese version. Keep in mind Symphonia, Abyss and Legendia didn't have the money for voicing the skits and the character quests respectively.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Alright, first of all: This is really stupid. A game like this NEEDS to have the original Japanese track at least. That's non-negotiable. I'd prefer sub only over dub-only, unless it's Persona.
Now:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Or they gave up on the English track a long time ago. I was playing Atelier Iris 1 fairly recently. That game defaults to English every time you start it up. I sometimes forgot about this, but always switched to Japanese over the first combat. The characters had different personalities in English, and were LOUDER.

Personally, I've always found Japanese acting to be MUCH louder and ham-filled than English acting. Quite often Seiyuu even in normal works will YELL ALL EMOTIONALLY-CHARGED LINES LIKE THIS or they'll stretch out a syllable reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far and it sometimes grates on my nerves. It's definitely good sometimes but they do it even in goddamn slice-of-life stuff, jesus christ.

You haven't played Atelier Iris 1, then? It isn't that the actors were yelling, it's that the the English voice track was maybe 10dB louder overall than the Japanese voice track. I'd call it an error on the part of Gust and NISA, who probably hadn't thought about keeping the two tracks balanced, since this was Gust's first dual-audio game.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that phenomenon (English tracks being much louder than Japanese tracks) seems to be pretty common, at least to the PS2 generation of games.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Stuff like Bleach is pretty big and half of the VA's mentioned are in that as well.

Seriously, if I have any problem with those VA's, it's that they're in almost everything Japan related. But hey, that also means they get plenty of work. Which means they have plenty experience. Plus, they seem to genuinely enjoy working in this part of the animation/videogame industry, why would you insult them for that?

That line of reasoning is based on some very specious logic. At least as far as anime performances go, one need not go any further than this very site's own most prolific cast listing to see the hard numbers. I've yet to hear people complaining about, say, Takehito Koyasu or Shinichiro Miki or Kikuko Inoue being in everything, yet I hear those complaints being directed against Anglophone actors with significantly smaller portfolios. Biased much?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Biased much?

More like completely unbalanced numbers. How many anime get an R1 dubbed released each year VS actually air in Japan each year? Japan airs over 100 anime a year... I don't think American companies releases anywhere near that many new dubs a year. So while hearing Steven Blum or someone in 5 dubs a year might be overkill, a seiyuu being in 5 shows out of 150 a year really isn't. Especially if you factor in certain companies can only use certain studios, so you might get more Texas VAs than usual because more companies are closer to them. Is there a list of which dubs came out in 2012? Would make for an interesting comparison.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
I guess I opened a can of worms I didn't intend to open...

Look, I play loads of JRPGs and the publishers of those games often fish from the same VA pond. Sometimes I hear certain voice actors in like five games in a row without even trying to. That's a bit much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5