• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki to be Present at Howl Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This is really big news.

Is this going to be open to the public? I think I'm going to call the museum tomorrow to see if there's a limited amount of seatings, and get all the details. Damn, this is huge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you're right it is huge. I really wish I could attend this event.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the press release Nausicaa.net has on their site, it says Gloria Steinem is attending... WHY??? Apart from being one of the leaders of the women's movement in the 1960's and 70's I can't think of anything else she is influential in, let alone anime and Miyazaki...

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Looking at the press release Nausicaa.net has on their site, it says Gloria Steinem is attending... WHY??? Apart from being one of the leaders of the women's movement in the 1960's and 70's I can't think of anything else she is influential in, let alone anime and Miyazaki...

Widya Santoso

Possibly because of the "Feminist" of some of Miyazaki's work? Though Howl's is not as good an example as, say, Mononoke...
TheScott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
Is this going to be open to the public? I think I'm going to call the museum tomorrow to see if there's a limited amount of seatings, and get all the details. Damn, this is huge.

There were advance tickets available for the event, but I got the last one. The woman told me that more tickets will be avaible on Monday starting around noon. I'll see you all there! Anime smile
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There were advance tickets available for the event, but I got the last one. The woman told me that more tickets will be avaible on Monday starting around noon. I'll see you all there! Anime smile

Wow, looking at the time of your post, it looks like the tickets sold out fast. I purchased my tickets in person around 9:30 AM on Wednesday. The lady I spoke to said that they usually set aside half the seats in the theatre for advance tickets, so there should still be a decent number of tickets left.
Usagi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Ooooooo~ How much are the tickets? Anime hyper
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
So basically, next week, while I'm studying for finals, ANN's telling me that Hayao Miyazaki is going to be a two and a half hour drive away? This really blows. Evil or Very Mad
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
that sucks.

advanced tickets are sold out, but they said they put half up advanced and sell half that day. i'm going after work, and really hope it's not a bust. i wonder if he's gonna say anything, talk with fans etc...that's be great. a dream come true, i guess.

tickets are $10 for adults, $6 for students with an ID. here's hoping i meet him!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Well if you do Hotaru, give us a few details about...whatever. *turns green* I think it said it was on a weekday...but I can play hooky.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, apparently MOMA overbooks all of their movie showings. As a result, Hotaru and her boyfriend couldn't get in. They unfortunately left their tickets at home, with no way of going back for them (over 1hr travel time). They told the clerk who said "oh well, someone else has your seat now." They left, then went back a few minutes later and spoke to the manager. After explaining what happened, as well as how important getting in to the movie and seeing Miyazaki was to them, and offering to buy tickets again, the manager told them they overbook, and there was no way they could get in. A number of other people weren't able to get in either.

It really isn't right for them to overbook like that. They can't possibly know how many people won't show up, so people who buy tickets aren't even guaranteed they can get in. Given the rare opportunity of Miyazaki being the US, it was completely shortsided of them to operate in this matter.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
That's absolutely ridiculous! Meeting Miyazaki is pretty darn close to a once in a lifetime experience. If people are paying money to see such an important figure, the staff running the event might as well find out how many people can actually get in before trying to sell an x amount of tickets. Then they could just skip on dissapointing people. Sad
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote
While sympathising with Hotaru and his partner, and denigrating the practice of overbooking, the reality is that had they NOT left their tickets behind, they would have got their seats and had an really enjoyable evening.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1