• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto DVD Season 4 Box Set 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger, i praise you.
Survive over 11 hours of Naruto fillers (as the box proudly announces) is a task that very few can endure.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
I think I remember some fansubbing group doing a montage of as many horrible off-model character shots as they could and it was pretty damn hilarious. I completely skipped the filler after the first few episodes, and had lost interest in the series by the time Shippuuden came around (and had moved onto the manga, which is a whole 'nother story). If I were releasing this in America, I'd find some contractual way of never releasing any of this; why waste the money to make the DVDs?
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
This long stretch of filler (not these episodes specifically, but all the episodes after Naruto vs. spoiler[Cursed Sasuke]) are why I largely refuse to watch any filler in any show nowadays. It kind of ruined me a little, on the inside.

That being said, I appreciate that Carl gave credit where credit is due. The storyline involving Anko's past is surprisingly interesting, and the climactic battle where Naruto summons Gamabunta is short but really well-animated.

Still, it's not hard to see why they had to kill the series and start over with Shippuuden after this never-ending filler train had its way with the show.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
These fillers-these exact sets of fillers-are what taught me, years ago, that not all anime is good, and that in Japan they have studios and animators who just want to make a buck off of anime fans. To this day, the cooking ninjas episode is my definition of pointless, sloppy, lazy writing in anime. God help the anime that is compared to the cooking ninjas episode.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I own the original box sets from 1-16. The only benefit of buying 11-16 (the fillers) was to get the complete deck of playing cards. I held out on buying the sets until I got them for roughly $20 each at the time. But for buying them in a double set, you just get twice of much pain as it was originally intended.

I have nothing to say about these episodes. The only "good" filler episodes in Naruto happened before the 80 episode long filler arc. The Anko episode was interesting, but it's not worth buying this set just to see one (or it could of been two) good episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
barrelroller wrote:
I own the original box sets from 1-16. The only benefit of buying 11-16 (the fillers) was to get the complete deck of playing cards. I held out on buying the sets until I got them for roughly $20 each at the time. But for buying them in a double set, you just get twice of much pain as it was originally intended.

I have nothing to say about these episodes. The only "good" filler episodes in Naruto happened before the 80 episode long filler arc. The Anko episode was interesting, but it's not worth buying this set just to see one (or it could of been two) good episodes.

well i say other wise. sure some fillers are not as good to watch , but now all of them are cringe worthy. Definitely agree about the anko arch. also the raiga as well as the bettle arc & prison break arc. the ediot brothers fuggin and raiggn were down right funny. So stupid but insainely strong.

In a way , it depends on the person , I for one think the box set is a rental at best , though I'm definitely getting it for my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1