• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Scrapped Princess DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, somebody said that it was going to be with DVD #6, but yeah, the only good that come from the box itself is that it can hold some of the manga I desparately need a shelf for.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, ok. Thats good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
What does anyone who got the Special Edition to get the figurine think of it? I wasn't all that impressed with the look of it, which is why I only got the regular edition.

But then, I'm not big on figurines and knick-knacks. (Although I did find and pick up a Joken plushie last weekend. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Some of the stuff you get are actually pretty useful.

Burst Angel boxset had a Cellphone strap/key chain strap. I used it as a cellphone strap. It has Jo and Megumi in Chibi form on two little danglers attached to it, and the strap says "Burst Angel"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What does anyone who got the Special Edition to get the figurine think of it?

I love collectables and action figures, and I wasn't really that impressed with the detail or quality of the figure that came with the Special Edition DVDs. It looks nice enough from far away, though. I think I'll appreciate it more and more when the series starts to grow on me (it's already starting to Wink). Speaking of collectables, I'm secretly saving up for this for my bf's b-day and this for myself...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:

I love collectables and action figures, and I wasn't really that impressed with the detail or quality of the figure that came with the Special Edition DVDs. It looks nice enough from far away, though. I think I'll appreciate it more and more when the series starts to grow on me (it's already starting to Wink). Speaking of collectables, I'm secretly saving up for this for my bf's b-day and this for myself...

Pacifica's... chest seems a bit out of proportion, and the detail work for her face could have been better, but all in all, it is a nice figure for the price.

I really like that Nadia figure, but somehow, Hitomi's face seems a bit off to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
It's a great, great figure and certainly far better than I expected a figure that comes with a DVD to be. When I heard about it, I figured it'd be one of those cheap plastic little things, but this...this is truly awesome. Well worth getting.

I like extra crap. They're like cereal box prizes, only you have to pay more! I'm still not sure what to do with my New Getter Robo bandana that came with the artbox, though...but hell, I'm not complaining - it's a damned good artbox. Oh, Geneon, you crazy banditos!
biliano

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What does anyone who got the Special Edition to get the figurine think of it? I wasn't all that impressed with the look of it, which is why I only got the regular edition.

I think the Pacifica figure is pretty cool, although it's a bit tall. I have her next to my PC to keep me "company" while I'm working. Wink

Key wrote:
khryoleoz mentioned her as being flat, but I think it would be more accurate to say that her performance was inconsistent. Too sharp in places, too flat in others.

Now that I thought about it, you're both probably right. Not that I think that Michelle Ruff is a bad VA, because she's an excellent performer, but there are some characters where even the best VAs will struggle to get the voice done right. I feel the same way with Hilary Haag's performance dubbing Sister Princess' Karen. She's brilliant in her most recognizable roles (Ryo in Princess Nine, Tessa in Full Metal Panic!, and of course Rosette in Chrono Crusade), but I felt that she struggled to get the essence of Karen, and I view this more so to the nature of the character rather than the ability of the actor. Obviously I'm in the minority concerning Michelle Ruff's dubbing of Winia, but so far in the series, her performance is working for me.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:

Pacifica's... chest seems a bit out of proportion, and the detail work for her face could have been better, but all in all, it is a nice figure for the price.

I really like that Nadia figure, but somehow, Hitomi's face seems a bit off to me.

The statue version of her is bustier than what she appears to be in the anime, but I don't think it seems out of proportion.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Naming conventions are Western-sounding, with nary a hint of anything Japanese.

I just thought I would point out that the names in SutePuri are all taken from military hardware, which explains why they are mostly "western-sounding". The three siblings hail from the Casull family, and others are Leopold Scopes (Leo), Winia Chester, Christopher Armalite (Chris), Doyle Baretta (the old knight/doctor). spoiler[You also get the four Peacemakers - Socom, Cz, Galil, and Steyr.]

The list goes on and on...
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Quote:

I just thought I would point out that the names in SutePuri are all taken from military hardware, which explains why they are mostly "western-sounding". The three siblings hail from the Casull family, and others are Leopold Scopes (Leo), Winia Chester, Christopher Armalite (Chris), Doyle Baretta (the old knight/doctor). spoiler[You also get the four Peacemakers - Socom, Cz, Galil, and Steyr.]

Now that you mention it, I think I have heard that before - and now that I look more carefully at the names, it's pretty obvious, too.

Hmmm. Gonna have to remember to mention that when I review vol. 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Quote:

It might be worth noting that all this is already mentioned in the Encyclopedia in the trivia section for Scrapped Princess. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Of course, how many people actually check the encyclopedia entries? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, Pacifica-chan does seem to have a more...developed figure. I can't wait for the Shannon one, though. He has to look totally stoned, right?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Of course, how many people actually check the encyclopedia entries? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, Pacifica-chan does seem to have a more...developed figure. I can't wait for the Shannon one, though. He has to look totally stoned, right?

Well, the only two large figures we can expect will be of Raquel and Pacifica, though maybe he'll come as a smaller figure?
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The statue version of her is bustier than what she appears to be in the anime, but I don't think it seems out of proportion.

Her bust appears to be closer to how Mogudan draws it.

God bless that man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3