• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jonathan and Taliesin's Excellent Adventure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
@ the intro section Bakemonogatari was after K-on!'s first season, and much bigger. I supose you could count K-on!! though, but that wasn't as big a hit.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This was a interesting podcast. I like that disclaimer, it makes me laugh a little. Laughing

Anyway, the Alucard-Arucard confusion was kind of interesting to hear. I'm glad to hear that New Generation Picture is still alive and kicking. It sad after Geneon withdraw from US branch, they couldn't dub anymore anime but resort to dub video game. I hope they get to dub somewhere in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
For those interested in the William Shatner voice session mentioned, it's right here, as it appeared on the Howard Stern show (which is where I heard it).
http://someaudioguy.podomatic.com/entry/2007-03-21T21_12_51-07_00

Pretty funny stuff. Shatner isn't exactly known for being a pleasant guy to work with, but you can't help but side with him on this one.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Escaflowne could use a new dub. Yes. That's one of the few shows that I just don't want to watch in English, and there's plenty of shows I like to watch in English that get called horrible dubs.

I thought the Escaflowne dub was okay. Tolerable, at least. Kirby Morrow, Andrew Francis, and Paul Dobson all put in solid performances. Some of the other VAs clearly didn't, though.
the one that ruined that dub for me was Dilandau. He went from being menacingly insane in Japanese to sounding like bratty little kid in English.
I confess I haven't listened to a lot of dubs recently. My habit has always been to watch sub first then dub upon rewatching and I haven't had much time to rewatch any series lately. Read or Die is one of those shows on my rewatch list.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Escaflowne could use a new dub. Yes. That's one of the few shows that I just don't want to watch in English, and there's plenty of shows I like to watch in English that get called horrible dubs.

I thought the Escaflowne dub was okay. Tolerable, at least. Kirby Morrow, Andrew Francis, and Paul Dobson all put in solid performances. Some of the other VAs clearly didn't, though.
the one that ruined that dub for me was Dilandau. He went from being menacingly insane in Japanese to sounding like bratty little kid in English.
I confess I haven't listened to a lot of dubs recently. My habit has always been to watch sub first then dub upon rewatching and I haven't had much time to rewatch any series lately. Read or Die is one of those shows on my rewatch list.

I'm the opposite. I loved Dilandau's English dub. "Bratty little kid" sounded about right for his character. As for the insane part, well, it was already obvious.

Glad to hear from Taliesin that he's waiting on Funi and wants to start back up again with original cast. *keeps fingers crossed* If there's one anime I've been anticipating, it's the rest of Hellsing Ultimate. But it's so rare to hear any news about it now, i'm beginning to wonder if i'm the only one who still cares.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Not showing up in iTunes for me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Not showing up in iTunes for me.

Yeah, we've been having some weirdness lately with the iTunes RSS - it showed up in my usual iTunes subscription, but I noticed it isn't on the show's iTunes page at all. I have no idea what's up, I'll have to bug Dan.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
good ANNCast--lordy, where does the time go?! R.O.D. the TV... R.O.D. was responsible for getting me back into anime in 04'-05'. I happened to catch the R.O.D. OVA on cable, and for a guy who's last exposure to anime was Voltron and Star Blazers when he was younger, I was floored.

It was all down hill after that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Great ANNCast Smile Loved hearing from these guys behind some totally fantastic dubs and two of my favorites in Hellsing and RODTV's dubs.

Nice disclaimer lol.

Ah the Alucard-Arucard section, somehow their discussion was what I was imagining, I could feel their pain. Thank god they fought for the dub to pronounce it properly Smile

rinmackie wrote:
Glad to hear from Taliesin that he's waiting on Funi and wants to start back up again with original cast. *keeps fingers crossed* If there's one anime I've been anticipating, it's the rest of Hellsing Ultimate. But it's so rare to hear any news about it now, i'm beginning to wonder if i'm the only one who still cares.

Yeah, I forget which show but when I saw his name pop up in some Funimation credits for the first time (Later Edit: I think it was in the credit role of my Sengoku Basara Blu-ray?), and how Funi had joined with Geneon at the end to release the last volume they got out while Geneon collapsed and the new volumes have now finally ended up with them, I'd finally felt hopeful about one of the best casts ever hopefully reuniting for the first time, since the show ended up in a place Taliesin had some connection with. I hope they can work it out.

Oh you're definitely not the only one, I still think the return of the Hellsing dub cast is one of the more asked for things whenever Hellsing comes up (I hope my perception of that is right so that Funi's getting the same impression that we want it but just as importantly we want that dub cast back, and even the podcast outline says inevitable Hellsing chat lol), and I'd rather wait as long as it takes to get the entire main cast back than get it sooner, to me the Hellsing dub cast is irreplaceable.

mdo7 wrote:
This was a interesting podcast. I like that disclaimer, it makes me laugh a little. Laughing

Anyway, the Alucard-Arucard confusion was kind of interesting to hear. I'm glad to hear that New Generation Picture is still alive and kicking. It sad after Geneon withdraw from US branch, they couldn't dub anymore anime but resort to dub video game. I hope they get to dub somewhere in the future.

Too true, another sad huge hit from the loss of Geneon, the loss of new New Gen anime dubs. Sad

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For those interested in the William Shatner voice session mentioned, it's right here, as it appeared on the Howard Stern show (which is where I heard it).
http://someaudioguy.podomatic.com/entry/2007-03-21T21_12_51-07_00

Pretty funny stuff. Shatner isn't exactly known for being a pleasant guy to work with, but you can't help but side with him on this one.

Sounds like he almost made that man cry. Awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Great episode. R.O.D the TV is easily my favorite English dub of all time. Animax Asia aired it a few years back. For some reason they quit showing U.S. dubs, dunno if it's some licensing thing, even for Aniplex shows.

(Won't be getting the Blu-ray set since I still don't have an HD set-up and I already have the DVDs.)

Haibane Renmei was another U.S. dub that Animax aired, but I never really got into it despite the yuri factor.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Fun podcast, and yeah the Beck dub was a masterpiece given all the effort and extra work put in.

It was so good for me, that I kind of look down on dubs that do not go to that much effort.

If you are going to dub it, do a good job.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Great episode. R.O.D the TV is easily my favorite English dub of all time. Animax Asia aired it a few years back. For some reason they quit showing U.S. dubs, dunno if it's some licensing thing, even for Aniplex shows.

(Won't be getting the Blu-ray set since I still don't have an HD set-up and I already have the DVDs.)

Haibane Renmei was another U.S. dub that Animax aired, but I never really got into it despite the yuri factor.

Yeah I really love the R.O.D The TV dubs..BTW Haibane Renmei english dubs on Animax Asia wasn't really an U.S dubs cause its dubbed in Singapore and its really awful!

One of the underrated English dubs of New Generation Pictures is Angel Tales..
jonathan c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I thought the Read or Die TV English dub was okay, but the Hellsing dub was way, way better. ROD TV's dub doesn't blow me away like Hellsing's does. It's decent at best.

I have watched this show with dub, and i completely agree.

i watched it and thought the dub was really meh. the Japanese cast is all around much better. not unusual, but i don't understand why i have read so many praises for this one.

i do hope the new BD set looks good, but too many upscales look like garbage, especially with post production and BD encoding handed out more and more to Q-Tec and those often getting direct ports to US releases (we rarely get direct ports of the really nice R2-J DVDs or RA-J BDs, tho Bandai does put out some nice releases when they aren't glitchy). So i will wait for reviews of this set before ordering and selling off my DVDs, been burned on too many sets that i might be better off having kept the DVDs -- in more ways than one.

rinmackie wrote:

well supposedly funi announced they will pick up the rest of the Ultimate series.
o/c even Japan is still waiting on the next OVA (8), that was scheduled for release last year.
the show is good, but is wrought with issues. hell the stdios have been changed, as well as musical accompaniment. kinda makes a jarring transition and kills the overarching symmetry.

let's hope it might even get finished Oo
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
twinklestarex wrote:
Yeah I really love the R.O.D The TV dubs..BTW Haibane Renmei english dubs on Animax Asia wasn't really an U.S dubs cause its dubbed in Singapore and its really awful!

That probably explains it, then. Could have sworn Animax Asia only used Hong Kong-based dubbers or U.S. dubs at the time, unless it was an old dub that first aired on AXN.

Quote:
One of the underrated English dubs of New Generation Pictures is Angel Tales..

Not sure if what Animax aired is the NGP dub, since I never got the DVDs (like Haibane Renmei), though it seemed way too good for such an average show. Can't remember if I heard Rachel Hirschfeld as Lulu the Frog or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3