• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Great Unwatched

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess depending on how you look at things, I haven't watched the majority of the disks in my (decent-sized) collection, but the catch is that I've seen almost every series I own before buying it. I started out my DVD collecting grabbing the shows I saw on [adult swim], and I eventually expanded to collecting series I'd seen via fansubs or legal streams. I'd say that probably only 10% of my collection disk-wise are series that I've yet to spend any time with whatsoever. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to work through those shows recently, so that I can finally have everything I own under my belt, which is why I'm in the midst of Overman King Gainer right now. The one thing that does seem to give me trouble is movies, since I find it much harder to commit to a two-hour film than a thirty-minute anime episode. I've had Akira for over five years now but have yet to watch it, and there are a few other movies I picked up for cheap (woo $3 BigLots deals!) that I'll get around to someday.

I can't say that missing volumes have given me much trouble, since I've bought most of my shows as boxsets. (I think the only partial series I have is FLAG, but that's still in-print.) However, I can certainly sympathize with the desire to grab titles before they become extremely hard-to-find after going out-of-print, as Geneon's closure in particular got me to lay down some decent money in a hurry. I think I now own just about all of their titles that I'd be interested in, but the problem comes when I decide to try out a new series that happens to be out-of-print and then have to worry about tracking it down, so I'm sure I'll be back to the drawing board at some point. My most recent out-of-print snag was Android Kikaider, and I think I have one or two others still on my wishlist. (I wouldn't mind owning End of Evangelion, for one, and I'm jealous of Mike's Sherlock Hound set, since those disks are expensive even used.) I guess my only comfort is that I've finally almost caught up to my backlog of titles I want to buy, so now I just need to worry about stuff I watch in the future. Razz

Also, after seeing multiple people talk about having disks "still in the wrapping" on their shelves, I have to wonder if I'm the only person who opens everything I buy as soon as I get it, regardless of whether or not I plan on watching it soon. For one, I always like to make sure that all of the disks are in working order, in case I have to get the set replaced. For another, I love getting that new-DVD smell while it's still fresh. (Mmm, probable carcinogens...) But most of all, I feel like a DVD isn't truly mine until I've labored with the shrink wrap and cursed the top edge sticker. It almost feels like I'm "marking" the disks as part of my collection.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Also, after seeing multiple people talk about having disks "still in the wrapping" on their shelves, I have to wonder if I'm the only person who opens everything I buy as soon as I get it, regardless of whether or not I plan on watching it soon. For one, I always like to make sure that all of the disks are in working order, in case I have to get the set replaced. For another, I love getting that new-DVD smell while it's still fresh. (Mmm, probable carcinogens...) But most of all, I feel like a DVD isn't truly mine until I've labored with the shrink wrap and cursed the top edge sticker. It almost feels like I'm "marking" the disks as part of my collection.

This. Whenever I buy a dvd, I open it and make sure it's not damaged or loose or has a broken case, plus I look at the stuff inside. If it's a used dvd, I pop it into my dvd player to make sure it works too, and play around with the trailers [I always watch the trailers on new anime dvd's] or flip through the dvd chapters.

I'm wierded out that End of Evangelion's such a hard find- it's OOP, but it was in print for a good number of years and fairly popular- I'm surprised there aren't more used copies or unsold backstock floating around. Most Manga Ent. titles are pretty easy to find.
maxhate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I have somewhere between 1500 and 1700 discs in my collection. Of these there are only 2 series that I have not watched completely. They are Maze and Gad Guard. It's not that I'm missing discs or anything, it's just that I don't find them to be all that entertaining...
At least half of the titles I own I have watched twice or more. We all have our favorites and I am a major fan of shonen titles (yes, that includes Naruto, Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin, but not so much One Piece). Also, Kenshin happens to be THE 1st anime I ever saw (although in my country it was called Samurai X, it was the Sony Pictures Television dub) and alot of times after work/school I find myself watching episodes of it for nostalgia's sake.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Through sheer dedication, I've managed to keep my DVD backlog to two small stacks, a fair portion of which are obligation purchases of stuff I've already seen. My collection is possibly over a thousand discs, so I consider this fairly good.

It is a fact though that I'm having difficulty finding time to reduce it further, and this is nothing compared to the backlog of total series I feel I want/need to see.

Quote:
That's gonna be my problem w/ Utena if they don't manage to port over the CPM extras with Ikuhara.

The CPM extras, which include both interviews and a commentary track of the final three episodes with both Ikuhara and Saito Chiho, and a complete Ikuhara commentary track of the movie, are certainly worth a premium price all on their own. It's thanks to these inclusions that we know so much about what Ikuhara intended. Thankfully I already own them from way back.

Personally, instead of simply porting those over, I'd really like it if the Nozomi release included some translated content from the remastered Japanese release + CD Box. They have tons of extra content, interviews, etc., none of which I can enjoy despite paying the astronomical prices for them...oh well. I've always avoided immoderate fannish spending. Utena is the only series I would do it for, and I'm secure in the knowledge that leaving it undone would've been a frank impossibility. :P

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 8 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The only series that I own that I have not watched all of is Cybuster, and that's because I can't bring myself to watch the last eight episodes. Personally I only buy series I want to own, I never really saw the need to go out and buy series just because Rightstuf has a sale. Maybe it's because when I started to buy large quantities of anime is when I moved from Phoenix to a small town in Washington, so I don't really have the option of buying the 4 dollar single.

Right now I have a wishlist of anime I want to buy that I already watched years ago and so I have no need to impulse buy.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to bother giving numbers, just trust me when I say that I have a huge library. However, the titles in my collection I have not watched include:

Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent
Noein
Now and Then, Here and There
Macross Plus
Blood+
Death Note
Code Geass
Speedgrapher
Patlabor series

And that's only because I've already seen them on TV

Quote:
Another factor that creates ominously large piles of unwatched discs in fans' collections is the phenomenon of double-dipping.

As a rule I used to stay away from buying reissues because I'm normally content with the original release of the series (and why spend the unnecessary extra money?), but I've made or are making a couple exceptions. With Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, I got the thin-boxpak, but someone stole the cover from it (too long a story to explain). So when ADV rereleased the series, and this time with commentaries, I had to get it. Now Funimation has it and is rereleasing it, and I've already decided I'll collect it as a personal tradition. Also, I have and treasure my Geneon box set of Haibane Renmei, but because it's my top favorite series ever made, I'll be sure to collect Funimation's release of that also!

Quote:
It is inconceivable to me that The End of Evangelion film is out of print,

Total agreement, I can only hope Funimation may also pick that up. Either way, count me one of the most blessedly lucky ones to have picked it up from my local Suncoast around the time it first came out!
FictionsMosaic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I have somewhere around 1300 DVDs. Of my collection, I've not watched 93 discs. Like many, it's not that I dislike those titles, but I haven't found the time to watch them over other series during my free time. There have been days when I meant to get some of the backlog of unwatched titles whittled down, but something always came up. I feel a little sorry for some of the titles I haven't watched. I bought one or two titles back in 2006, still remaining unwatched.

If I add my manga collection into this, it's somewhere around 300 volumes of manga with only 40 of them unread. When I think about it, somehow my collection of just regular novels seem to be rather low when it comes to unread. With over 250 books, only eight of them are unread. Whenever I make a post that deals with my collection of anime and manga, as well as my collection of books. I am always reminded of how much of a shut in I am.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Im pretty guilty of this. I have 244 disks at last count, and i would estimate that i have only watched about half of them. The reason being is that i make myself buy a show if i watched more than 6 fan subbed episodes of it, without exception. I buy it, but I've already seen it so i usually cant be bothered watching it again.

The other reason is things I've blind bought because they where on sale or sitting in the rightstuf bargain bin. I've watchedt he first disk, decided i dont really liek the series and never bothered to continue watching it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I estimate 1142 discs, of which less than ten are "unseen in any form." A few movies, the last five discs of BECK, and the 2nd Space Pirate Mito series, which I bought at a random RSI sale not knowing it was a sequel to something else. Funny how un/underemployment has a huge effect on backlog, both in terms of lack of $$ to expand the collection and lots of time to blaze through it. The disc count definitely does benefit from TRSI clearance sales and cheap boxed sets of 8-disc ~26-ep series like Gasaraki, Tenchi Universe / in Tokyo / GXP, Kiddy Grade, and Stellvia. Too bad the video quality on today's 6-to-7-episode DVDs suffers compared to much of the old stuff that only had 3-4 eps per disc.

Space Butler XIII wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the stockpiling of DVDs Mike described is essentially no different than, say, the vast number of kids on /a/ who have downloaded terabytes of .mkv files that they'll never get around to watching.

Which is really not that much of an accomplishment these days. ~7 years ago in the days of 175 MB .avis, you would've needed 5714 files (or about 220 26-episode series) to fill a terabyte. Now 1 GB+ Blu-Ray rips can push that requirement down to less than 1000 files or 38 26-ep series.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the worlds worst anime fan when I admit that just cannot finish Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. OTL I feel like I should be stoned for that...

It's not that I don't like them, trust me, I was hesitant about those two but I fell in love with them.
It seems that something always comes up, from school work, or another anime/manga series I've fallen behind on. (I'm looking at you Detective Conan, One Piece, Fairy Tail, FMA Brotherhood's dub, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, and Hetalia.)

Then there's the other shows that I just can't find time to watch/read. Especially shojo series. Being an avid fan of shonen series, I love the idea of kicking ass and the power of nakama, etc. Once in a while I'll pick up a shojo manga/anime that is worth watching/reading, but even I can handle only so much lovey dovey romance.
My main example being Fruits Basket. It has enjoyable for the most part, but when your heroine just doesn't do much, it's hard to keep on track.
High school debut falls under this category for me too. It's cute, it's as realistic as any shojo I've read can get, but I just can't.

But then there's TOO MUCH shonen. AKA Hellsing. Awesome series. Vampires killing nazis, what more could you want? Well, that's the thing. I love it, but even I get tired of just killing for a whole chapter.

And of course, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
I love FMA. I remember picking up that manga volume and thinking "Holy shizznicks what's gonna happen next?!" And then watching the anime, I fell in love with this, it being my first manga/anime series. Naturally, I was happy as a clam when Brotherhood was announced.
So why can't I get through it?
It's a great series, right on par with the manga. Animation's great, music is perfect as always, the voice acting is superb.
In the end though, it feels like a remake. (But to me, this really only applies to the first few episodes.)

Not that I'm saying there's anything particularly BAD about these series, I just have a hard time getting through them.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl, I actually gasped aloud when I saw your Utena setup! It's subtle, but it so suits your collection! It's really gorgeous. Very Happy

*~Pips~*
Fifth B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
This article prompted me to go take a look at my collection. I've never actually gone and counted it before, but today I learned that I have around 431 discs. No double dips, though that might change soon now that I have a blu-ray player. I'm lucky enough to have an Asian movie store near my place with a huge anime section, so I've been able to rent pretty much everything I've wanted to watch before I buy it, so with a few exceptions I haven't blind bought very much. As a result, most of my collection has been watched at least twice, and the only unwatched shows I own are Aria the Origination and Toradora!, which I just started watching a few days ago. Whenever I buy a show I've never seen before, I usually tear it out of the wrap and watch it right away.

I don't really have any gaps, but I do have a few unfinished shows. I only have the first seasons of Genshiken and Emma, a situation I hope to remedy soon, and the first box set of Soul Eater, which while I enjoyed it, I'm in no hurry to buy the rest. My problem is that I'm a stingy bastard, and there are plenty of shows that I've seen and want to own, but I never seem to get around to buying them.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Out of a 1200-ish disc collection (and I'm honestly surprised I've got more discs than Mr. Toole), about 1/3 or so are still waiting to be watched. A few are still wrapped, but not terribly many since I check for floating discs... or more recently, to make sure it's not a stackpak. My only double-dip (that I kept, anyway) is the Area 88 OAV, due to the differences between the VHS and complete DVD releases. Oh, and Yukikaze DVD and Blu-ray, for the extras.

I'm proud to say I have no random missing volumes in my collection- when I do pick up singles on the cheap, I usually check to see if the whole series can be had at a decent price first, then make it a a point to get the rest right away. I have a few partial series- I have Rurouni Kenshin vol.1 and Trust/Betrayal singles, along with Ronin Warriors vol. 1. These aren't getting 'finished' due to cost and the fact that my fiance owns all of both series (he actually gave me the Trust/Betrayal discs when he got the Director's cut). Basically, I intend to inherit the complete series when we get hitched. Laughing I also have the first Oh my Goddess! OAV volume, and an empty This Ugly Yet Beautiful World boxset. These were freebies from my sister during one of her regular media cutdown sessions (never understood it, just reap the rewards. Wink) She saved the artbox for me after selling the discs under the mistaken assumption that I already had the singles- I'm not too interested in the show, but I somehow feel I should refill that box, so I keep it around waiting for cheap singles. (It's currently storing some of my extra DVD cases.)

While I may not have watched all of my DVDs, it's not stopping the people I know! I'm not opposed to lending discs I haven't yet viewed myself, which means the Tylor boxes I'm only about halfway through and the Gaogaigar sets I haven't even started have spent a fair amount of time with my fiance's siblings. After all, if I'm not getting around to it, why not let someone else enjoy it?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For everyone that loved Ghost in the Shell SAC, I don't know many people (myself included) who have actually finished 2nd Gig. Wonder why that is.
That's odd. I watched it, but it was by Netflix, so I "had to" finish each disk to get it back in the envelope and hop onto the bike to get it back to the Post Office. I am not entirely sure if I would have got stuck partway if I had bought the boxset and was watching that.

... OTOH, I probably would have. I liked that OP almost as much as the first gig opening, and when I like the OP, it normally draws me to finish one disk at a sitting.
mjc5436

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
i have been collecting anime vhs, dvd, and most recently blu-ray discs for 18 years and have a collection of 1500 discs with over 100 different series and movies. my pride and joy is the evangelion platinum collection disc 3 autograph by tiffany grant. the series that i cant seem to finish is the robotech series watching it would take me days to finish from the macross saga to the new generation plus all the spin-offs and movies. my guilty pleasures is Girls Bravo, Sekirei, and Queens Blade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8