• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Vast Wasteland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Just because we get paid to cite our opinions, doesn't mean we think our opinion is better than yours.

Well, Roger Ebert has forgotten more about films than most people'll ever know and he still kicks my arse at the breadth and depth of his knowledge. Not just trivia like who directed who in what, or what the major studios are. Not just what he knows about the behind-the-scenes aspects such as special effects, foley, editing, sound, lighting. Not just the cinematography techniques (pans, zooms, et cetera). Not just how well the film was directed, or how well the narrative flowed, or how well the film's structure was set up. He kicks my arse at everything. His opinions are backed up by four or five decades of film reviewing. That's why when he speaks, people listen, because he knows what he's talking about. Brian, do you honestly believe that your opinion on Anime matters less than some random punk who believes Naruto is the best Anime ever made and that One Piece sucks? Or somebody who has just gotten into the fandom and knows nothing about anything? Okay then, what about your own parents? You saying that their opinions about Anime are just as good as your own?

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
in 5 years anime be renamed moeme.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about how the future of anime will cause reflections on the recent past, when Queen's Blade can be considered a classic.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I think in the Future Of Anime then we'll be seeing more of what we're starting to see now, where creators are getting the hang of what will make money and what won't and are working in those parameters to do really cool and creative things. Like, they realize that in order to sell units and merch then filling the cast with cute girls or hunks styled by well-liked character designers is a good idea, and so they design their show around that stuff, but then in the realms of animation and writing they just do their own thing, experiment and make good art! Wouldn't that be nice and totally awesome? I think we're already seeing a bunch of shows like that and it makes me happy!

(Of course, I hope they still make stuff that ISN'T guaranteed to sell, too! I never want to see weird daring dark-horse shows or shoujo/josei anime go away.)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
creators are getting the hang of what will make money and what won't and are working in those parameters to do really cool and creative things.

I think it is very hard to create anime that will both sell a ton and be creative. They only examples I can think of are Bakemonogatari and Madoka Magica. Honestly, I think that the more anime becomes a cash cow, the less creative it will be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Honestly, I think that the more anime becomes a cash cow, the less creative it will be.

No, I don't think that's strictly true. While tight budgets do help creativity (Shinbo's style partly came about because he had to get around very tight budgets), lots of cash can be a boon. Think about it; when money is tight most directors who aren't insane like Shinbo will play it safe. But when money is plentiful then those with the chequebooks are less risk-averse and will fund more niche and experimental works.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Or, perhaps more succinctly, by-the-numbers shows may sell enough to cover costs, but they'll never be huge; if you want the next megahit, you've got to take some risks.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
Why are people such bullies when it comes to shows they don't like? Personally I try as much as possible to avoid stuff I don't like instead of watching or reading it just to complain.

I have never watched a show that I thought I would not like. [...] However, there are plenty of time when I have watched really bad anime that I thought I would have liked.

See, and that seems like a normal response to me. I just don't get how there are people out there who dedicate blogs (time) to watching and writing scathing reviews about shows they absolutely despise. I get the humor angle of it, I suppose, but when (for example) my friend used to write me rant-y emails of why the latest episode of Inu Yasha was killing her soul, she still had this Stockholm syndrome love for it that made sense as to why she kept watching it.

Don't get me wrong, my friends and I indulge in "crappy movie night" from time to time, but that's like 2 hours of our life that we're "wasting" in that sense....not like 13-26 (or more) episodes worth of hours dedicated to screen capping and writing coherent rants. If I hate a show, I just don't watch it. Why torture myself for attention?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...older anime, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, ...

Don't make me feel old, man! It seems like only yesterday I was enjoying these for the first time. When I hear "older anime" I'm thinking, like pre-1980's.

As for the super-popular unlicensables:

* Doraemon - I've watched it a time or two and can take it or leave it, though quite a few of the younger students at the school where I teach like it.
* Sazae-san - Ah, the opening theme that each Sunday evening serves notice for Japan that the weekend is almost over. I like it well enough, and was saddened to hear of the passing of Norisuke's voice actor. The whole cast is getting up in years. This and Chibi Maruko-chan are actually two of the best anime to watch if you're studying Japanese. You come into contact with all kinds of useful, everyday words and expressions that almost never turn up in textbooks, and see many examples of how regular Japanese people interact with one another. (You'll learn words you won't find in textbooks watching Naruto, too, but a lot of those will be absolutely useless in everday life. Basically, if it's used in Sazae-san, it's worth learning.)
* Chibi Maruko-chan - My favorite of the three. Like Sazae-san, it's about a traditional three-generation family, but IMO it's funnier and at times has a bit more of an edge to it than Sazae-san. Maruko's dad can be a pretty insensitive jerk sometimes, and this isn't always just played for laughs. The children in the show often act in exaggerated ways, but at other times capture really nice aspects of what it's like to be a child. Also, the way the narrator often cuts in with well-placed comments about what's going on (often calling characters' stated motives into question, or flat-out disagreeing with things they say) cracks me up.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Quote:
...older anime, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, ...

Don't make me feel old, man! It seems like only yesterday I was enjoying these for the first time. When I hear "older anime" I'm thinking, like pre-1980's.

I'd consider anything pre late-night anime era as old.. and that started in 98, so Cowboy Bebop barely makes the cut. Digital animation taking over was about that time as well, and you can tell quite a difference between the older hand drawn and digital animation. But Eva is a couple years before that so I'd say thats an older anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'd consider anything pre late-night anime era as old.. and that started in 98, so Cowboy Bebop barely makes the cut. Digital animation taking over was about that time as well, and you can tell quite a difference between the older hand drawn and digital animation. But Eva is a couple years before that so I'd say thats an older anime.

My understanding of the situation is that Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first successful late-night Anime, and the first late-night show that fans discussed online in any sizeable number as it was airing.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
My understanding of the situation is that Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first successful late-night Anime, and the first late-night show that fans discussed online in any sizeable number as it was airing.

I don't know where you got that from, because Eva was not a late-night anime when it debuted. It had a very good prime-time slot, and, in fact, "modern-day" late-night anime wouldn't really happen until late 1996 with Those Who Hunt Elves, almost half a year after Eva finished its original TV run in early 1996.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
People born the year Evangelion aired will be turning 18 this year, I think that is around when you can qualify something as "old"

Also I realize that Evangelion is now 3 times as old as it was when I first watched it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Nah, its more like Evangelion was the anime that showed that otaku oriented anime could be a big seller and also sell tons of merchandise, so companies started to go away from the more mainstream stuff and started to work more on otaku oriented anime. There were a couple late night anime that happened in 96 and 97, like another poster stated, but it wasn't until 98 when they started to have full late night schedules full of anime.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Evangelion was not a late night anime. It was a children's show that aired on the same block as the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Sunday afternoons.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4