• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Asylum Session Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks like you have a duplicate entry for Section23 ANN

company#8211 (Linked to in the news)

company#8293 (most entries)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Excel Generations wrote:
Yeah I would have to agree. It was always people crying about how "bad" dubs were so they would bash and not buy, but you always get the Japanese Tracks. So it never made sense really... I always remember those types at my schools and even at my college. Fansub this fansub that. Buy the damn product!!! I know not all sub fans are like that but it's those damn sub elite people that just make you hate!

That must be some rare case as I have never heard of people not wanting to buy legit R1 release DVDs because it has a dub track. They would contain a sub track as well so that does not make sense.

I'm not really a fan but I will occasionally watch some shows/movies in English dub (like the Professor Layton movie as I love Hershel's English voice!). I do feel bad for dub lovers that their favorite shows are not getting a dub release. It would be like releasing dub only anime and that would suck for the sub lovers. I think that Sentei really should just cater to both sides and give us dual audio sets.

On a side note, I want to get this movie!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ghidra999"]
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! THIS MAKES ME UNHAPPY AND I AM USING ALL CAPS TO REGISTER SAID FEELINGS! I'M IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Admin note: screaming swear words because of a DVD release is not something we do here.

Its anti sub crybabies like you that give anime fans a bad name.

Funny, I thought it was anti dub crybabies.

I do agree that this not being dubbed is ridiculous. If Media Blasters can go back and redub some of their sub only releases, ADV can start dubbing some things again. I'd give a pass to a company like Rightstuf for oldschool titles, but this is ridiculous. Either get back in the game or don't. As is, they're going to become like a third wheel. They may license a lot of stuff, but I won't be buying it. If you can't license anything that isn't economical feasible for you to dub let alone stand alone films, that is a sad state of affairs.

Umm, what are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Name one instance on this forum where a bunch of people complained about something being dubbed.

I'm afraid you're trying to make apples out of applesauce, buddy. There's no such thing as a large group of anti dub fans. Please stop trying to defend the irate and immature behavior of anti sub morons.

The bias against dubs by elitist sub fans in anime fandom is not really something I need to elaborate on. It's just there. Many people think dubs are some atrocity committed against the "original versions." If you haven't noticed it, you are either a really new fan or haven't had much contact with the rest of the fandom.

Umm, I've been part of the anime fandom since '02. Didn't you know there was a boom during that time? I guess you missed it cause every single release was dubbed at that time and I don't recall anti dub hating pacifist.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Umm, what are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Name one instance on this forum where a bunch of people complained about something being dubbed.
The bias against dubs by elitist sub fans in anime fandom is not really something I need to elaborate on. It's just there. Many people think dubs are some atrocity committed against the "original versions." If you haven't noticed it, you are either a really new fan or haven't had much contact with the rest of the fandom.
Translation: I couldn't find any such cases, so I'll just restate my opinion, because having the last word means I'm right. And I'll play the oldschool card, despite my joining this forum a month ago, and call my opponents elitists at the same time, just to confuse them.

(For the record, Mikeski is not elitist (yay moe fanservice!), nor is he particularly oldschool (introduced to anime by his roommate in 1995), nor is he right most of the time. He also very rarely refers to himself in the third person like this.)

Yes, there was a sub-vs-dub debate of the sort you're talking about... way back in the days of VHS tapes, when it really was one or the other. Now that virtually every dubbed release is also subbed on the same disc, nobody cares.

There were also specific instances of dubs that shredded the original story entirely (ex: Cardcaptors), and people were understandably miffed about those.

But if you really believe there's a pervasive current movement of people stating "nothing should be dubbed, evar, because dubs are teh suck", I think you should be able to point to at least one current example... and probably several.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly guys, can you guys bring up Sentai not dubbing certain anime and the sub vs. dub debate in general for something that matters? Just look at that trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIHG03Vdso

If the little I could stand of Catblue Dynamite is any indication, this should be almost unwatchable. You can actually check out an episode of Catblue Dynamite on Crunchyroll for free, if you're feeling up to it.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! THIS MAKES ME UNHAPPY AND I AM USING ALL CAPS TO REGISTER SAID FEELINGS! I'M IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Admin note: screaming swear words because of a DVD release is not something we do here.

Aw man. You took the words right out of my mouth, comrade.

This is a shame, the lack of a dub. But I'll still look forward to experiencing this movie since it sounds pretty interesting and "off the beaten track" as the saying goes. I'm up for anything anime/manga-wise that breaks from the mold these days.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Amen! No matter what language the characters are speaking, this movie looks ugly as sin. It looks like it was animated in MikuMikuDance by someone without any concept of physics, for crying out loud! The characters move without any sense of weight or purpose and it's all so uncanny and ugh.

Can anyone point out a good entirely-cell-shaded-CG production, or is this really the best we've got there?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
To all the arguing: I do know a few individuals who rather the dub/English companies die (seriously) and buy everything in Japanese...But ignoring them, I think Ghidra never intended to mean "there are a large portion of people who refuse to buy dubbed anime." He/she was replying to a statement about how those who wont buy subbed anime give the fandom a "bad name" because of their complaints. However, there are a large number of dub-haters who may still buy, but hate dubs with a passion, constantly criticize them, and intensely deny English dubs being good or, in some cases, superior to the original. While it is all a case of opinion, they have an evident bias and live under the motto of "The original is always right!!".

It's obvious that there is dub-hate, though very few boycott a release because of it. Still, they are the ones primarily stirring trouble in the world of English releases. And at least those who won't buy sub-only releases may have a reasoning behind their thoughts (difficult to show to friends/relatives, reading disorders, bad eyesight, etc.). Not that blowing up about it is an appropriate response, and those who have already watched the series/movie/etc. are being hypocritical if they refuse to purchase because it lacks a dub (though disliking the lack of one is fair, especially if they don't like the original to begin with).

braves wrote:
Honestly guys, can you guys bring up Sentai not dubbing certain anime and the sub vs. dub debate in general for something that matters? Just look at that trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIHG03Vdso

If the little I could stand of Catblue Dynamite is any indication, this should be almost unwatchable. You can actually check out an episode of Catblue Dynamite on Crunchyroll for free, if you're feeling up to it.....

Okay, Section23, I will probably not bite. With that animation...Do it right or don't do it at all (note: not implying that S23 is responsible for that, of course). Even an excellent voice cast, be it Japanese or English, couldn't fix that.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I like the Animation... I don't see what's so bad about it...

Anyways, even if this movie doesn't have a dub, I might still buy it. I just need to check more into this, and try and gather up the money for this. Wink
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Quite note: director Tact Aoki is a disciple of Romanov Higa, of Catblue Dynamite and Tank S.W.A.T. fame. Asylum Session is animated in a similar CG cel-shaded style.

braves wrote:

And with those posts in mind, maybe it's a good thing this is sub-only. Hell, I don't think I have heard too much hype when this came out. Section23 seriously has this tendency for going for the utterly obscure stuff.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Nah, it cant be that ba-woah! Those designs just waltz into the uncanny valley don't they? The lip flap is so unnatural. From side on, everyone looks like lizards
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
To all the arguing: I do know a few individuals who rather the dub/English companies die (seriously) and buy everything in Japanese...But ignoring them, I think Ghidra never intended to mean "there are a large portion of people who refuse to buy dubbed anime." He/she was replying to a statement about how those who wont buy subbed anime give the fandom a "bad name" because of their complaints. However, there are a large number of dub-haters who may still buy, but hate dubs with a passion, constantly criticize them, and intensely deny English dubs being good or, in some cases, superior to the original. While it is all a case of opinion, they have an evident bias and live under the motto of "The original is always right!!".

It's obvious that there is dub-hate, though very few boycott a release because of it. Still, they are the ones primarily stirring trouble in the world of English releases. And at least those who won't buy sub-only releases may have a reasoning behind their thoughts (difficult to show to friends/relatives, reading disorders, bad eyesight, etc.). Not that blowing up about it is an appropriate response, and those who have already watched the series/movie/etc. are being hypocritical if they refuse to purchase because it lacks a dub (though disliking the lack of one is fair, especially if they don't like the original to begin with).

braves wrote:

Okay, Section23, I will probably not bite. With that animation...Do it right or don't do it at all (note: not implying that S23 is responsible for that, of course). Even an excellent voice cast, be it Japanese or English, couldn't fix that.

Yeah, exactly. Some people though just love revisionist history though when it benefits their side. I mean I don't frequent anime forums anymore, but there's people like that pretty much every where. Maybe slightly less now, but I do recall someone on another thread saying supporting Funimation wasn't supporting the anime industry. You don't really have to connect too many dots to figure out his reasoning. Most of the time though, people are not as veiled about it. I don't need to find specific examples to prove anything. You may as well be telling me to find examples or racism to prove that it ever existed or something.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Even more so after hearing the(in my opinion) INCREDIBLE Canaan dub which I really wasn't expecting.

I have to agree on the Canaan dub and I want to add Ghost Hound dub to that also.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mikeski"]
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Translation: I couldn't find any such cases, so I'll just restate my opinion, because having the last word means I'm right. And I'll play the oldschool card, despite my joining this forum a month ago, and call my opponents elitists at the same time, just to confuse them.

(For the record, Mikeski is not elitist (yay moe fanservice!), nor is he particularly oldschool (introduced to anime by his roommate in 1995), nor is he right most of the time. He also very rarely refers to himself in the third person like this.)

Yes, there was a sub-vs-dub debate of the sort you're talking about... way back in the days of VHS tapes, when it really was one or the other. Now that virtually every dubbed release is also subbed on the same disc, nobody cares.

There were also specific instances of dubs that shredded the original story entirely (ex: Cardcaptors), and people were understandably miffed about those.

But if you really believe there's a pervasive current movement of people stating "nothing should be dubbed, evar, because dubs are teh suck", I think you should be able to point to at least one current example... and probably several.

I do recall the VHS/Fansub days 1991-1998 as being an akward period for American otaku, in those days, DVD wasn't widely popluar and fans had to choose between a dub or sub tape. Also, I recall the fact that the the Otaku base was not only smaller, but they were also lucky to have anything get licensed over here since the price of licensing anime was much much higher then today.

Also people remember how much it sucked to be a manga fan?
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I'm afraid you're trying to make apples out of applesauce, buddy. There's no such thing as a large group of anti dub fans. Please stop trying to defend the irate and immature behavior of anti sub morons.

You don't have to buy the title and your entitled to your opinion. But don't defend childish hyperpole.

There are mainstream titles and niche titles,every single one of Section23's sub only releases are niche.

Maybe not on this forum but if you have ever visited MyAnimeList they have loads of anti-dub people. Not really anti-dub but basically people who say its impossible for dubs to be good or anywhere near as good as the original. I don't really mind either way, I actually find it funny that people can get so riled up over this.

Anyways what it comes down to is that if I really like something I would buy it with or without a dub. And who knows if most people do this maybe they will go back and dub it eventually. Look at Clannad, Tears to Tiara, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, and a few others I am sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4