• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
BigSpoon wrote:
If you buy your product you are not the one being "targeted". The people who download are the "thieves" so I don't know why you are saying this.
99% of the time, these two groups are one and the same.

Hush. Don't say that...remember around here "you are either with us or against us." There is no middle ground for these zealots.

The new slogan here is "Buy American". Sure it is an oldie but a goodie. Iacocca would be so proud of todays' American anime fans.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Except there are lots of shows that are impossible to get because they have either gone OOP and are super expensive or because they never get licensed in the US.

Forgetting legality for a minute would most people on this board consider it morally acceptable to acquire fansubs of a show that does not have a US release and most likely never will? Especially if people throw away the fansubs if the show happens to get licensed?

What about a show like Cardcaptor Sakura where individual DVD's can fetch $70+ for used copies? Where sales are no longer having any impact on US companies?

I'm surprised nobody has yelled out "Get them from Japan!!" to your post.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Quote:
That pace of change compares quite favorably with the music industry shifting from a primarily anti-piracy focus to the establishment of the iTunes market.

yes and? none of this says how what I said was "patently false," ...
You said: "I said that it's the only industry I know of that has put more of a focus on fixing the consumer rather than revolutionizing their business model."

Its made more rapid progress in revolutionizing its business model than many other similar industries at similar points in coping with a new means of distribution, and waited longer than most before getting started with getting serious about addressing copyright piracy.

Its certainly not made the most rapid progress in revolutionizing its business model nor has it put less of a focus on addressing copyright piracy than any other similar industry, but clearly the Music industry for one at a similar point in its evolution in the 90's put far more effort into fighting copyright piracy and dragged its feet far more than the anime industry has done in terms of revolutionizing its business model.

When the videotape record was developed in the 1970's, "Film and TV studios hated the device, and tried to litigate it out of existence, an effort that ended with a Supreme Court ruling that consumers were allowed to copy television shows for personal use. Of course, in the course of coping with losing in the Supreme Court, they proceeded to develop the new business model that ended up providing a substantial part of their income stream and in the end saved Hollywood from the decline it had been experiencing since the 1950's.

Indeed, that business model developed by Hollywood after they were forced to accept the legality of videotape recorders is the business model that they are struggling with replacing in an age of torrent downloads.

uh-huh, yes and? Methinks we're splitting hairs on this one.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:
Except there are lots of shows that are impossible to get because they have either gone OOP and are super expensive or because they never get licensed in the US.

Forgetting legality for a minute would most people on this board consider it morally acceptable to acquire fansubs of a show that does not have a US release and most likely never will? Especially if people throw away the fansubs if the show happens to get licensed?

What about a show like Cardcaptor Sakura where individual DVD's can fetch $70+ for used copies? Where sales are no longer having any impact on US companies?

I'm surprised nobody has yelled out "Get them from Japan!!" to your post.

If that's an option I sometimes do. I recently imported the Nanoha movie bluray because its region free and has english subtitles. For most titles its not realistic though due to region encoding and lack of english subtitles.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

If that's an option I sometimes do. I recently imported the Nanoha movie bluray because its region free and has english subtitles. For most titles its not realistic though due to region encoding and lack of english subtitles.

Same here! That release was downright AMAZING. Worth every penny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11