• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Great Unwatched

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This thread is reassuring. It's good to know I'm not the only crazy collector out there. Since other people are posting there unwatched DVD list I figured I'd post mine.
One Piece
My Otome Sifr
Gad Guard
Go Lion
Dairugger
Giant Robo
Hakugei
Dirty Pair
Panda Z
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Honey and Clover
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Kampfer
Koihime Muso
Gundam Zeta (watched 15 episodes and lost interest,but plan to finish)
FMA:Brotherhood
Taisho Baseball Girls
Sekirei
Oh Edo Rocket
Sengoku Basara
Kujibiki Unbalance
El Hazard:The Wanderers
Fist of the North Star collection 1 and 2
Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple
Our Home's Fox Deity
Dragonball, DBZ, and DBGT (seen on TV, but haven't watched DVD)
Yuyu Hakusho(also seen on TV)
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For everyone that loved Ghost in the Shell SAC, I don't know many people (myself included) who have actually finished 2nd Gig. Wonder why that is.
I saw it throughout when it was airing on Adult Swim, but have the exact same problem you describe when trying to rewatch it on DVD.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
My pile isn't all that big, but that's because the only times I splurge on anime DVDs are twice a year.

Because there are so few places in Puerto Rico to buy anime, I only order off of Right Stuf or Amazon.com. I'm also really slow with watching anime: I hate the idea of being stuck without something to watch, so I only watch two episodes a week. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of a week.

As it is, the shows I've got on my shelf that I have yet to watch are the following:
-Berserk
-Giant Robo (and the Ginrei Special)
-Irresponsible Captain Tylor
-Vandread, both seasons and the OVAs
-the first three seasons of The Slayers
-Moribito

I am not counting the anime-films on that shelf (which include Spring and Chaos and Metropolis), although I haven't watched those, either.

I understand the whole "buy everything in scarcity" idea, though: a few years ago, I was really short on anime, and I actually picked up a used Love Hina DVD at a local Gamestop, along with a random All-Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku-Nuku TV DVD. Yeah, like I said, anime is scarce in Puerto Rico.

I am also guilty of buying DVDs because I'm worried I won't be able to find them later...regardless of the quality of the show. I bought Burn Up Excess a few weeks after ADV went under, partly because I hadn't seen it since I was about 14 and I wanted to give it a decent chance, and partly because I figured it would be a nice entry to my collection. Laughing
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Agree, reading all these threads reassures me anime has quite the following and this media phenom will be around awhile. I also noticed, with the exception of a few (moving overseas, income decline, etc.), most ANN posters are at an age or stage where the acquisition mode button will likely remain, unconsciously, in the ON position seemingly forever.

My wife, the understanding non-collector between us, is concerned I will die first. Then what? Since I am chronologically 63 years old this is a valid sticking point. I've jokingly referenced the local University's audio-visual department as a likely recipient although with the current technologies of Information Storage and Dispersal prevalent in many institutions I doubt they want to be bothered by such a donation unless a decent compensatory endowment accompanied it.

I have a friend in Wyoming who is gifting his extensive railroad photo collection to the University of Wyoming-Laramie. He is almost 85. His collection of 35-mm color slides dating from the late '30's (era of fewer people) to almost recent is representative of Class 1 railroad development, mainly the Union Pacific Railroad, in this state and Colorado. There might have been a time such a donation would be received with open arms but railroading is no longer the dominating force gifting the nation population with wish fulfillment. Today that is technology. Technology, as you well know, has touched almost everyone. All his collection represents now is a recording of land transportation history, but it's the past, yesterday's news.

The point I'm making is the dilemma of acquisition. We readily adapt appreciating and archiving. But disposal? Hmmmm, that's another matter. The University of Wyoming asked for and got a $250,000 endowment from Jim to archive and preserve his lifetime collection. As a lifetime railroad enthusiast (aka rr nut, foamer) I would love to make a pilgrimmage to Laramie where this collection will be housed and view a piece of it assuming it's made accessible to the public. This gentleman is a pioneer, 1 of the early railfans who paved the way for the rest of us who have chosen train photography as a pastime.

But I'm not Jim and my situation with anime disposal at a later life stage will not follow a similar path. Unless my nieces, nephews, cousins fall under this spell (and assuming this visual media is still in existence 20 years hence) their rejection of this assemblage of my mania will neccessitate gifting via landfill or non-ceremonial cremation (assuming EPA won't have the power then to be the multi-tasked, multi-headed hydra forbidding conversion of mass to some form of gas without permission by 1000 signed and validated permits).

PS: I know about ebay et al....this is how I am dispersing my 35-yr acquisition of non anime-related stuff presently.

Last edited by bemused Bohemian on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
My DVD pile isn't that big, I don't officially consider something to be "in the pile" if I've had the set for less than two months either (so the stuff I got for Xmas, while some of it is unwatched, isn't actually a problem for another month or so). Even then I don't have too much of a pile because I prefer to buy 3 or 4 series at a time, then watch them all before buying or trading for more. So, this pile dates back to around November only: Trigun, 3 discs of Urusei Yatsura (saw the first half of disc 1), Aria season 1, Glass Mask (seen the first 6 eps/ 1st disc). However, there is one thing nagging back there, and that is Genesis Climber Mospeada. This has remained unwatched for a good 2 or 3 years now at least because of two reasons: 1) I got it with the Southern Cross double pack, I heard Southern Cross was the most changed arc so I watched that set and 2) I've already seen all of Robotech twice. Since I don't recall hearing that Genesis Climber Mospeada was changed a lot, I've yet to see it (also, "Cyclone" is a far less stupid word for those motorbike/robot things than "Mospeada" if you ask me). So that's my only real problem DVD set in my collection these days, I noticed this might become a problem so I simply stopped buying anime DVDs unless I think they might actually be rare down the road (and given the rate at which Funimation re-prints its stuff, that means I can put off buying Funi stuff until the cows come home). On the other hand, I detected that 999 for DS might become rare in the future so I got a copy of that game already instead of anime.

I also dislike keeping anything around in my collection that I don't think is worthy of a rewatch, if I see it on the shelf I'll just cringe, so I'll try and trade old anime for new (to me) anime so that only the classics stay on my shelf. Sure, I've been meaning to rewatch Planetes for at least 4 or 5 years now and have yet to, but it's still way too worthy to ever get rid of (and I will rewatch it someday!)

My manga backlog is also minimal, sure I've a good 18 or so volumes of Rurouni Kenshin to read, but I've gotten through 10 of them in 4 days no problem and I might be getting another 20 manga delivered to my house tomorrow, but I'll have those done before I have to go back to the dorm in early February anyway then bring about 40 back to the dorm with me to enjoy re-reading there. Oh yeah and I got those RuroKen manga less than a week ago and I don't expect myself to read 28 volumes of anything in a single day anyway.

Gah, bad classicalzawa, forgetting your JRPG backlog!
Ok, so JRPGs are rather timely most of the time and dying on bosses and having to spend another 2 hours to train then beat them is just annoying and yes I've stopped buying JRPGs too (will certainly be getting Pokemon though, in fact I will replay Pokemon more often then actually starting a new JRPG because Pokemon is addicting as all hell), but GBA and PS2 were fairly heavy JRPG platforms (DS too, and I play DS and PS2 the most, yes I still play the PS2 all the time) so I've got to have a good 20 JRPGs on backlog at least from getting stuff for cheap/buying stuff off friends, etc. Some I've started and tried out for maybe an hour, some I've gotten maybe halfway through until a shiny Pokemon appeared, but here's a general idea of the list:
PS2: Grandia II, Grandia III, Magna Carta, Magic Pengel, Okage (actually currently playing), Phantom Brave, Rogue Galaxy, Steambot Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile 2, Wild Arms 3
PS1: Grandia (a friend sold me all of his Grandia games a year ago)
Gamecube: Paper Mario 2, Skies of Arcadia: Legends
GBA: Riviera, Yggdra Union, Golden Sun
DS: DQ4, DQ5, DQM Joker, Glory of Heracles, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, soon to add DQ6
Since JRPGs are a lot like anime in many respects, this is where I consider that my list problem lies.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the things I collect, anime is the most expensive so I really don't pile them up that much. I do have a huge pile of JRPGs though like the above poster. I've gotten a lot of cheap ones of late, since the PS2 had a lot and they're still relatively cheap right now. And many games require 10x more time commitment than anime. I can knock off a 26 episode series in 2 days, actually I could probably knock an entire series off from 6pm to 3am if I'm feeling really hardcore. And I've actually done this before... and worse. Not so with video games, which require 30+ hour commitments. In fact, 30 hours seems to be on the minimum side now. Back in the SNES days, 30 hours seemed gigantic...

Another reason I collect JRPGs with alarming frequency is the fact that they tend to shoot up in price rather quickly or get hard to find. So I can't just go to any store and hunt them down easily. With anime, I pretty much KNOW what I want and get them when they come out. Sometimes I'll go back to get something I missed, but that doesn't happen as much as it does with JRPGs. For example, 6 years ago I saw Suikoden 2 for a cheap price, then 3 years later it got rare and became a $200 artifact. Needless to say, I missed it the first time, and the second time I saw it I couldn't afford it. Same story with Skies of Arcadia GC (though it's not quite $200 yet)

That doesn't happen with anime releases as often.

I've also got a number of non-anime movies I haven't finished. I've got Mario Bava sets that haven't been touched, and I've got a couple of Criterion DVDs that have been sitting for over a year. Again, even here I can splurge a little since non-anime DVDs are relatively cheap. With anime, I have to make 90% sure I really want the show since I'm paying quite a bit for these sets, and so this makes me crack them open right away because of that desire.
Clovis15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I used to have a woefully embarassing backlog like mentioned in this article, but at the tail end of 2008 I begin a strict watching regmin to help me get caught up. Through my golden rule of 3 episodes a night, and with a little help from losing my job in September to stop me from continuing to add to the pile, I now have only Full Metal Panic: Second Raid and Slayers Seasons 3 - 5 to go before I'm all done (at least for the anime DVDs). On the other hand, my unplayed Video Game pile is positively soul crushing to even think about.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Even as we speak, I just bought 2 JRPGs today....Mana Khemia 2 and Xenosaga 3...I can tell these won't be played for a while... Embarassed
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My unwatched "pile"/"backlog" -

Escaflowne
Last Exile
Petite Princess Yucie
Girls Bravo
Bamboo Blade
Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny
Genshiken 2 (and the Unbalance Show based on it!)
Midori Days
Vampire Knight Volume 3
Eden of the East

Kind of embarrassed that I've owned some of these for over a year :3

But anyway ... I've only included shows that I haven't seen before ... I have some DVD's I opened and skim-watched because I've seen the show before.

And I have just come to terms with the fact that I am NEVER going to finish A Little Snow Fairy Sugar (waaay too cutesy) so I'd might as well just sell both volumes back and buy The Social Network instead Smile

My issue is mostly those Right Stuf sales!! They get me every time! I can't resist! I've also started some of these series, and then just gotten distracted ... or sometimes I just feel like re-watching something I Love (hello 3+ viewings of my favorite series!)
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I have a pretty large collection (I've more or less stopped keeping track in dvd profiler) and the series that go unwatched is unfortunately growing. Even more dvds are completely unwatched, but I've at least seen the series first.
One of the reasons for me, besides a few that were mentioned in the article (thank you rightstuf sales) is that I subscribe to The Anime Network. On average, there's 6-12 shows airing that I might be watching, so I rarely want to add another one to the mix. If I do I might miss an episode on TAN which, once deleted, likely won't show up again, or if it does, not for a year or so.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
heh... I have many non watched for one reason only... Support.

If I watched a series somewhere online, and it finally gets licensed? I buy. I owe it to them... I figure I'll watch again eventually. But honestly I may not. There are series where I know one of the Seiyuu, or the director or something, so I pick it up...
and then?
oh, look shiny... the latest anime preview is out and, wow I think I'll have to watch this... even though I HATE watching via the computer.

The thing is about DVD, is that I know that when I am in a certain mood, I'm going to watch a specific anime. One that I've seen 100x, but it just matches that mood. That's why I require the DVD. I think many of us before have been burned by wanting to see something that is out of print, regardless if it's anime or live action.

So you get that feeling that you had better get something while it is available... and before the company suddenly goes belly up. Or some other shoe drops.

Honestly I think a 14 year old now will never know this feeling, because the web seldom forgets.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The only series that I own that I have not watched all of is Cybuster, and that's because I can't bring myself to watch the last eight episodes.

That show was so bad its good. The extra episode explaining that Masaki's origin was interesting. Surprised Geneon had the balls to pick such an obscure show up. I'm so happy OG Divine Wars came stateside so I can have some "legit" Cybuster in my collection.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Counting all my DVDs, manga, Shonen Jump magazines, and other things, I have over 300 items.

http://www.kaboodle.com/trunkschan90/things-i-have.html

I probably have over 30 series I haven't watched due to lack of time.

I don't have many VHS since I had limited income, but I'm glad I did since DVDs take up less space. I tend to sell, trade, or donate my anime dvd singles once a boxset comes out since I gain more space. My mom tends to complain about how I have so much stuff and I should give it all way, but no way in heck will I do that!
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel less bad about my backlog now. This is a fascinating thread. It also has me in the mood to actually add more anime with everyone listing shows Smile

JentheHen--- You *need* to watch that Escaflowne box. I'm contemplating getting the tv box at some point, though the movie and the compilation OVA have tided me over..... I've heard good things about Eden of the East too.

Levitz9- Moribito and Giant Robo are quite awesome, and Berserk's pretty boggling yet keen too.

N.R.--- the 2000 date is a re-release of the Toshinden DVD. It came out in May of 1997. http://www.mania.com/battle-arena-toshinden_article_73405.html the first issue used a cardboard cases with plastic clappers, like a lot of Warners releases from around the same period had.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
I think the main reason why I haven't watched some of my DVDs is simply because I've already seen the shows so many times thanks to repeated airings on Adult Swim and G4. There really isn't much of a reason for me to actually put one of the Cowboy Bebop discs in the player anytime soon.

On another note, it's slightly sad to me to think of the various shows I own and know that I haven't watched them in years. Reading the review of the Read or Die bluray set made me realize I haven't even thought to watch that show in about two or three years and it's my second favorite series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8